Ovaries or Not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries or Not? Ovaries or Not?

Unread 11-24-2003, 01:48 AM
Ovaries or Not?

Scheduled for TAH BSO on Wednesday 11/26. Took BCPs for regulation of frequent (21 day) painful cycles, and discontinued 2/03. No period x 4 months, suspected BCP withdrawl created temporary irregularity of cycle. Didn't suspect that 4 mos. later night heat (no sweats--kept spray bottle next to bed) was not a thyroid problem, but the 'beginning'. FSH tested super high. Plot thickens (and did it), June, menses back, writhing pain; hospitalized for 2 days pain control, torsion fibroid. Provera was yucky, tried for 3 mos. with breakthru bleeding. Since then have had 'periods' lasting 5-7 days at various irregular intervals ..almost once a month, sometimes more. MD recommends TAH, given FSH history (suggesting 'ovarian failure'), so..why am I still having periods? If no estrogen, how can this be happening? I had PMS symptoms yesterday (breast tenderness, etc..). If estrogen isn't making this happen what is? I am now confused, to keep ovary or not, understand surgical menopause can be pretty BRUTAL! M.D. does not feel I will need HRT. I am 46 and dunno'. Any thoughts on this? I am truly torn by this decision. Boy, am I nervous!! Adenomyosis,fibroids and who knows what else.... I am tempted to bring my own bottle of GNC Hot Flash if I am endometriosis-free. Any help appreciated, as I am OBVIOUSLY not sleeping well these days... Thanks Sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2003, 05:34 AM
Ovaries or Not?

Quote:
understand surgical menopause can be pretty BRUTAL! M.D. does not feel I will need HRT
I had a TAH/BSO 22 months ago. I am on ERT (why does your DR think you won't need it, or is it because of possible adeno or endo?)

If you're not comfortable with your DR's recommendations you should get a second or third opinion. Even though this would mean your surgery would have to be postponed.
Unread 11-24-2003, 06:01 AM
Ovaries or Not?

Hi,
I am gong in on the 26th also and have been online all weekend and just found this site. I have no problems but yet I find myself going for the surgery .....so I am very confused...I have been in the gym 5 days a week for a year and feel great yet I am facing this....I want to wish you the best and lets keep in touch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2003, 06:45 AM
Ovaries or Not?

Hi,

I had a tah/bso 16 months ago. I had no choice about my ovaries but, I would have kept at least one if I had.
I'm 55 years old and on hrt. I had been through menopause already before my hyst and my dr started me on hrt the day after my hyst. I still had some pretty bad surgical menopause after my surgery. I had to increase my hrt and everything got better for me. I'm still taking it now and doing pretty well. My dr told me that even after menopause, the ovaries keep producing hormones at a decreased level.

I think that maybe a second or even opinion might be a good idea too. This is a major decision and you should research all your options.

If you do have surgery, please DO NOT take anything to the hospital without getting it cleared with your dr first! Even "natural" products can cause serious side effects.

Best wishes.

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register