Scheduled TLH Upcoming hysterectomy 2/12: Cold before surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 2/12: Cold before surgery Upcoming hysterectomy 2/12: Cold before surgery

Unread 02-06-2015, 11:39 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/12: Cold before surgery

Hi there! I'm scheduled for the robotic total hysterectomy on Thursday for painful periods and adenymyosis, and I now my body decides to come down with a cold. So far it's just some nasal congestion, light coughing and a mild sore throat. Ive been drinking lots of orange juice and taking DayQuil to help nip this cold in the bud. But I'm nervous that my gyn might reschedule the procedure because I've already planned my time off of work and my relatives coming to help around the scheduled surgery. It's the weekend so I would have to wait until Monday to call my gyn doctor, anyone have any advice that has been through this? I greatly appreciate it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2015, 01:25 AM

I just had my hysterectomy Thursday 2/5 and had come down with a cold only days prior - Tuesday night. I was very worried about my surgery being cancelled, felt absolutely miserable the night before surgery as well. I spent the two days doing many saline nasal rinses, drinking lots of warm water, hot teas, hot/cold showers, and foot soaks. I had chills and body aches but no temp or coughing/congestion in my chest.

By the time I went into my surgery (and had kept from taking any medications so it wouldn't effect ability to have surgery), they went ahead and did it without an issue since I didn't have anything in my chest or a bad cough.

I felt fine when I woke up even though I had expected a horrible sore throat, I didn't have one.

I have had some mucus and chest congestion after the surgery which they said is due to laying down for so long the first day and was normal/expected.

I believe as long as you're not running a fever or chest congestion, you should be okay. You can also call your doctor ahead of time to see if they can suggest anything prior to surgery.

I hope this helps! I had been sick free this entire season so I was really bummed when I got sick just days before my surgery, of all days - luckily things went as planned and didn't mess up family/friends flying out to help with caring for myself and my preschooler over the next 3 weeks.

So far the only pain I've had recovering is extreme gas (I'm up pacing the house as I type this trying to get things moving).

Best of luck!!
Unread 02-07-2015, 01:30 AM

P.s. I also gargled with warm water and apple cider vinegar - can also do warm salt water to help with the sore throat.

I've found although orange juice has vitamin C, it tends to cause more congestion/phlegm in the chest. Everyone is different, but might be worth looking into something else that can cut back on the chest congestion better than orange juice does (I also avoid dairy products). I don't know if it'll help you, but I hope it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2015, 05:29 AM

Thank you! That actually does help, I'm gonna stop taking the DayQuil and just do the salt water gargle and take hot showers and baths. I hope that by taking the DayQuil I didn't ruin my chance for on time surgery
Unread 02-07-2015, 04:25 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 2/12: Cold before surgery

Hi Maus2351 -

I am sorry you have a cold. It really depends on your doctor and anesthesiologist if your surgery is cancelled.

Please have all OTC meds approved by your doctor - you never know what is restricted. Even doses of Vitamin C can be restricted. Since you have already taken some of these please inform your doctor when you call Monday.

In the meantime, drink plenty of fluids and get lots of rest. I hope you reel better soon.

Unread 02-07-2015, 11:23 PM

Thank you! I called the on call gyn at the hospital that I'll be having the surgery done at, and she said DayQuil was fine as long as I stop taking it 48 hours before the surgery. And she also said the only thing I can really take for any pain is Tylenol (started cramping this morning) and just plenty of fluids and rest.
Unread 02-08-2015, 07:21 PM

Hi Maus2351 -

Glad you contacted your doctor, and at least have an answer on the DayQuill.

Sorry you have cramping pain. Hope the Tylenol can at least make it bearable, or as close to bearable as can be.

Your surgery will be soon... just a few more days.

Unread 02-09-2015, 11:52 AM

Thank you, just called my regular gyn and he said I can take my prescribed naproxen until surgery time (thank goodness), these cramps are terrible!!!
Unread 02-09-2015, 05:48 PM

Try sinus rinses a few times a day, those can really be amazing at kicking a cold, good luck

Kimberly
Unread 02-09-2015, 07:09 PM

Hi Maus2351 -

I wanted to let you know that for many of the ladies on this site naproxen was restricted at 5 or more days before their surgeries, and they could not take it because of how it affects the blood. So like ibuprofen, asprin, fish oil, Vitamin C and other herbs and meds it was a big before surgery.

Everyone should check with their doctor before taking anything before their surgery - even if it is not on the restricted list. At the time of my surgery, I had been taking taking ground flax seed. It was not on the restricted list, but fish oil was. So I asked my doctor, because it is more out of the ordinary to take this, and they said I had to stop taking it too. It thins your blood, just like fish oil. I am so glad I called - you just never know - and your health is the most important thing in this whole process.

:hugs2u:

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register