The DOG | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:46 PM
The DOG

Before I start, I must state that I do LOVE my 3 year old black lab Tyson. However, Tyson is driving me nuts during my recovery. He wants to jump on my lap in the worst way. (he weighs about 100lbs.) He keeps barking at me and wants my constant attention. He's normally not this needy. I am so nervous that he is going to jump on me and hurt me. I had my husband prepare a frozen peanut butter kong for tomorrow to hopefully keep him occupied. Anybody else have dog issues? what helps? I find myself becoming frustrated with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Re: The DOG

Chickadee, anyway he can cuddle with you in bed for a little while? Let him up first then cuddle in beside him (wow that sounds like bliss). My dog wouldn't leave me alone for weeks after my surgery and I found that worked.
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:08 PM

I think he senses mommy is not feeling well and is actually trying to be more more loving. I was so worried about my 3 poodles walking over my stomachs like a Riley bridge as they are used to do, but the have been amazingly cautious and i just give them a "hairy eyebal" if they get too close.
I agree, try cuddling, and make sure you have a pillow over that area in case he gets to close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2013, 08:29 PM

I can relate!! I have a 90lb malamute mix that was two years old when I had my hyster. I kept pillows around me and my BFF took her for a walk almost every day...which she LOVED and kept her energy level in check. Do you have someone who can walk her for you? I hope the PB kong gets her (and you) through the day tomorrow.

Unread 01-23-2013, 08:54 PM

I have a certified therapy dog, MacKenzie. She took care of me lol. She doesn't go on the beds or furniture, her choice, she's totally allowed if she wants to! But she was very very cuddly after my surgery. You smell differently to him when you are Ill, when you have your period, etc so they can definitely smell that you have had a physical change, and also you are moving gingerly. Dogs communicate with the flick of an ear or inaudible whine so you are speaking volumes . Your big furry baby wants to help you feel better! The idea if letting him in the bed first and just hugging him is great. The kong is fabulous. Do you ever fill it with a piece of chicken and chicken soup ( not canned its too salty) and freeze it.

Spend as much time as possible just schmoozing the dog and letting him know you're ok and will be better soon.

How sweet you have such a lovely dog! I've been training dogs since I was a teenager. My husky mix Disney would have leapt onto me in a heartbeat. Mac is just a gentle gal.
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:01 PM

Also Meka was spot on with the exercise. Make sure he's getting the same amount of exercise as usual. A three year old lab should be about two hours a day broken into two sessions. If that's what he is used to. Dont overdo if he's not up to it. Since No one walks Mac but me, I had friends come and run her in the yard with a ball. Luckily she lives to fetch! good luck and send him puppy kisses.
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:58 PM

Dogs know when you are injured. They can smell pain, blood etc. very well and I think we also give off vibes they pick up on. The sweethearts are just being protective. Although I must say my beagle didn't act too differently. She did (and still does) cuddle more but other than that she has made no effort to avoid my belly. The biggest thing that concerns her is FOOD, as it is with most beagles. She's just not as loving as other breeds but there have been some changes in her. I think she just found out that cuddling up to me is rather comfortable for her and she's making the most of it!
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:04 PM

I have a 22lb cat - and he insisted on kneading my stomach - the more I pushed him off, the more he tried to sit on me!! Our pets are our needy children apparently :-) They instinctively know we are not well, so they want to be close
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:09 PM

I told well-meaning people that in lieu of bringing me meals the best way they can help me is to come and walk my dog
Unread 01-24-2013, 12:38 AM

My 60 lb English Bully has been terribly needy and clingy since my surgery (two weeks tomorrow) she does normally sleep in the bed but has been kicked out a time or two since my surgery date because I can't get comfy and hate fighting her for the covers!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register