Scheduled TLH recovery from lap surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

recovery from lap surgery recovery from lap surgery

Unread 01-05-2012, 07:34 PM
recovery from lap surgery

So bummed I typed a response in the post-op forum about recovering from lap and got it kicked out b/c my surgery date has not arrived yet. It was good to hear the ladies responses about how recovery from lap isn't the cakewalk everybody says it is. I'm worried about this since my husband thinks I'll be fine fast since he was ok in a week after hernia lap surgery, and my doc will only give me 2 weeks off after. After reading the other posts at least I won't feel crazy if I haven't bounced back in 2 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Re: recovery from lap surgery

Everyone heals differently and at different rates. Keep in mind that those that heal very quickly tend not to post a lot. But, you do not know how you will recover until you are there.

Having said that, keep in mind that having a hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY. My understanding is that the only thing more major is open heart surgery. No matter how the surgery is performed, they are still removing an internal organ and you will have many internal stitches. Healing will take time. And bouncing back in one week will probably not happen.

You might have your husband read mister hystersisters so he knows what you are up against. Good luck to you.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 01-05-2012, 09:45 PM

Caroline, I had Robotic assisted Lap hyst. My doctor said I might be feeling ok in 8 to 12 days, but told me I would need to be out of work for at least 3 weeks, maybe longer. I heal pretty fast normally, but this is invasive surgery, no matter how its done. The swelling lasts a long time, and makes you tired. I went back to work at 26 days, and I was exausted and sore after a half day.
But am feeling really good most of the time. Just get really tired fast.
Don't worry to much..read the posts to be prepared, and have a LONG talk with your doctor before your surgery date arrives....ask all those nagging questions and what if's so you will feel more at ease.

Hoping your procedure goes perfectly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2012, 10:39 PM

Mine wasn't lap but this *might* help some. Back in Feb I had just my right ovary and tube out via lap. Not nearly as involved as a hyst and was out of work a week and a half. Even then I was slow going and worked half days the rest of that week
Unread 01-06-2012, 02:29 AM
recovery from lap surgery

I had my TLH 12/7/11 and I returned to work today, 29 days after the surgery. My Dr suggested 4 weeks off and I'm glad I took it!! Here are a few of my recommendations:
1. Check out your FMLA Leave & see if you qualify for a longer amount of time off.
2. Buy the Swelly Belly band from this site. I lived in mine from the first moment I stood up to pee at the hospital. It helps when sitting, standing and is a life saver if you are a side sleeper like me.
3. Make a list of what to pack for the hosp. I brought everything and needed 1/4 of it. The hospitals supply some of the basics and it's quite nice.
4. A pillow for your tummy, to just cuddle for comfort.
5. I have 3 incision sites, 2 on my belly right at the waistline for ALL of my pants and one in my belly button. Wear loose wasted pants that you can roll or pull below your incision areas. It hurts when the waist rubbs against them...
6. Stool softeners come in really handy post op. The bm's are uncomfortable and I swore I could feel every inch of movement.
7. If you want visitors, You may have to ask people to come see you. Most people I know stayed away because they wanted to let me heal. I felt better when I had visitors and I thrived on the positive energy. Don't be afraid to ask!
8. This web-site! I was on here daily and there is nothing like the support from a of your other sisters on here.
I wish you the best in your journey!! If you need a shoulder, let me know. I'm always up to chatting.
~Megs
Unread 01-06-2012, 08:17 PM

Thanks for all the words of wisdom! I hadn't thought about how a lot of ladies with good experiences may not be posting. Well, I tell you, if I have a good experience, I am posting! That way women can see that it's not bad for everyone. Loved the list CrimsonVixen! Straight and to the point. It is amazing how many women are touched by this, not just from seeing the website, but I can't believe how many women at my job have spoken up about their experiences since hearing I will be having surgery. My husband says I'm obsessed with this website
Unread 01-06-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline12 View Post
Thanks for all the words of wisdom! I hadn't thought about how a lot of ladies with good experiences may not be posting. Well, I tell you, if I have a good experience, I am posting! That way women can see that it's not bad for everyone. Loved the list CrimsonVixen! Straight and to the point. It is amazing how many women are touched by this, not just from seeing the website, but I can't believe how many women at my job have spoken up about their experiences since hearing I will be having surgery. My husband says I'm obsessed with this website
I think we are all a little obsessed with this website....before I found it I felt pretty alone! My best freind and I talk about EVERYTHING,....she lost an ovary a few years ago...BUT, she hasn't had a hystorectomy and so she can't speak to the issues of swelly belly, or loss of vaginal feeling, or any of the other things I am wanting support or information about. Glad you are helped by the support!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register