4 weeks post op help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks post op help! 4 weeks post op help!

Unread 07-01-2006, 08:19 PM
4 weeks post op help!

HI ladies,
Im kinda new here, and Im really thankful that I have found these great articles on this board. I knew you guys were here long before I ever had my op, but I found the more I read on the Hysterectomy subject the more scarred I was about having it done, so didn't over indulge in more than I could handle Pre Op. It was a hard decision to go ahead with the op.. But many years of painful ovulation and periods and migraines I finaly decided to go ahead.
Anyway I had my abdominal Hysterectomy 4 weeks ago, 1st June and apart from sickness from the drugs, I have rarely had any pain. I had 4 nights of night sweats after the op, they let me out of hospital on the 4th day, I was climbing the walls to get out of there. I had to refuse the pain killers as they were making my upper tummy burn and they wanted to give me more. But I hid them and my burning tummy healed, when I stopped taking them. I told the nurses I stopped taking them and they realised it was the tablets giving me troubles then....they also gave me real bad pricky heat burnign feelings on my skin....Anyway I can only handle Panadol if I need to have anything and actually I have not needed that either. However the troubles are my emotional side, the first week out of hosptial I cryed one day then was ok the next and then cryed the following day and ok the next. I so felt like there was nothing to live for and no future,( I don't have kids) anyway here I am at 4 weeks and I have had a couple of great days last week and feel like living again, and then some not so good days and feel like dying. The problem is the headaches over my right eye that I had before my periods and at the end of my periods, that headache has been bothering me more frequently now and when I get that I instantly become depressed and tired......I had uterine fibroids and a cyst on my ovary. I still have one ovary....Im just so scared that the one ovary is not working, I never wanted to go on HRT etc I had years of trying the pill, IUD with bad effects so am so nervous of taking hormones now...Im also having trouble sleeping and bad dreams and get hot trying to sleep.....Im going to see the Surgeon this Tuesday for a check up and blood test for hormone levels most likely. Im just a bit of an emotional wreck at times with these headaches. I had the op to get rid of these headaches mostly, but I often feel now I wished I had never had the surgery.....Has this happend to anyone else or am I all alone in my misery??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2006, 08:30 PM
4 weeks post op help!

Oh no you are not alone. I am sorry you feel like you do. It sounds like hormones to me,but that can be fixed. And in time you will be healed and past this part. Just think how good your recovery has been so far,you had major surgery so expect some ups and downs. I had hormone problems too and now that they are balanced my headaches are gone and I do feel better. I do have cuff issues that my new dr is going to fix,I have to have cuff repair surgery 7/5. I too alot if not most of the time wish that I never had this surgery,but on a few of my pain free days I feel the good side of this surgery. Dr did not sew my cuff right so it feels like I have a barbed wire ball between my legs. Please just hang in there,in time it will get better! keep in touch
Unread 07-01-2006, 08:35 PM
4 weeks post op help!

Karensky,
First you are not alone. The one thing I have learned on this site is that there is at least one other person going through exactly the same thing as you are. It is so comforting. I am 3 weeks post-op. I have experienced the night sweats, nightmares, headaches, and emotional outbursts (like I just watched a Hallmark commercial and had to cry). Unfortunately, my Dr. had to take both of my overies due to disease. So, my body is adjusting to that. I haven't had such intense mood swings. I'm concerned because it sounds like you are bottoming out when you say you feel like dying. Please mention this to your Dr. I am no expert, but I did suffer from depression after a prior surgery. My dr. was able to help me with that. Please take care and know that others will reply with encouragement for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2006, 08:44 PM
4 weeks post op help!

HI,
Thanks for your reply:-) Oh Im so sorry things are not right for you either. I wonder are we the small percentage of women that are worse than befor the surgery?? All my friend said it was the best thing they ever done before I had my surgery.
I find the more I read the more I worry too, Im worrying about adhesians now as I have felt ok on the rare occasion, physically and done some thing. Sorry, im not sure what a cuff is, Is that the top of the vagina??
I have a wonderful husband, but the thought of Sex is way out in space for me at this time, Im going to be scared to be trying that again.
I hate being a women, its been such misery since 16 years of age for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn2139
Oh no you are not alone. I am sorry you feel like you do. It sounds like hormones to me,but that can be fixed. And in time you will be healed and past this part. Just think how good your recovery has been so far,you had major surgery so expect some ups and downs. I had hormone problems too and now that they are balanced my headaches are gone and I do feel better. I do have cuff issues that my new dr is going to fix,I have to have cuff repair surgery 7/5. I too alot if not most of the time wish that I never had this surgery,but on a few of my pain free days I feel the good side of this surgery. Dr did not sew my cuff right so it feels like I have a barbed wire ball between my legs. Please just hang in there,in time it will get better! keep in touch
Unread 07-01-2006, 08:55 PM
4 weeks post op help!

Thanks Lisa,
I was even scared to get on here and read anything as I thought Im the only one feeling this way and then Id feel worse. But I have had a cry today and writing on here will probably help. I used to get depressed after my period also, so I guess that has continued on since the surgery and its ether a surge of Estrogen with the lonestar ovary trying to work or nothing working at all...I just want to know what so it can be sorted out...not kowing is playing havoc with my also. My doctor does not have the best bed side manner and it not easy to talk to. I could not have the op with my female DR as she is a private Doctor and this Doc is a public Doc so its covered by medicare.
Were you put on HRT just after your Op?? I have had nothing..so wandering in no where land as far as my hormones are concerend...(apart from self medicated natural treatments)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chg4evr
Karensky,
First you are not alone. The one thing I have learned on this site is that there is at least one other person going through exactly the same thing as you are. It is so comforting. I am 3 weeks post-op. I have experienced the night sweats, nightmares, headaches, and emotional outbursts (like I just watched a Hallmark commercial and had to cry). Unfortunately, my Dr. had to take both of my overies due to disease. So, my body is adjusting to that. I haven't had such intense mood swings. I'm concerned because it sounds like you are bottoming out when you say you feel like dying. Please mention this to your Dr. I am no expert, but I did suffer from depression after a prior surgery. My dr. was able to help me with that. Please take care and know that others will reply with encouragement for you.
Unread 07-01-2006, 09:06 PM
4 weeks post op help!

If I did not have my hormones i think I would just crawl off somewhere and die! I am on bio identical estradiol 1mg 1x a day and compounded 100 mg progesterone 1x a day,this part of me is better than ever. I think we are just a small portion of women with problems. But if yours is just a hormonal issue,that is easy to fix,takes time but fixable.
Unread 07-01-2006, 09:06 PM
4 weeks post op help!

Karensky,
I have not started my HRT yet. My Dr. wants me to wait until the risk of getting blood clots has passed. I have a previous history of blood clots. So, on July 10th I start a very low dose .3mg of Premerin. Dr said it is so low it won't even absorb into my liver. He said it will be good for my bones, nightsweats, flashes, and it will keep my sexy. I laughed in his face for the last comment. Sexy is not what I'm feeling.
Unread 07-01-2006, 09:21 PM
4 weeks post op help!

Thanks again:-) I hope that Premarin will be good for you, a lady in the Hosptial said she was on that and is helps her. But my friend tryed that and she had the worst migraine ever...Ill see what my Dr says for that with me. (I love horses and its made out of horse urine so that wont worry me..LOL). I did ask him to give me a prescription for a patch when I left hosptial and he has given me that for Climara 50, but wants to wait till I have my blood checked Tuesday.
Oh Im glad you said about the feeling sexy as no way am I feeling that way either. I feel "get that thing away from me"...LOL...Im rather aggressive about that ATM..te hee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chg4evr
Karensky,
I have not started my HRT yet. My Dr. wants me to wait until the risk of getting blood clots has passed. I have a previous history of blood clots. So, on July 10th I start a very low dose .3mg of Premerin. Dr said it is so low it won't even absorb into my liver. He said it will be good for my bones, nightsweats, flashes, and it will keep my sexy. I laughed in his face for the last comment. Sexy is not what I'm feeling.
Unread 07-01-2006, 09:26 PM
4 weeks post op help!

Thanks again:-) Yes, that is Exactly what I have felt....Under a tree in the Outback of Austraia somewhere.
So that is natural the bio idnetical?? There are so many things out there it seems. Getting it right is the key. I know about Progesterone, been on that one to stop bleeding to death when I was in Canada. Anyway there is some light at the end of the tunnel, bigger some days than others:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn2139
If I did not have my hormones i think I would just crawl off somewhere and die! I am on bio identical estradiol 1mg 1x a day and compounded 100 mg progesterone 1x a day,this part of me is better than ever. I think we are just a small portion of women with problems. But if yours is just a hormonal issue,that is easy to fix,takes time but fixable.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register