Scheduled LAVH Upcoming hysterectomy 2/12: To keep an ovary or not...? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 2/12: To keep an ovary or not...? Upcoming hysterectomy 2/12: To keep an ovary or not...?

Unread 02-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/12: To keep an ovary or not...?

Hi all, my surgery is scheduled for the 12 this month, on Thursday. I have been going back and forth on whether to keep an ovary or not. I know Noone can tell me yes or no and I have to continue weighing my options, but just wanted to get some thoughts here. In a nutshell, I suffer from chronic pelvic pain from a combination of nerve damage from a hernia surgery as well as endometriosis and pelvic Congestion syndrome. I've tried all alternatives before resorting to the hysterectomy. Because I'm 31,my doc would like to keep one ovary and not throw me right into menopause. We are trying to stay away from hrt due to my sensitivity with hormones and migraines. However, even when on the pill for years, I develop cysts on my ovaries and feel them before they are even diagnosed. This is why I am considering having both ovaries removed and be done with it, otherwise I know they will have to go back in at some point and take it out. Thoughts? Tyia!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2015, 03:55 PM
Re: To keep an ovary or not...?

I too went back and forth on whether I should keep my ovaries. I was almost 51 when I had my surgery. My doctor recommended removing them because she said 51 is the average age they generally stop working and that would prevent having to have another surgery later. On the one side, some of the info that I read indicates that they continue producing some hormones after menopause and as a result provide health benefits. On the other side, my SIL has ovarian cancer that has spread and like her I didn't have any children which increases the risk. At my pre-op for my D&C, I asked my doctor if she could look at them when she did the hysterectomy and leave them if they looked good. Unfortunately, I forgot about that option when I had my pre-op for my hysterectomy and agreed for them to be removed. At least one had a cyst so one or both may have been removed anyway or they may not have functioned normally after surgery. But I also know once they are removed, they can't be put back.

I will say surgical menopause is definitely no fun. I started on HRT 5 weeks post-op and then increased the dose after 7 weeks. The higher dose is helping and I'm hoping I will do okay on it. While I'm glad my uterus is gone, the jury is still out on the ovaries and only time will tell.

In the end this is a decision only you can make. Gather info, talk with your doctor, and make an informed decision that is best for you.

Best wishes for your surgery and an uneventful recovery.
Unread 02-08-2015, 04:21 PM
Re: To keep an ovary or not...?

I am 35 and had stage 4 endo, my doc left one ovary in because even though the chance for it to come back is there it is reduced by having as much as possible excised out. She said that the benefits of keeping one at my age out weigh the negative aspects. She also told me even with removal of both ovaries if all of the endo was not removed, that any leftover endo can actually produce it's own estrogen and grow from that. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2015, 08:02 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 2/12: To keep an ovary or not...?

Hi Wildflower039 to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

At age 46, I had a TAH BSO, loosing both ovaries. I did not have a choice. Surgical menopause for me was MISERABLE!!!. I am on HRT, but it is not the same as my own natural hormones. If I had a choice, I would have kept one of both ovaries.

Here is an article that may provide information to you: Should I Keep My Ovaries or Not if I Have Endometriosis?.

As always, you need to make the right decision for you and for your long term health, given all of your current medical condition. Discuss all of your concerns with your doctor.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register