Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 14, 2016 - Page 4 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 14, 2016 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 14, 2016

Unread 02-14-2016, 05:21 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 14, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird1 View Post
I feel you. I check in at 5:30 am. Having a tah. No clue as to the fare of my ovaries because I'm so enlarged they can't see them. I'm terrifed. Hugs to you today. We got this!
Sending you dear . . . I know that you are scared. Remember that we are here for you and your medical team will be doing what they do best . . . taking care of you.

on your surgery . . . we will be waiting for you on the other side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2016, 05:57 PM

Ladies!

Just want to send for your surgery and a quick, uneventful recovery.

The waiting can be nerve wracking , but Ladies you can do this! Before you know it surgery will be over and you will be beginning your recovery journey.

and to you as you await your surgery day and time.
Unread 02-14-2016, 06:09 PM

Thank you for the messages today. I'm snacking lightly until I get to midnight. My surgery isn't until 3 pm tomorrow so I thought I'd try to keep somewhat full til midnight. I'm nervous but reminding myself that I don't want to take chances with ovarian cancer. Trying to look forward to two weeks in bed escaping from the office and just resting. I booked to vacations for our family for summer so I have something to think about when I get to the hospital tomorrow. Daydream about what we will do on the trips. I put my valentines flowers my husband sent in the bedroom so when I come back and get in bed I'll see them.. I have a new pair of PJs, my medicine etc laid out. I'm going to take my daughter to school then hit the grocery store to stock up and get a small cough pillow. I'm so glad I found this site. I've been talking to other women and reading her and I'm hoping for an easy procedure and fast recovery. I'm glad I'm doing this so I don't have to worry about the cancer my mother and sister had anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2016, 06:19 PM

Hello I am Brandy, 30 year old mother of 3. 12, 7, and 4. I have had horrible periods since I started at 12. I have been hospitalized due to blood loss. I would bleed about 2 months and have a few weeks off and another 2 month period. It was MISERABLE!! About 6 years ago my doctor told me my uterus was enlarged and I would eventually have to have a hysterectomy and if I wanted another baby do it...so I did and I got my tubes tied as soon as my youngest was born. So, I have been prepared for this for some time now. Since I got my tubes tied my periods have really slowed down. Now they are about 7 days and on time every month. But I still bleed very bad and now I have horrible PMS symptoms which I never had before. And I have a horrible pain like on my pelvic floor, so bad it will make me cry at times. Finally I decided to go to my doctor and try to get it fixed. He did a quick exam and told me my uterus was the size it would be if I were 15 weeks pregnant. We decided on a hysterectomy, but I had to have an ultrasound and endometrial biopsy first. After all that I went to my follow up appointment and my doctor came in and said it is worse than he thought. He said my uterus was "ginormous and full of fibroids" and an abdominal hysterectomy was required. So here we are, I am scheduled Tuesday. I am ready to feel better! I went for my pre op Wednesday and as prepared as I am, walking through the hospital and all the smells really scared me! I haven't had a good nights sleep since I got my surgery date! I keep thinking of all the things I need to do and worrying about everything out of my control! I have a wonderful support system though, my husband and kids are really prepared to do anything needed and my family are taking turns keeping the kids for the 2 nights I have to stay in the hospital, so I feel like I am pretty prepared...I have been cooking and freezing meals for a month now and I have bought night gowns and big pajamas and an adult coloring book (I've heard they will really keep your mind busy) found a few good books, deep cleaned the house and even got a lift chair from a friend. I am terrified of the paid though!! Good luck and prayers going up for all my sisters out there!!! All of your stories and advice have truly helped me!!!
Unread 02-14-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwade View Post
Hello. I'm chante I'm 33. My surgery is on the 16. I'm a huge bundle of nerves right now. I've never had surgery. I have adenomyosis. I have no clue what to do with myself. I can't sleep I'm so nervous. I've been cleaning up a storm and getting my grocery shopping out of the way. It seems no matter how busy I try to stay to keep my mind off it it doesn't work. I just can't wait for it to be over.
Sending you dear. I know that you are nervous . . . take a deep breath. You can do this. I am sorry that sleep alludes you. Try to relax the best you can and keep your mind occupied . . . go to a movie, read a mindless book, go for coffee with friends . Be sure to let your Anesthesiologist know that you are anxious and they will give you something to help calm your anxiety. I know it is hard to keep your mind off of everything . . . it will be over very soon.

Remember that we are here for you . . . we will see you on the other side.
Unread 02-14-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujaded View Post
My concerns are 1. Having the surgery and the position I'm put in on the table for a minimum hour and a half surgery, they are going to dramatically magnify my chronic pain as has been the history so far. I have a pain doctor and Neurologist a gynecologist an internist and a Rheumatologist, as my doctors which keeps me busy. Having my body position as its going to have to be really concerns me and scares me almost more than the surgery itself. 2. I'm finding myself weirdly emotional over giving up my womb, we are childless not by choice & even tho I'm 53 now, its still a sore, sore spot. We were unable to even adopt, after I was hit a second time in a car accident & my pain skyrocketed. Its devastating and I'm thinking I'm putting together a little ceremony just say goodbye to my world with myself or my husband, tonight or tomorrow night. 3. My greatest concern is that the hospital not manage my pain adequately, we had to fight and struggle for 2 weeks prior to the Pre Anasthesia appointment on Thursday, to get everybody on the same page and talking to where I'm comfortable enough to go ahead.

I wonder has anybody else has these weird emotions about having them cut up your womb, pull it from your body and through your organs away?

Does anybody else suffer from chronic pain so debilitating you can't do any of the reasonable, 'get your home ready,' suggestions like I can't? I already reliant on my husband for everything, and I'm afraid this is going to crush you giving even more.

I am very sorry you're in such chronic pain. I suffer from chronic pain as well, and I understand how difficult and isolating it can be. I am sending you

It is completely normal to have emotions tied to your uterus and feel sad about having a hysterectomy. When I was pre-op I couldn't even say the word "hysterectomy" without bursting into tears. My surgery was due to pre-cancerous cells on my cervix. So I had no issues with pain or bleeding and my uterus was always very good to me. I loved being fertile; it made me feel feminine and sexy. It's ok to grieve the loss of your uterus and it's possibilities. Here is the link to the Grief Articles List, take a peek and read what interests you.

I hope your hysterectomy helps with some of your chronic pain issues. Sending you hugs for a safe surgery and uneventful recovery!

Unread 02-14-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmencer View Post
hello! I am Holly, I am 46, have 3 kids and have recently "retired" from teaching after 24 years. I'm so excited to find this place. I have already read through lots of posts and have many of the same concerns. I am having an abdominal hysterectomy, keeping my ovaries. Surgery scheduled for February 16th. I am nervous about several things: the IV, waking up for anesthesia is hard for me, and I usually get sick from it. Also, I started my period Saturday and I am really hoping this doesn't keep me from having surgery. I can't wait to get this behind me. I appreciate all the well wishes and advice and look forward to learning from all of you!
Hi Holly,

I am a very difficult "stick" for IV's and have found if I ask for a warm towel to wrap my arm in, it really helps them find a vein and it's less painful. Make sure you discuss your concerns regarding nausea from the anesthesia with your Anesthesiologist. There are lots of meds they can give and there is no reason for you to feel sick when you wake.

Preventing Post Op Nausea

Most surgeons won't cancel the surgery due to menstruation, but you should call the office in the morning just to make sure.

Period Before Hysterectomy?

Deep breaths, you can do this! We will see you on the Other Side!

Unread 02-14-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujaded View Post
Hi my name is Holly, this Friday is my surgery. I wanted to introduce myself and then go back and read in detail every post.

I'm having a robotic, total hysterectomy with the surgeon searching for numerous implants of endometriosis.

I wish I could be doing all the things in the pre-op suggestion list, but I live with severe, debilitating chronic pain. I have spinal issues, extreme fibromyalgia, a lifetime of migraines and I'm currently pretty much bedridden. . . .

My concerns are 1. Having the surgery and the position I'm put in on the table for a minimum hour and a half surgery, they are going to dramatically magnify my chronic pain as has been the history so far. I have a pain doctor and Neurologist a gynecologist an internist and a Rheumatologist, as my doctors which keeps me busy. Having my body position as its going to have to be really concerns me and scares me almost more than the surgery itself. 2. I'm finding myself weirdly emotional over giving up my womb, we are childless not by choice & even tho I'm 53 now, its still a sore, sore spot. We were unable to even adopt, after I was hit a second time in a car accident & my pain skyrocketed. Its devastating and I'm thinking I'm putting together a little ceremony just say goodbye to my world with myself or my husband, tonight or tomorrow night. 3. My greatest concern is that the hospital not manage my pain adequately, we had to fight and struggle for 2 weeks prior to the Pre Anasthesia appointment on Thursday, to get everybody on the same page and talking to where I'm comfortable enough to go ahead.

My surgeon offered to move the surgery from where I live to 60 miles away the next nearest big Hospital. That really freaked me out, so we're going to stay on course, here in town and on date this Friday.

I wonder has anybody else has these weird emotions about having them cut up your womb, pull it from your body and through your organs away?

Does anybody else suffer from chronic pain so debilitating you can't do any of the reasonable, 'get your home ready,' suggestions like I can't? I already reliant on my husband for everything, and I'm afraid this is going to crush you giving even more. Thanks everyone.

Holly
O my dear . . . you have been through so much to bring you to this point. Sending you .

I totally understand your fears about the position during surgery. I had double knee replacement and I started to ask the question . . . my URO/GYN assured me that she would protect my knees. I am glad that your medical team is communicating with each other. Have you voiced this concern with your surgeon? S/he will stop to see you before surgery. Don't hesitate to address this again . . . this is your body and I know that your pain is real.

You are not alone in the grieving process . . . those emotions are very real. What you are feeling is not weird. Have you been able to talk with your DH and let him help you through this grieving process?

The goal of your medical team will be to keep your pain under control. When you wake up after surgery, they will ask you about your pain level on a scare of 1-10. Be sure to discuss this with your doctor prior to your surgery.

Best wishes on your surgery dear . . . we will be waiting for you on the other side.

Unread 02-14-2016, 10:59 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread Feb 14-Feb 20,2016

Our time today has come to an end - our Pre-Op Open House Chat Thread is now closed. Thank you to all our members who attended as we support one another - women helping women.

The staff of HysterSisters is sending you hugs for the best outcome for your hysterectomy.

As you wait for your scheduled surgery, if you have more questions, please start a new thread discussion here in Pre-op hysterectomy forum area.

Then, after your surgery, there will be a specially created thread for our members who have surgery this week. Look for it in the Post-op Hysterectomy Recovery forum - specifically the Hysterectomy Recover Reports forum with dates matching your surgery date. You will find your surgery sisters there.

Closed Thread

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register