pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:03 PM
pain

I am having my hysterectomy on November 2nd because I am getting married October 29th so I asked my doctor to let me get through that first. I was surprised it was sudden. My only real fear is pain control. I cant take narcotics. I get extremely sick. Are there any good options besides narcotics or will I have to have strong pain meds to get through in the beginning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Re: pain

Hi! You didn't say what type of surgery you were having done. Some sisters have to have more extensive things done during the surgery. I had the Da Vinci, hysterectomy including cervix, and was able to keep the ovaries. I only had tramedol (?) at the hospital and was sent home in 24 hrs. I was on hydrocodone that made me sick, so the doctor told me to just take motrin as needed. I didn't need that after three days. So, pain depends on each person's threshhold and what is being done.

I would definitely talk to your doctor. There are so many different pain meds. There is bound to be something that you would be comfortable taking. My doctor apologized about the one she sent me home with, but I told her that she nor I knew I would be allergic.

Blessings to you !
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:36 PM

I didnt say what type because I dont know. I went to see my doctor today about all the problems and he said because I have had them for 3 years and because my 2 csections had caused so much damage I had to have a hysterectomy. He scheduled me for surgery but he did a biopsy today which was painful by the way. I go back to see him next friday for all the specifics. I know he cant do laproscopic because of scar tissue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2011, 08:44 PM

I threw up all the time when they last gave me opiates. This time, I went home with a prescription pill for nausea as well. All moot, because I'm on my fourth day of healing and only once after the first day did I need anything stronger than Ibuprophen.

Talk to your doctor about the specifics of what you took and experienced before: they really do have a garden of options to choose from these days.
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:59 PM

I had 2 c sections and the only pain meds I took for those was motrin. I am hoping for the same thing with this. It was a shock to me but i have 6 weeks to plan so that is what I am attempting to do. Thanks for the info.
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:02 PM

Toradol is a good non-narcotic pain medication.
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Yes, toradol

Thanks Catherine! I couldn't remember the name. I do remember that it just worked and I had no side effects.

trouble 0907: If you did c-sections with only motrin, I'm feeling that you have a pretty high tolerance level. I, too, had two c-sections. The doctor said my bladder and uterus had adhesed very tightly. However, she still did the DaVinci. I am so sorry that your adhesions are too severe for laproscopic. On the encouraging side, maybe the removal of all those problems will give you relief in the end. It is so hard to get the need for surgery news in a sudden way.
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:16 PM

I keep reading about that so I think that may be a good option for me to try.
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:21 PM

Yes I kinda knew it would happen just not so soon. Besides the c sections I have had laproscopic surgery 4 times in the last 3 years. There is so much scar tissue my doctor said there was no way he could do it that way. I have a fairly high tolerance for pain. But 2 years ago he did a d & c, hysteroctomy (i think thats right) ablation, and removed adhesions all at once. That was painful. I had a tough time with that.
Unread 09-17-2011, 08:18 AM

Hi there! I'm 3 days post-op, and my pain has been well-controlled with Ibuprofen. In the hospital, I had Percocet and Dilaudid which both made me very nauseated, so now I'm just on Ibuprofen (and also came home with anti-nausea pills to use as needed, although it seems to be under control now). I do take Vicodin before bed, and since I go right to sleep it doesn't make me sick like the other narcs did in the hospital. I guess I just wanted to let you know that, depending on your pain tolerance, it is possible to manage post-op pain with Ibuprofen and not have to use narcs.

I also used a heating pad while in the hospital, and an abdominal binder. Both were very helpful (I still have my binder on, in fact!). The heat from the heating pad aggravated my nausea, so be careful of that. Changing positions has helped the pain, too.

Hang in there, I have faith that you will be fine! Let your nurses know beforehand that you don't react well to narcs and they will work with you to find alternate measures that will help.

Thinking of you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register