New Here | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Can anyone help me?

This is the first post I have made. I have been doing lots of reading here and it has been very helpful. I had total abdominal hysterectomy with ovaries and tubes removed as well. My bowels didn't wake up and caused me to have to be readmitted. Did anyone else have this problem? It still causes me a great deal of cramping pain to even pass gas. Using stool softeners and milk of magnesia. How long will this go on? I know I should not lift "heavy things". Just what is heavy? I am still very sore and the skin on my belly feels "nervy" like all the nerve endings are sensitive to the touch. Any clothing touching the skins drives me nuts. Anyone else have this problem? Can only take baby steps when walking. pain in left side is too much to take normal steps. Sorry to rattle on. It is nice to see how you all are doing. Thanks for the website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2006, 09:32 PM
New Here

It sounds like you are doing pretty good, and I know the problem with the bowels- I didn't start 'moving' for several days post op and it was uncomfortable. I actually take Metamusil (felt like I was an old lady doing that!) but it worked like a charm. I also find it helps to walk as much as is possible, and I am now walking outside about 2 blocks a day, as well as up and down our stairs. My left side is the tender side too, and it stings at times. I am careful about lifting, and limit it to about 10 lbs. max (the cat). I think if you get up more to walk around your system will act accordingly. I am not sure how to list my surgery, but I had a TAH/BSO on January 25th.
Unread 02-03-2006, 07:39 AM
New Here

Yes I had exactly the same problem. I had passed a BM in the castle so was sent home. I was eating and functioning well and suddenly at 1 1/2 weeks my whole system sort of closed down- couldn't pass a BM or urine either. I was readmitted- it was all very painful getting sorted out. And I was sent home with a catheter for a few more days. I needed to use stool softeners for about 7 weeks in the end. I used them on doctor's orders until I was really loose instead- not nice but less of a problem. That was the clue to stop taking them.

Marion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2006, 08:11 AM
New Here

I had TAH BSO on January 26 and for me too, the bowel and bladder problems have been my biggest problems. Had to stay an extra day in the castle because I couldn't pee and had to have the catheter reinserted. It still hurts to go and I can't produce much at a time but at least it's moving. For the first few days home I was in pain, not so much from the surgery but from not being able to move bowels. Started drinking prune juice and finally got going. Then of course it went in the other direction. But now I'm so paranoid I'm afraid to eat. I agree, walking around as much as possible is helping the most. I was trying so hard to be "good" and not do too much that I wasn't moving enough.
Unread 02-03-2006, 08:37 AM
New Here

Frosted mini wheats does a great job keeping me regular. Be sure you are drinking a lot of water. Found this new juice at Sam's called 'Naked' It has a LOT of fiber, like 8 grams in one serving. It is a berry type smoothie. Lots of good fruits in there, all natural.

p.s. if you posted in the 'introduction' area, general members cannot reply there, don't know why.
Unread 02-03-2006, 09:28 AM
New Here

Hi - this is my first time to this web site also. I had LAVH on 1/19. I also have the sensitive skin on my stomach and it's been 2 weeks. It's driving me crazy. Yes - any clothes that touch my stomach hurt. Tylenol or darvocet w/ tylenol seem to help. I'm wondering when it will go away. By evening I have to get in bed.
Unread 02-03-2006, 09:34 AM
New Here

rcsieg, I had that sensitive skin also. Very irritating. I took to wearing low rise pants to keep clothes off of it. I am at 7 weeks and it is gone-the sensitive part. It still feels uncomfortable if my pants are too tight. A deeper muscle type pain. Good luck to you, it will get better.
Unread 02-03-2006, 09:45 AM
New Here

Hi lookingforhelp

Our Checkpoints at the top left of the page can give you some guidelines to lifting - 5 lbs is probably good for starters. I lifted virtually nothing my first couple of weeks - talk about "spoiled" by my DH ! The sore/tingling skin is caused by nerves being cut during surgery then regenerating over time. It can take up to 6 months to "heal" according to my docs. I read that some sisters have used a pantyliner over the sore spots for cushioning. I understand your baby steps! My 92 year old mom could walk faster than me the first few weeks of recovery

Remember to lots, keep up your and get lots of

s
Unread 02-03-2006, 10:17 AM
New Here

I had the same problem as you. The bowel pain was the worse. I just started feeling like they were back to normal when I started getting diarrhea yesteday from the antibiotic I'm taking for a bladder infection. Its never ending! I too have the numbness around the incision. This is just the oddest feeling. I hope it returns soon. I also have the left sided pain. Why is this? I noticed that I am more bruised on that side too. It seems to be getting worse. It feels like my hip bone is also bruised. I cannot lay on that side to sleep because it hurts so bad.
Unread 02-03-2006, 08:58 PM
New Here

I too had problems moving my bowels. I went off all pain meds and stopped taking the stool softeners. Also drank a glass of prune juice. Next morning drank more prune juice... and... voila... the bowels started moving again.
For me, I think the stool softeners are a very bad idea. (Hmm how does one politely discuss this?) Let's just say, the stools were so soft that I think my bowels couldn't "move" them... Had several agonizing days of painful false alarms, thinking I was finally going to have a b.m. but getting no results. I'm so glad that's, um, "behind" me now!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register