Pre-op Nerves | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op Nerves Pre-op Nerves

Unread 12-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Pre-op Nerves

Hi there I am wondering how everyone got over the pre-op nerves? I am having a hard time with it, especially since I am registered and talked to the nurse and now all I have to do is show up on Tuesday Jan 3rd 2012. I know it needs to be done, but wow how it's ending a phase in my life.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Re: Pre-op Nerves

I kept super busy with work and with preparations. I must say that at night, sleeping was difficult because of all the dreams about the surgery. As it turned out for me, my biggest worry was being in pain and that didn't happen. If you find that you are too anxious, let your doctor know and he or she may give you something if you need it. Otherwise, take a deep breath and keep yourself occupied. Good luck on Tuesday!
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:28 PM

I played bejeweled & the delicious games! LOL! I agree with Danni, keep busy. Get all your things ready to go for your stay/home recovery, do your cleaning etc. And come here.
That's what I did & it helped. As for the dreams, drink some hot tea & watch friends before bed, always emptys my head of anything serious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2011, 08:01 AM

I stayed busy, too, and spent time with people who just let me talk out loud about how I was feeling. Oh, and my doctor gave me an Ativan for the night before and another for the morning of the surgery. It helped a lot.

Like Danni, I was most afraid of the pain. Would I be able to cope? How long would I be out of commission? As it turned out, the pain management prescribed by my doctor was more than adequate, and I wasn't nearly as helpless as I thought I might be. I still rely on the support of my loved ones, but I am also able to be pretty independent, and have been from the beginning.

The best advice I received is, "Listen to your body". You will know what your limits are, and take gentle care of yourself within those limits.

Take care!
Unread 12-30-2011, 04:18 PM

Hi, I've got the pre-op nerves as well. My surgery is scheduled for February 13. When the nurse called me today to schedule my medical clearing test. That's when the nerves really hit me. I am more nervous about being put to sleep. Any advice
Unread 12-30-2011, 05:07 PM

I totally understand your nervousness, I've been there. If this helps at all, I had a LSH with many repairs, ya your uncomfortable for a few days but as far as pain I had no pain just take it easy for the first week everyday gets better and better. There really isn't anything to be afraid of just think what women had to go through years before all our wonderful technology today, I was so freaked out before my operation cuz I never had surgery before but realized I was nervous for nothing, I wish you well you'll see, you'll do just fine. Cat
Unread 12-30-2011, 07:40 PM

At the hospital I went to, I had to meet with the anaesthesiologist three weeks before the surgery to go over my medical history and to ask any questions I had. He told me that the new medications were really good, and that they automatically treat all of the common problems, like nausea, as part of being put under. I actually walked into the operating room, laid down on the table, and I remember them starting the IV, but that was it until I woke up in my room. Everything was all set up for my pain management, so it really wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be. Compared to how I felt before, this is SO much better!
Unread 12-31-2011, 07:03 AM

I feel you anxiety cause I was there almost 3 weeks ago. Now I'm feeling great and so glad I did this. Them 2 week heavy periods were awful! Keep busy and use this site! I can't believe how helpful it is still! If you're interested I wrote about my experience in a post titled "My story!! And it's a good one!!!" you can find it under my name. Good luck and cyber hugs to you
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:51 AM

Hello, I am new here. Just went to the fourth doctor and got the fourth opinion that I need a hysterectomy but this one agreed to leave my ovaries. I have an ultrasound scheduled 01/12/12 and then my surgery will be scheduled from there. At this point, he is saying he will do at TLH.

I am more comfortable with the idea of less scarring and leaving my ovaries but still very nervous about being put under, the pain and length of my recovery and most of all.... will this really help me or just give me a list of different symptoms?? I have multiple fibroids, heavy bleeding that interferes with my life and uterine prolapse.

I want to believe that all the pain, discomfort and issues I am having now will be better after this surgery and that it will be worth it.
Unread 01-01-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shertherapy View Post
Hello, I am new here. Just went to the fourth doctor and got the fourth opinion that I need a hysterectomy but this one agreed to leave my ovaries. I have an ultrasound scheduled 01/12/12 and then my surgery will be scheduled from there. At this point, he is saying he will do at TLH.

I am more comfortable with the idea of less scarring and leaving my ovaries but still very nervous about being put under, the pain and length of my recovery and most of all.... will this really help me or just give me a list of different symptoms?? I have multiple fibroids, heavy bleeding that interferes with my life and uterine prolapse.

I want to believe that all the pain, discomfort and issues I am having now will be better after this surgery and that it will be worth it.
I hear you Shertherapy! I was so nervous too before my surgery. I also had huge fibroids that affected my life. I'm almost 3 weeks post-opt (tomorrow) and feel so much better than before. I am so glad I went through this surgery and look forward to this year now without my terrible "Aunt Flo!" Keep busy and read pre and post opt posts here on HysterSister. They helped me a lot and still do! Believe me the whole procedure and recovery is worse in your head then it actually is. I wrote about my surgery experience if you want to read it. It's titled, "My Story!! And It's a good one!!!" You can find it under my name. Good luck and hugs to you!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register