Preparing for Surgery, PLEASE HELP! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Preparing for Surgery, PLEASE HELP! Preparing for Surgery, PLEASE HELP!

Unread 02-13-2002, 07:01 PM
Preparing for Surgery, PLEASE HELP!

Seeking any information concerning hysterectomy. My doctor has suggested a complete hysterectomy with HRT. My surgery is scheduled for February 20th and I am about to go out of my mind thinking about the unknown. Please Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2002, 07:12 PM

Dear Jordan,

Welcome to HysterSisters You didn't say what your symptoms are to warrant hysterectomy... Have you had more than one medical opinion? This is major surgery, and if it's not a medical emergency, perhaps you would find comfort in seeking out other options and medical opinions.

You can find lots of info in the pull-down menus here. Make a list of questions to ask your doc. Keep reading & posting. Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 02-14-2002, 10:24 AM

Dear Jordan:
I urge you to obtain a second or even a third medical opinion. I hope your doc has your "fully informed consent". You may wish to visit www.H-E-R-S.com.
Good Luck
Be Well
Hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2002, 10:51 AM

Hi, Jordan1,

There's no doubt about it; there's both positive and negative information available about hysterectomy.

In my opinion, the HERS foundation is devoted to providing negative information. Most of the adverse effects reported in the HERS statistics can be successfully reversed by the use of hormone replacement therapy.

On the other hand, most of the women who share their personal experiences with their Hystersisters report feeling great after they recover. Because we're all different, with different medical conditions and different needs, I'd encourage any woman considering a hysterectomy to obtain at least two medical opinions before choosing the surgery.

To read personal experiences, try the pulldown menus on the Hystersisters home page, where ladies tell their stories. There's also a forum on the message boards, where more ladies tell about their personal experiences with hysterectomy.

When it comes time to make your own decision, only you and your doctor can decide what's best for YOU. Good luck with making that choice, and please feel free to ask questions, vent, and post your concerns. Hystersisters is an open-minded website, and we're here for you.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 02-14-2002, 01:22 PM

HysterSisters is indeed a wonderful website. I wish I had the opportunity to learn about the website before my surgery. I had a TAH/BSO on 9/29/00 at 42 yrs old and my body went into "hormonal shock" after the surgery, as do most premenopausal women who lose their ovaries.

I have been to 2 doctors, who referred me to another doctor. At this point is when I spoke to Nora Coffee at HERS. It is my understanding that HERS provides full accurate information about the alternatives to and the consequences of hysterectomies and will assist you in referrals. I finally spent hours on this website and read books by Christiane Northrup, M.D., Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom; by John Lee, M.D., What Doctors May not Tell you About Menopause; and The Estrogen Alternative by Raquel Martin. After reading these books, one begins to question the protocol practiced by most doctors with respect to treating both pre and post hysterectomy symptoms. If I had it to go over again, I would have kept my wonderful uterine contractions during orgasm at least for a while longer.............
Unread 02-19-2002, 06:41 AM

HI LOOKS LIKE YOUR SURGERY IS TOMORROW... MY NAME IS TARRISH I AM 24 YEARS OLD AND A MOMMY OF 3 LIL ONES. I SUFFERED FROM ENDO ,WENT THROUGH THE LUPERON SHOTS TO FIND I WAS STILL IN PAIN... I HAD ADNEOMYOSIS AND PELVIC CONGESTION SYDROME AND BOTH WERE NOT DIAGONOSED TILL I HAD MY HYST. I HAVE NO IDEA AS TO WHAT YOUR SITUATION IS BUT I CAN TELL YOU I AM 6 WEEKS POST HYST AND VERY HAPPY THAT ALL THAT STUFF IS OVER AND GONE AND I WILL NOW HAVE A PAIN FREE PERIOD FREE LIFE. i CAN NOW ENJOY MY KIDS AND DO THINGS WITH THEM I WAS IN TOO MUCH PAIN TO DO BEFORE. I WAS SUFFERING FROM DEPRESSION AND PANIC ATTACKS THEY WENT WITH MY HYST. I FEEL LIKE A NEW WOMAN AND ALL MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY HAVE MADE COMMENTS ON IT. EVEN MY DOC NOTICED IT. MY HUBBY TELLS ME CONSTANTLY HOW MUCH BETTER I LOOK AND ACT. I WAS GROUCHY, IRRITABLE, AND FLAT OUT MISERABLE. BUT THAT IS ALL OVER AND GONE I FEEL LIKE I DID THE BEST THING TO IMPROVE MY QUAILITY OF LIFE.

GOOD LUCK SWEETIE. HERE IS A BIG BUNCH OF HEALING HUGS AND PRAYERS FOR YA.... I HOPE TO SEE YA ON THE POST OP SIDE REAL SOON

TARRISH
Unread 02-19-2002, 07:55 AM

princesstar, I'm so glad to hear that. I scheduled my surgery for June 7th and can't wait. I know it's a long time away, but I want to wait until my kids are out of school. My husband keeps telling me how I am not the same person because I am always in pain and moody, and etc, etc. I don't want to be in pain anymore. All I'm thinking now is three more periods and that's it. It's simple, but when I'm feeling like I do right now, it seems so long. My period is late and I've already had almost two and a half weeks of pain and moodiness. Really bad cramps for the past week and no sign of it being over yet for this month.
I pray that my experience is as good as yours.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register