Got date but have ???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got date but have ???? Got date but have ????

Unread 10-11-2003, 08:52 AM
Got date but have ????

I went to doc on 10/10/03. have TAH scheduled for 11/03/03. Doc told me to plan on four weeks off work. I have not told boss yet all details. I am wondering if four weeks is really enough time off. I have a sit down job as a dispatcher at a sheriffs department, but at times this can be a very stressful job. Should this be a factor in how soon to go back. Wanting advise before a tell boss when to expect me back. I have enough sick time and holidays to do at least five weeks with pay. Also at times I am the only one working so if feeling tired or bad no one to cover for me so I could go home early. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I am seeing on post here that every is told around six weeks average. Also last year was going to have possibly vaginal hyst. doc told me then f our week. I would think you would need longer for TAH. didnt have it done last year, got to hospital and paniced. checked out and went home. doc is giving me xanax before hand this time around, so hopefully no panicky feelings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2003, 09:01 AM
Got date but have ????

catty,

I just had a LAVH on 10-7-03. My dr thought that I may have to have a TAH. But he went the other way. He told me that I was to expect to be off for a MINIMUM of 8 weeks with a TVH with the possability of 12-18 weeks. Since I had a LAVH he told me to expect at least 6 if not 12. I'm a teacher so my situation may be different because of your job.

I hope this is a help.

My wishes for a speedy recovery for you.

Marcy
Unread 10-11-2003, 09:07 AM
Got date but have ????

Hi Catty

Is 4 weeks enough. Well, we all heal differently.

It seems to me, from experience I have with patients and abd. surgeries 4 weeks is pushing it. Most need 6 to really begin functioning again.

And yes, you do have a stressful job. But the most important thing will be if you can tolerate sitting for 8 hours in one place?
You should know by 3 weeks how well you are doing with the sitting. If you have the sick leave for 5 weeks how about if you took the full five weeks and then the next 2 weeks you go back half time, by 6-7 weeks you should be doing really well.

It will take a year for you to completely heal. You will be making a mistake if you try to try to doo toooo much toooooo soooon.

It can delay healing to rush it too much, but on the other hand you also don't want to be a slug-a-bed!

So it really is individual....you will start out with baby steps, getting to the bathroom and back will seem like a major accomplishment. Then you will discover that you can run a dust cloth over the table...then you will find that washing the dishes isn't too bad so you will try to vacuume.....Oops just getting the vacuume out was too much? Wel l, leave it there, and wait a few more days before you think about it.....

Most ladies post that their docs said no vacuuming, sex and anything else involving those muscles for 6 weeks.

Be sure you check out the ARTICLES page- there are wonderful ideas and hints there!

's

Dilu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2003, 09:07 AM
Got date but have ????

Catty,

I just went back last night for the first time after having SAH/BSO. I only worked half a shift (we work 12 hour shifts plus 1/2 hour roll call) so I was there from 630 til 1am. On light duty, we work the control booth...handling phones, radio and doors within the jail. Of course, there were 3 or 4 separate incidents that went on just in the time I was there (full moon, I guess). When I got home, I was exhausted and my tummy was aching. It wasn't anything horrible, but I could feel that I'd been up and down and doing more than I have in the past 5 1/2 weeks.

If you will have no one else to rely on to cover, I'd take that full 6 weeks at least. You're going to feel the stress more for a while post op. It will tire you out quickly. On the plus side, it actually feels good to go back...and I never thought I'd say that

s
Cat
Unread 10-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Got date but have ????

you should be prepared to be off around 6 weeks, I would at least`plan on taking the five weeks you have saved up. I also have a sit down job, and my doc told me that after 2-3 weeks I could try to work 1-2 hours a day, preferably in the am. I hope this helps, you really will not want the stress that comes along with your kind of job, and the fact that there will be no one to releive you only makes it worse.

hope you have a speedy recovery, my surgery date is 11-10-03. so you can let me know how it was.

lol
Unread 10-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Got date but have ????

I had my TAH/BSO just about 3 weeks ago, I would in no way be ready to go back to work in another week and I have had an easy recovery with no complications. My advise, talk to your doc again, you will want and probably need the 6 weeks.

Cat is right, you will be surprised at how tired and sore you get just from sitting for too long, without the added stress of your type of job. If you have the time coming, take it and give your body the chance to heal.

s

Donna
Unread 10-11-2003, 10:06 AM
sick time

Catty,
From a management prospective, you can tell your boss the initial
4 weeks, and certify it with a dr. note. If after that time you still are not feeling better and get another note from doctor to cover your time off. This way, your boss can plan for your time off too.

Good luck.

Beate

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register