will it be a gray day? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

will it be a gray day? will it be a gray day?

Unread 07-29-2002, 04:32 AM
will it be a gray day?

here's one for you post-op gals...my mom did not have a single gray hair on that lovely head til' she hit menopause. my hair at 47, is the same as when i was 7 (as far as grayless goes.) wondering if surgical menopause, which i will undergo , can cause instant gray...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2002, 08:12 AM
will it be a gray day?

Hmm, I have so much white in my hair at age 51 that I can't answer that question. But I can definitely tell you that my hairdresser is a pro at highlighting. My 27yo son, whom I visited in California last week, asked me when I would go totally white. I said when I stop coloring it. Duh!!!!! I really don't think surgical menopause has anything to do with it. My mom had a hyst at 47 and I have more snow than she does--and she's 76!! Dad's side of the family turned white, not gray, at an early age. So if you are the same now as age 7, then lucky you and enjoy it.

TC
Unread 07-29-2002, 08:44 AM
Hi Lisa

TC is right if you are the same as age 7 Sweetie enjoy. I started turning gray at 18. I am 52 now and like TC my DS ask me the same question I told him when I let this color leave my hair. It was funny I was going to just go gray once about 5 years ago and my DS said wait until I am away at college. I am about 80% gray but I put color on my roots each 3 weeks. But I would think you will do whatever your family (mostly father side for girls) will do. My Dad was white in his mid twenties. So let that be the least of your worries. Like TC said hairdressers work wonders when you need them. God bless.

:hair:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2002, 09:14 AM
ggray day?..........

Hi Lisa,

I'm in total agreement with the other ladies !! I've heard of the hair thinning, but not changing color due to menopause. But then, I've been 50% grey since about age 32 ( I'm 45 now... and it seems there is no stopping the greying process; except with color of course )

So enjoy that *natural* color while it lasts !!!!!!!!
Unread 07-30-2002, 05:46 AM

thanks everybody!!!! whew, one less thing to worry about.
Unread 07-30-2002, 06:15 AM
will it be a grey day

just another perspective--my hair starting greying when I was about 27. I colored it until I was 42 (I am now 58). At 42, I decided that I looked like a 42 year old woman with dyed hair and wondered what I *really* looked. So I took the plunge. It turned out that I had beautiful silver hair! And at 42, with silver hair, looking back I have to say that I probably spent the most beautiful years of my life during that decade. I had a very youthful face and the short thick silver hair was great. In fact, I looked much younger with my natural hair color than I had by coloring my hair. At this point, with gravity my worst enemy, the contrast isn't as striking but I have to say that I wouldn't change my hair for anything in the world. And it costs nothing in time or money to maintain other than a haircut! ps. I, too, had much greyer hair than my mother when she was 91, which gave us both a kick! and my dh has always loved it! anyway, just a thought... .
Unread 07-30-2002, 06:53 AM
FOr New Yorker

If you don't mind my asking, where in NY are you located and do you like your doctor? I'm also in NY (Westchester County) and am looking for a new doctor.
Please email me at tgala@att.net
Thanks.
JoAnn

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register