Iron levels | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:54 PM
Iron levels

Hi all,

It looks like most have serious bleeding problems, I am guessing we all have anemia, how low can we go? My doc says I lost 15% in 3 weeks, and I am so so tierd...I have always been anemic I even had throat surgery as a rare disorder due to lack of iron created a web in my throat and it was closed to the size of a pea...Funny though I woke up durning the out patient surgery with a thing in my throat and the male doctors crotch within reach....well I hit him, that will teach them to knock ya out.

anyway how low can our counts go to have safe surgery?

thanks again
M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Iron levels

I had a coonversation with my nurse about this last week. She said that 10 is considered low and needs to be watched, and that it can never go below 7, any lower than that is dangerous.

Are you on an iron supplement now? If not, you might want to talk to your dr to see if you should start one.

Kedi
Unread 04-22-2004, 01:28 AM
Iron levels

Omg, that was funny! Glad my surgeon is female and short.

My hemo was just over 6 last October, they couldn't believe I was standing, let alone driving ect. I did end up quitting school because my bran was foggy and I had zero energy.

I worked with a hematologist all winter/spring and its finally up to 13.5. yay! They'll test mine again in the morning and make sure its still ok, they want it at 10 or higher. My surgery is at 10:30, but I need to be there early for the extra blood work.

I guess that didn't really answer your question did it? I'ld have to say I'm not sure how low it can be and still be ok for surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2004, 03:31 AM
Iron levels

Hi M….
I just returned from the castle yesterday. When it was discovered that I needed surgery my count was at 8…when I was taken in for emergency surgery it had raised to 10 with the help of an iron supplement. (Hemocyre-Plus) My doctor told me that 10 was still a precarious level and that he would be ready to do a transfusion if the situation warranted. But we needed to proceed with the surgery because he was afraid that we would lose the opportunity if my bleeding were to continue in this manner for any length of time. (And from experience, it would do so.)
So we did the surgery and it ended with no transfusion necessary!

Good luck to you!
Janet
Unread 04-22-2004, 06:06 AM
Iron levels

thanks ladies

I was a 10 the other day that is up (hey where 10's_ like the movie!!!!

my doc has said no transfusions yet as it it to dangerous I told him I did not care about HIV I believe the test it the blood well I just want energy but for months I have just gotten iron pills as Iron IV is dangerous too.....it is confusing, more on your doctors opionions if you have any?

thanks off to work, oh ya I need to get dressed huh!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register