Post op - what can I do physically? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post op - what can I do physically? Post op - what can I do physically?

Unread 04-22-2004, 04:03 AM
Post op - what can I do physically?

Hello
I am a LIW. I read that after surgery we should not do much except rest. What are we permitted to do? Hopefully my Dr will give me a very detailed list but sometimes they are pretty general.

So I would really appreciate if someone who got detailed info would respond.

Example, is a gallon of milk to heavy to life when I get home ? What about my 11 pound cat?

I will be alone during the day from the first day I come home. I need to be very careful and heal well as I must get back to work as soon as possible in order to pay rent and feed myself.
I would appreciate your do's and don't's
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2004, 04:59 AM

Every doctor is different. Mine said no more than 20 lbs. My friend was told 10 lbs. That includes pounds of pressure, just not lifting. For example, pushing a full grocery cart - a no no, moving furniture - no no. Even opening a heavy car door.

For the first few weeks bending over to pick things up. Some have purchased a tool that is used for the elderly to pick up items they've dropped. A long wand with pinchers at the end.

drink plenty of water and make sure to get up and walk around and use the bathroom about every hour.

Good luck, for me, it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared.

Judy
Unread 04-22-2004, 05:53 AM

Hi,

Hopefully your doctor will tell you what you should and should not be doing, but just in case s/he doesn't (some just aren't very forthcoming with the information), here's a list of do's and don't's which may help: Do’s and Don’ts

Your first couple of weeks home, you'll basically want to do nothing but rest and take short, frequent walks. It's easy to overdo it during this time, because your body may be under the influence of pain meds and anesthesia for several weeks which can make you feel a little too good. After these effects wear off and you're body is no longer numb from them, you may notice more aches and pains. If you listen to your body, it will tell you (hopefully not too late) what is and is not too much.

As for lifting, I found after my surgery that I instantly knew if what I was trying to pick up was too heavy. You'll feel a tugging or pulling sensation in your incision. I bought milk in 1/2 gallons, instead of gallons, just so I wouldn't have to pick up the gallon jug.

Again, listen to your body and get plenty of rest and you should be fine.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2004, 06:02 AM

princessraye,

I was told not to lift anything over 10 lbs. But my mother was told nothing heavier than a coffee cup. I think it depends on the Dr. He/she knows how invasive your surgery ends up being. For myself, a full gallon of milk was too heavy. I could feel the weight in my abdomen everytime I picked up something too heavy.

Listen to your Dr, but most of all, listen to your body. If it feels too heavy, it is. I think picking up 11 lb kitty will be too much. But I'm no Doc!

You will be in my prayers. It is no fun being alone to heal. My DH went back to work 3 days after I came home from the hospital. Make sure you have easy eats while you are alone in order to take pain meds as needed.
Unread 04-22-2004, 06:40 AM

Mine said lift nothing over 10 pounds, no steps unless I absolutely had to and then take them 1 at a time. Course no sex! No driving, ironing, vacuuming stuff like that. The hosp. or Dr. should give you a list of do's and don'ts when you go home. Bending at the waist is not advisable, bend at the knees. Your body will help you figure out what to do and not do. But even if you feel really good, take it easy and spend most of your time resting.
Unread 04-22-2004, 06:51 AM

Although you won't be bedridden when you get home, the first couple of weeks you are going to feel like sleeping more than anything.

I didn't have a weight limit for lifting, my instructions said just arm lifting only, nothing that involved the abs at all. Which is pretty much everything

Being home alone make sure you have a cordless phone with you at all times - when you're laying down, when you go to the bathroom, whatever. This way if there is a problem you don't have to try to get to the phone, it's right there.

Best wishes.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register