I Thought This Was Interesting | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I Thought This Was Interesting I Thought This Was Interesting

Unread 04-21-2004, 08:20 AM
I Thought This Was Interesting

When I was at my pre-op yesterday the nurse was telling me about leaving all valuables at home. She said the standard about a wedding band being okay. I wear three rings on my ring finger (3 stones for the past, present, future then my plain wedding band, and then my engagement ring), so I asked if that was okay. She said that they would put a bandaid on them, and they would try really hard to make sure it was the cotton part and not the sticky part that gets on the stones. I told her I would just leave them with DH before surgery, and then get them back when I was out. The reason she said that they don't want you wearing rings is because when you are really relaxed from being put under that they will not fit the same way and could fall off, and here I thought it was other reasons.

Also I told her that I found a really great web site and she asked me if it was hyster sisters, and said that she tells everyone that there for a hysterectomy about the site since it's so wonderful!

5 more days!! I was just thinking this morning that a week from today I will be coming home for the castle!! I can't wait! The pain was so horrible last night that I would rate it at least an 8, and I am not even near AF... had my last one 2 weeks ago!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2004, 08:29 AM

I'm surprised that they would allow jewlery in a surgery setting anyway.
I never took a chance with losing mine and left them home. You may want to consider this also because there is a chance that the arm the IV is put in may swell....and it may just be the left hand that swells. Just my
Unread 04-21-2004, 08:39 AM

I have worn my wedding ring for a d&c but it was so i would keep calm because it was like a piece of hubs came with me but that was just a small procedure. For this one I will prob take it off just to be safe , I never thought of the swelling factor

Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2004, 08:54 AM

I can't seem to stop laughing, because I've put on a few pounds since I found out about the surgery... I'm a little stressed.. and I don't think I can get my wedding and engagement rings off...LOL

I guess it's time to cut down on the *feeling sorry for myself* ice cream...LOL

T
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:21 AM

aaaawww, does that mean I have to cut down on all the "feeling sorry for myself easter chocolate"?

When I went for preop the last time, they said absolutely NO JEWELLERY of any kind. They even made me take off my medic-alert bracelet and give it to hubby to hold on to.

Tam
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:42 AM

"Feeling sorry for myself ice cream".......would that be the same as the 92 gallons of "divorce ice cream" I ate and gained 50 pounds on 3 years ago?...just wondering....(wink, wink)
Unread 04-21-2004, 01:47 PM

They told me to take off my rings before surgery or they would cut them off!
I left them at home for safe keeping.

When my daughter went into the hosp we asked where the room phone was. We were told you have to ask for one. If they leave them in the room people unplug them and steal them.
Unread 04-21-2004, 04:07 PM

I've got a belly button ring, I dreading taking that out. I DON'T want to see the hole it left and I'm not looking forward to putting it back in. Something tells me I won't get anybody else to offer, so I'll need to figure out how to bend far enough to find the silly hole,lol.

They told me that they remove all jewelry because they use an electric wand thing to cauterize. Any jewelry has the potential to be a nasty burn spot if an electric spark jumps.

Not sure if I really wanted the mental image of somebody with a soldering iron standing over me during suregery, but to late now.
Unread 04-22-2004, 05:48 AM

At my pre-op appointment the anesthesiologist said it was fine if I left my wedding band and engagement ring on and they would be taped.
When I got to the hospital for my surgery the next day the nurse in charge told me to get them off or they will cut them off. I told her the anesthesiologist said I could leave them on and she said go ahead they will cut them off. I was so upset and crying, I had NEVER had them off. My husband hugged me tight and told me it was okay, he would wear them on his chain around his neck and place them back on my finger as soon as possible! So, we went into the bathroom and soaped them up good and they came off, I was hoping they wouldn't budge but I didn't want them cut off .....
It was the saddest day of my life thus far.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register