Panic Disorder and Hyst | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Panic Disorder and Hyst Panic Disorder and Hyst

Unread 07-25-2002, 07:00 PM
Panic Disorder and Hyst

I have had Panic Disorder for 15 years now, and I really have a hard time with surgies because of this. I mean once the give me the drug that knocks me out then obviously I am ok. LOL, but its the dredded car ride to the hospotal, the waiting in the pre op room getting the IV started and all that waiting. I am haviing my hyst on 8/8, and I am so afraid of having a panic attack before I "go under". When I had my Lap the dr let me take my xanax before I got to the hospital, so that helped a little, but for this I think I will need 3! haha.. Wondered if anyone else has this disorder and how they make it though????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2002, 07:12 PM
Panic Disorder and Hyst

Be sure to talk to the A person at your pre-Op meeting about your panic disorder. They will be able to help you out and will be able to discuss what they can do to help you. Ask him about verced that twilight drug. I got that once I got into the Pre Op room and believe me it's a wonderful drug. Once that go into my veins, I could have cared less what happened. And I run on the high end of nervousness.

I was a nervous wreck the night before my surgery and on the car ride there, but once I got checked in and into the "pre" pre-op room, I really calmed down.

You'll do great, but be sure to discuss your panic disorder at your Pre-Op appt.
Unread 07-25-2002, 08:58 PM
Panic Disorder and Hyst

Hi,

I have panic attacks, too. I made my doctor promise not to let them tie my arms down. I spoke to him about what happens to me, and he worked with me the whole time. I lay on the table in tears, but I got through it. You just get through it. If you have to cry, go ahead and cry. I was very lucky that my doctor was so understanding. He held my hand while they prepped me and until I went out.

You'll be ok. If you need an ear...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2002, 10:13 PM
Panic Disorder and Hyst

I have suffered from a panic disorder for over 10 years. I have never had major surgery, so I was really worried about how I would deal with it all. I found out that I would have to be awake when they put the epidural in my back (they used that for pain after surgery) and I freaked out!! I talked to my Dr and explained the situation. She arranged for the A man to give me some Verced in the holding area, and I sure didn't feel any pain or panic after that! I honestly didn't know how I would get through the waiting and prep for surgery, but it really wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Hang in there!! If you need to talk let me know!! ((Hugs))
Unread 07-27-2002, 02:05 PM
Re: Panic Disorder and Hyst

Quote:
Originally posted by dlwdolly
I have had Panic Disorder for 15 years now, and I really have a hard time with surgies because of this. I mean once the give me the drug that knocks me out then obviously I am ok. LOL, but its the dredded car ride to the hospotal, the waiting in the pre op room getting the IV started and all that waiting. I am haviing my hyst on 8/8, and I am so afraid of having a panic attack before I "go under". When I had my Lap the dr let me take my xanax before I got to the hospital, so that helped a little, but for this I think I will need 3! haha.. Wondered if anyone else has this disorder and how they make it though????
Unread 07-27-2002, 05:28 PM
Panic

Hi Dear. I have experienced panic attacks, as have both of my young daughters. Sometimes it is familial. Sometimes they can be caused by HORMONE INBALANCES!!!! Honestly! Pick up the book "The Hormone Solution" by Dr. Erika Schwartz and she explains it all! Bioidentical hormones are the only way to go with the new results in on the synthetic ones! But you need a compounding pharmacist to fill them and an intelligent, progressive doctor to write for them. My daughter used to get panic attacks just before her period - now she is on transdermal progesterone and does not get them any more! She had a hormone imbalance.

Also write down what exactly it is you are afraid of and talk to your doctor about it in detail. Also remember 85% of the things we worry about never do manifest!

so ............love like you've never been hurt,
work like you don't need the money,
& dance like nobody is watching!!!! Luv, Lulu
Unread 07-28-2002, 08:13 PM
Panic Disorder and Hyst

I also have severe panic disorder. I have had it now for 8 years and nothing is very easy,but surgery is the worst for me! Since I have had it I have had 2 knee surgeries, and it dosen't get easier. I am also worried about my fear,it does seem to get worse with anticipation of the event,usually the unknown. I also can relate about the drive there, if they could knock me out before I get in the car, I would be alright. I still don't know when my surgery will be, but my dr wants to get it over with asap due to my problem. Good luck...laurster
Unread 07-29-2002, 12:07 AM
A little info about anti-anxiety meds

Versed, the sedative they commonly give in pre-op to calm you down, is in the same chemical class as Xanax, Ativan, Valium, etc. (Anti-anxiety medications.) Talk to the anesthesiologist well ahead of your surgery day and ask if it's OK to take your anti-anxiety med. If he/she says yes, then be sure to remind the anesthesiologist on surgery day: name of medication, number of milligrams, what time you took it. The pre-op sedative and your regular anti-anxiety medication have additive effects, so it's very, very, very important to let the docs know what you have in your system. (More is not always better, especially when it comes to medications.)

I am not a physician and this info is only intended to encourage liw with panic disorder to have a conversation with the anesthesiologist about this subject. My mom suffered with panic attacks for years and I just hate to think of anyone suffering needlessly from this terrible condition. I hope this helps.

Wishing you all the best,
Jane
Unread 07-30-2002, 11:29 AM
Panic Disorder and Hyst

Hi! Just wanted you to know that you can do this!!!!! I have had anxiety attacks and understand completely. I talked to the preop nurse in charge and she understood my concerns and told me it would be okay to take an Ativan on the morning of the surgery. That's how I made it to the hospital traveling over an hour away! I did not drive, I had someone drive for me. After I was at the hospital for quite a while, and almost ready to go in, got frightened. They gave me something to calm me down. It definitely helped!!!!! And I don't like taking anything. (My experience, the staff were totally willing to help with my anxiety in anyway they could.) If you need something for anxiety just speak up and talk to them. You'll do fine!!!!!!!!
Sending s and Best Wishes for surgery,
Sandy
LAVH for severe prolapse, kept ovaries

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register