Anyone had the pain block for hysterectomy surgery? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone had the pain block for hysterectomy surgery? Anyone had the pain block for hysterectomy surgery?

Unread 02-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Anyone had the pain block for hysterectomy surgery?

I'm scheduling my hysterectomy for a month or so out and my doctor mentioned that they do a pain block before putting you under, did anyone else have this done? Is it like an epidural?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2015, 09:06 AM
Re: Anyone had the pain block for surgery?

Hi, I'm not sure if we're talking about the exact same thing but when I had my hysterectomy, I was given an epidural while I was awake. Once I was under, I was given tap blocks. The doctor suggested both of these so that I'd wake up in minimal pain, and I did. Where exactly are the pain blocks going?
Unread 02-10-2015, 09:08 AM

That sounds like it, he said he will call me in a week and I will ask him. He said they don't do a lot of iv meds to much after recovery so I'm thinking this really helps with pain, I'm hoping so at least!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2015, 09:33 AM

Hi,
When I had my Hyster, my dr recomended a "preop" spinal block.
I had no pain after surgery. Just gas pains the next morning. The spinal was done before I was put under.
Unread 02-10-2015, 09:49 AM

Awesome! Thank you ladies!! I hope the gas isn't to terrible!
Unread 02-10-2015, 12:16 PM

I had a spinal block done when I was awake but they put into my IV something to relax me first and I don't even remember getting it done.

I vaguely remember throwing up in recovery but never opened my eyes. Next thing I recall is putting me on a back board to move me from recovery bed to my room bed where I would stay the night. It's the only time I remember pain or discomfort or nausea in between being woken up and it was faint momentary minutes before I fell bad asleep.

When I woke up later in my room I didn't have any pain.

The evening I had trouble sleeping so by midnight they gave me Benadryl and I slept til they woke me up at 5 am for a blood draw and medications.

Peeing took 42 minutes! I was weak, shaky, and needed help to the toilet but still felt no pain.

Before noon I had a few bites to eat of oatmeal, was still somewhat nauseated but had to eat to be discharged. Then walked the halls twice and did 2 sets of stairs to show I could walk/stand on my own so they could call the doctor to discharge me.

It wasn't until the following morning - between 48-72 hours after surgery that I was in excruciating pain - gas pains like I've never before in my life endured!! I took stool softeners, teas, smooth move, ginger & lemon, plus gas x etc. Ate fiber and constantly sipped warm water. I was finally able to have a BM before 72 hour mark and that gave a lot of relief in the lower area. However the gas pains under ribs and both shoulders continued for 24-48 hours.

Going in for surgery I was the most terrified of the thought of a spinal block yet that turned out to be the easiest part for me, it also got rid of the headache I had going into surgery! I am grateful I had it done.
Unread 02-10-2015, 12:29 PM

Jenee thank you, that is good info! I do ok with anesthesia no sickness from having the tubal, and ablation done 2 years ago, so I'm hoping I don't get sick. I do remember gas pain being bad for my gal bladder surgery. That was bad! I hope I do as good as you and get out of the hospital quick sense I have asthma I don't need to catch anything!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register