Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 14, 2016 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 14, 2016 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 14, 2016

Unread 02-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 14, 2016

Hi I am Tamika. I am 34 years old and I have a soon to be 14 year old daughter. My surgery is Feb 18. Having the laparscopic method hysterectomy. The plan is to keep my ovaries unless there is any unforeseen issues discovered during sugery. I have fibrods and as a result experienced frequent bleeding throughout the month. I had the ablation in Sept 2015 which made my cycles worst. I am very nervous and it gets worst the closer I get to the surgery. My concerns are post op pain and I am very concerned if this will affect me in a negative way sexually. Also I am so use to doing everything for my household I cant imagine being down for some time. It is nice to meet everyone and share information. I wish everyone a speedy recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2016, 11:38 AM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 14, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggee813 View Post
Hi I'm brand new here. Having a total hysterectomy tomorrow and I'm almost 45 years old. I'm terrified today. I want to cry. I've managed to stay so busy leading up and this is my second really bad day. I've saved all my cleaning and errands for today and tomorrow morning. I check in at 1. I feel lucky that I have no cyst or health issues but family history that's the reason for the surgery. My mother and sister and a great aunt all died by 43 of ovarian cancer. I know this is the best health choice for me. I'm just scared. And I hate fasting. I'm worried about weight gain and pain also.
Many women feel pre-op is the hardest part of this whole journey! It's normal to feel scared and weepy. Snuggle up to a family member or pet today and allow yourself these feelings.

If you have any pain in the hospital, speak up. The staff is there to take care of you and keep you comfortable.

Weight gain post op is a big concern for many women. It's a misconception that hysterectomy itself leads to weight gain. I am 4 years post op and have not gained any weight. I find gaining and losing weight to be just as easy/difficult as it was before my surgery.

Weight Gain Post Hysterectomy

in there Sweetie, you can do this! And we will be waiting for you on the Other Side!

Unread 02-14-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkbond View Post
Hello!

My name is Kim and I am scheduled for surgery to remove everything but my ovaries on February 18th. I have two children and I am 38. I had my thyroid removed about 8 years ago and became hypothyroid. That's when my period problems began. A few years ago the fibroids (very small at that point) appeared. Shortly after, the prolonged bleeding, clotting, cramping, and weakness started. Everytime I would go to the Dr they would tell me it's my hormones because of the thyroid medicine levels but it wasnt. Then 3 months ago I went to the gyn and they discovered the fibroids grew in size and I have polyps as well. So here I am with the hysterectomy. You are right. The worst part has been the wait and preparing my home for post op but I am so sooooo ready! The thing that worries me the most is the fear my hormones will somehow be affected, I will start acting crazy, and that I will lose sex drive since this has already made my sex life non existent because of the bleeding. I know this has got to happen. Thank you for listening. This site has been the only source or support, other than my wonderful mother, that I have.

Happy Sunday and huggs!
If you keep your ovaries, your hormones should not be affected in the long term. Often our ovaries go into shock immediately post op and don't work well at first. I was very hormonal for the first 6 weeks and then I felt my ovaries kick in and my emotions leveled out. I am 4 years post op and my ovaries are working great. I still PMS and cycle/ovulate as I did pre-op; I just don't have the bleeding. You may even notice a surge in libido post op.

Libido Surge Post Hysterectomy

Ovary Function Post Hysterectomy

Wishing you the best for a safe surgery and uneventful recovery!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desilu View Post
My fear exists in three other areas: first, being sent home the same day....I really, really would be much more calm if I knew I could stay just one night...the thought of going home the day of is 100% unappealing to me. Second, recovery concerns me...not for potential issues but the idea I will not be released from work by the doc for more than 2 weeks. I teach so going back part-time is not an option and we teachers are on our feet, bending, squatting, & moving around from the moment we arrive to the moment we leave. Finally, and probably my biggest fear is that I am concerned about the pathology report. A few docs have strongly suspected adenomyosis and I am fully aware that adeno can only be 100% confirmed through pathology and the US, CTs, & MRIs can only "indicate" and not verify adeno. I know this is the right move for me and but I also know I am one who really needs that pathology report to confirm it.

I know recovery will take time but I am so excited at the thought to have my life back. I will finally be able to make plans with friends & family for fun things like vacations and NOT have to plan them around my period anymore. I am also looking forward to welcoming back a healthy sex life that has been almost non-existent for the past year and a half unless I am willing to suffer the pain afterwards.
The thought of being sent home the same day as major surgery can be scary. If you don't feel well enough to be sent home that day, please communicate strongly to your nurse and your surgeon. They can keep you overnight if they feel necessary. I was told I would spend one night in hospital after my TVH; I had concerns about being sent home so my surgeon kept me for a second night.

I also had adenomyosis, the good news with this issue that that hysterectomy is a cure for adeno. So whether your pathology report indicates yes or no for adeno; you can have peace knowing that it can't cause you any further issues.

Adenomyosis

While some women are able to return to work at two weeks, many women need longer. Please let your doctor know if you don't feel ready to return to teaching at that point. I was told 6 weeks off work for my desk job, but in the end I wasn't cleared to return to work until 8 weeks.

I am wishing you the best with your surgery! Enjoy your freedom from pain and bleeding!

Unread 02-14-2016, 01:25 PM

Hi my name is Holly, this Friday is my surgery. I wanted to introduce myself and then go back and read in detail every post.

I'm having a robotic, total hysterectomy with the surgeon searching for numerous implants of endometriosis.

I wish I could be doing all the things in the pre-op suggestion list, but I live with severe, debilitating chronic pain. I have spinal issues, extreme fibromyalgia, a lifetime of migraines and I'm currently pretty much bedridden.

The pelvic pain being caused in the past few months, I had to cancel my Christmas flight/plans at the last minute because after an internal gynecological exam I couldn't really walk, so the ongoing pain in my abdominal and pelvic area as well as my low back and my right sciatica right now are unbearable. I know that's a possibility that my problems which are leading me to this surgery are also contributing to the overall picture.

My concerns are 1. Having the surgery and the position I'm put in on the table for a minimum hour and a half surgery, they are going to dramatically magnify my chronic pain as has been the history so far. I have a pain doctor and Neurologist a gynecologist an internist and a Rheumatologist, as my doctors which keeps me busy. Having my body position as its going to have to be really concerns me and scares me almost more than the surgery itself. 2. I'm finding myself weirdly emotional over giving up my womb, we are childless not by choice & even tho I'm 53 now, its still a sore, sore spot. We were unable to even adopt, after I was hit a second time in a car accident & my pain skyrocketed. Its devastating and I'm thinking I'm putting together a little ceremony just say goodbye to my world with myself or my husband, tonight or tomorrow night. 3. My greatest concern is that the hospital not manage my pain adequately, we had to fight and struggle for 2 weeks prior to the Pre Anasthesia appointment on Thursday, to get everybody on the same page and talking to where I'm comfortable enough to go ahead.

My surgeon offered to move the surgery from where I live to 60 miles away the next nearest big Hospital. That really freaked me out, so we're going to stay on course, here in town and on date this Friday.

I wonder has anybody else has these weird emotions about having them cut up your womb, pull it from your body and through your organs away?

Does anybody else suffer from chronic pain so debilitating you can't do any of the reasonable, 'get your home ready,' suggestions like I can't? I already reliant on my husband for everything, and I'm afraid this is going to crush you giving even more.

Thanks everyone.
Holly
Unread 02-14-2016, 01:40 PM

Good afternoon, Ladies! My name is Sarrie and I, along with Garen07 who checked in earlier, will be your Sunshine Sisters in the recovery forum starting tomorrow. We are here to help navigate you through your recovery over the coming weeks and look forward to getting to know you all. I know these days leading up to surgery can be very nerve-racking but remember, you are having your hysterectomy to improve your overall health and well-being. This site will be a wonderful resource for you and there is a whole community of women here to support you. I wish you all the best and hope to see you on the recovery forum. You are all strong, brave women - you can do this!
Unread 02-14-2016, 02:54 PM

hello! I am Holly, I am 46, have 3 kids and have recently "retired" from teaching after 24 years. I'm so excited to find this place. I have already read through lots of posts and have many of the same concerns. I am having an abdominal hysterectomy, keeping my ovaries. Surgery scheduled for February 16th. I am nervous about several things: the IV, waking up for anesthesia is hard for me, and I usually get sick from it. Also, I started my period Saturday and I am really hoping this doesn't keep me from having surgery. I can't wait to get this behind me. I appreciate all the well wishes and advice and look forward to learning from all of you!
Unread 02-14-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird4468 View Post
Hello everyone, I'm
Having an abdominal hysterectomy February 16th. I've had problems with cysts rupturing since I was17. Painful cramping and periods. I've been on BCP to try and control. I have fibroids also. I had a c section 3 years ago. I'm 47 and period are now every two weeks lasting over a week very heavy and painful. Migraines with each one and sex is painful. Uterus is bulky. I'm nervous afraid the doctor will find something else and the pain afterward. I keep trying to think about how much better I'll feel everyone I know that has had one said it was the best thing they ever did. I'll recover from this. If I don't get it done I'll continue to feel exhausted all the time, bleeding every two weeks and not enjoy sex like I used to. Thank you hyster sisters for your website. Prayers to all having surgery this week and Thank God for Morphine!
We are so glad you joined us today. Your fears are normal dear. Take a deep breath . . . you can do this. While you are in recovery your medical team will do everything to keep your pain controlled. When you wake up, they will ask you on a scale of 1-10 what your pain level is . . . it will be important to let them know. Everyone has different pain tolerances and not all react the same way to the meds . . . don't be afraid to let them know. Your doctor will also prescribe pain meds for when you go home. My URO/GYN also prescribes ibuprofen half way between the "big guns". Be sure to talk with you doctor before you are discharged and let him/her know your concerns.

Best wishes on your surgery . . . we will see you on the other side.
Unread 02-14-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpillion View Post
Hello! My name is Lori, I'm 39, and I'm scheduled for surgery Wednesday the 17th. I have a husband, a daughter (12), and a son (11). I'm a preschool teacher and have a precious class of 18-4yr olds! My husband is a high school basketball coach and this surgery couldn't have come at the worst time. He is about to start playoffs and be gone ALOT!

I've been having, what I thought, were several small issues, but turns out they are the result of one large issue...a mass in my ovary the size of a softball. . . . Went to my primary in June of 2015 to ask about the urinating and she presses on an area of my stomach and I told her I felt like there was a ball in there or something. It was low, so she thought it was scar tissue from my csection I had, told me to do kagels, and said to come back if things weren't better in 6 weeks. Things didn't get better, but I didn't go back. . . . Called my gyno last Monday, got in, sonogram showed a mass the size of a softball, and he said I needed to have a hysterectomy ASAP, leaving the one healthy ovary. I was so shocked, and when he mentioned the possibility of malignancy, I began to weep! . . . I left a heaping puddle of tears, walked out, and after talking to my mom, husband and a few good friends, decided to get a second opinion from another gyno, who happens to be a family friend. He got me in the next day and gave me the same news, but was WAY more informative and answered any and every question I had. He's doing my 'robotic' surgery and I feel so good about it! . . . I started feeling like it has given me the two most precious gift I've ever received! Now this is going to sound REALLY stupid, but I was feeling like im losing something huge about myself, and was wishing there was someway I could thank 'it' for the gift. I told this to my husband, and he died laughing, and then I does laughing because it sounded so corny, but looked it up and turns out this can be normal. So I'm not losing my mind!! It's just such a finality and like I'm closing a book and starting a whole new book! I know I'll be so grateful after healing, and will probably laugh about my 'grieving' later on, but seriously, how amazing is womanhood?? Even with all the ups and downs!

Lastly, I'm scared about the pain. I can't take anti imflamatories due to stomach ulcers, so that throws a kink into pain management. If anyone has had robotic/vaginal incision, and have any advice, please give me pointers.
So glad I found this site. It has given me so much info and has calmed a lot of my fears! I'm just praying for a benign report for now.
Blessings!
We are so glad to have you join us. I am so sorry for the response you had from your first doctor . . . so thankful that your new GYN has a good bedside manner and that you were able to have the surgery right away. You are not crazy dear and you are definitely not alone. Many of your sisters here have gone through this grieving process . . . it is very normal to grieve the finality that a hysterectomy brings.

Emotional Health and Grief

I understand your concern about pain control and not being able to take ibuprofen or any NSAID meds. I can't either due to chronic bleeding. What has your GP approved for you to take for pain? I use Tramadol and I took that half way between the narcotic meds. Be sure to discuss this with your doctor before you check out from the hospital.

on your surgery dear. Praying with you for a good path report. We will see you on the other side.
Unread 02-14-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English6469 View Post
Hi guys. I'm Stacey. Married, two kids, 51, and not menopausal. I'm having an "abdominal hysterectomy" (keeping ovaries) on Feb 16th.

I have multiple fibroids (one is the size of a softball). My uterus is enlarged, doc said the size of a 16 week pregnancy. Lots of discomfort, lower back pain, frequent urination, bloating, aching tummy. (No bleeding thanks to the thermal ablasion I had years ago)

God I am so nervous!!!! Afraid of many things. Will he will find something else, the pain afterwards, will my ovaries will go into shock, the recovery time, how jacked up my hormones will get, how it will effect my sex life....and weight gain!! Ugh, so many unknowns!

I've spring cleaned my home, caught up laundry, paid the bills, packed a bag..and today will make some freezer meals. Oh, and came THIS close to backing out. (no really!) My pre-admission nurse helped calm my fears enough that I am still on the surgery schedule, lol.

Good luck to everyone having their surgery this week!! It's definitely comforting knowing I'm not alone.

And like someone else said..thank God for morphine!
We are so glad that you found us. Sending you dear . . . your nervousness is normal. The goal of your medical team will be to keep you out of pain after surgery . . . be sure to let them know the level of your pain. Your ovaries may go into shock for a bit . . . it will be important to keep track of your symptoms and keep your GYN informed so s/he can help you through this process. You are not alone with your fears about how your sex life may be impacted. Try not to let it psyche you out . . . be sure to follow your post op restrictions so that you can heal properly. Remember that we are here for you . . . we will be by your side to answer your questions along the way.

Best wishes on your surgery my dear . . . we will be waiting for you on the other side.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register