Scheduled TLH TLH and dog walking | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TLH and dog walking TLH and dog walking

Unread 04-27-2013, 03:38 AM
TLH and dog walking

I have a 100 pound dog that sometimes pulls when you walk her. Any idea how long I'll have to wait to walk her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2013, 04:17 AM
Re: TLH and dog walking

my restrictions were no pushing, pulling or lift anything over 3kg/10lb for 6 weeks and I needed the 6 weeks. Then you are supposed to easy back into lifting. Is there someone that can hold the lead and you walk with them? Walking is very good during recovery, although you probably won't be able to go too far to begin with.
Unread 04-27-2013, 04:26 AM

Thanks. i heard about the lifting restriction, but I wondered about pulling. I have a yard so she can go out on her own to potty so that won't be an issue. I like to walk with her for exercise, but I guess I will only be able to do that if someone else comes with me. I also take her in the car a lot. I hope after a week or two I can walk her to the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2013, 04:34 AM

Oh and I forgot to say I was also told not bending or stretching upwards. I didn't find the walking too hard but you may just have to see how you feel. In fact getting out even for a short distance was good for the sanity and helps with thing like gas. I hope you find a dog walker to help as you may find that walking the dog may be therapeutic. Good luck with it all.
Unread 04-27-2013, 05:30 AM

I have two dogs, and I miss walking them! My plan though, is to wait at least 8 weeks. The thing with pulling dogs is that it's not predictable, they may yank in an unexpected direction at any time. I think we just have to be patient, and I wish you good luck finding someone to help you.
Unread 04-27-2013, 03:32 PM

Hi Stacie-we've been chatting on your other questions about op post.
I highly recommend getting a small thick pillow for your tummy to keep handy when your pet decides to be a lap dog. Mine has proved invaluable as I have both dogs and cats. I purchased my tummy pillow from this site but any thick small one can work.
I agree definitely no pulling a leash as you can damage your internal organs that are healing.
Best of luck.
Unread 04-27-2013, 04:13 PM

I walk my cat. He weighs 13 lbs. Late last fall, we were out walking when he pulled in an expected direction while I was standing on a patch of ice. I wrenched around trying to keep my balance and in the process did something my shoulder. The shoulder was still sore a month later.

Like I said, the cat weighs only 13 lbs.

What a 100-lb dog could do to someone who was recovering from a hysterectomy, I don't even want to think. Hire someone (neighbourhood teenager?) to hang on to the dog's leash while you walk along with them.
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the good advice. I will definitely ask my friends to help walk her with me.

I have a cat too. Thanks for the pillow advice. I saw the binding panties on the webdite as well and was wondering if they would make someone feel better or hurt more. They don't look comfortable.
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:25 PM

I must admit I wore granny panties and boy shorts! Not a fashion statement but boy were they comfy LOL
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:43 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me! It's all about comfort.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register