Scheduled dVH/RALH crapcrapcrap... U/S revealed "abnormaility" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

crapcrapcrap... U/S revealed "abnormaility" crapcrapcrap... U/S revealed "abnormaility"

Unread 04-16-2010, 04:59 PM
crapcrapcrap... U/S revealed "abnormaility"

I had an ultrasound screening today preparatory for my hysterectomy next month.

I've heard all kinds of stuff from the techs that do ultrasounds, but it's never good when they get a look of shock not even a quarter of the way through the exam and start exchanging concerned whispers.

They wouldn't tell me what they saw ("We're just techs, not doctors.") but they've also been techs for a very long time. Long enough to know what's normal and what's not.

So when I overhear "Right (mutter mutter) enlarged (mutter) centimeters at least (mutter)... No, it's not the angle (mutter)... Try (mutter mutter) get a clear image. (Mutter mutter mutter)", I'm probably ok to freak out a little bit.

My next appointment is the 20th, so maybe I'll find out exactly what they saw that freaked two experienced ultrasound techs out enough to start exchanging information in front of an already spooked patient.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Re: crapcrapcrap... U/S revealed "abnormaility"

First, take a BIG deep breath. It's ok to be scared. You wouldn't be human if you weren't. But, finding out there is an issue now before you are on the table is a good thing. It may change the type of hyst you have and you'll know about it as opposed to your surgeon telling you after the fact that it started one way but he/she had to quickly shift gears because of this issue. What is your hyst for?

I'm sending you big hugs! Try not to dwell on this over the weekend and do something special for yourself. You'll get through this! Keep us posted!
Unread 04-16-2010, 05:34 PM

My hyst is for long family history of cancer (cervical, ovarian, uterine, breast... you name it) and -very- heavy/painful periods with large clots. (Who knew that it wasn't normal to bleed through a super plus absorbent tampon and a pad every 45 minutes for two days?)

I'm trying not to freak out, but this is just scary as hell. I'm having the surgery so that I -don't- develop cancer... and I may have it already!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2010, 06:05 PM

You are very wise to be having your surgery now. If it is more serious, chances are, your doctor will call you. Your doctor can always move up the surgery if there is a reason.

I know it's easy to become preoccupied with the "what-if's". Have faith, breathe deep, and know that you are in good hands. After all, your surgery is already set, right?

As someone who has had lots of "abnormalities" on U/S, many times they come out fine.

Hang in there, and know we are all thinking of you. Let us know how your doctor's appointment goes on the 20th. That's only Tuesday. Keep yourself busy untill then. It will help.

Unread 04-16-2010, 06:06 PM

Hugs, honey. (don't mind the term of endearment, i'm a southerner...it's natural for me.)

I agree that it's a good thing they're finding something before surgery. And they're catching it now, whatever it is.

It will be manageable, otherwise, they would have done something immediately.

But you have every right to be scared and nervous. Take a notebook with you and write your questions and thoughts and concerns down.

good luck and my thoughts are with you.
Unread 04-16-2010, 06:10 PM

I can completely understand your panic. In Feb when I went for my annual, I casually mentioned to my gyn that my periods have gotten just a little bit heavier over the past year - nothing earth shattering - just a little heavier and about a day longer. No other symptoms of anything - no other cancers in the family. She wanted to do a vag u/s "just to have a look". Well, they do the u/s in house and when the tech finished, she said I need you to wait and talk to the dr. Uh, ok. When she came in, she said that something "showed up" on my left ovary and she has already scheduled a consult with a gyn/onc...tomorrow. WHAT!?!?! She said it could be nothing or it could be something, but the gyn/onc needs to be involved.

So, I met with the gyn/onc and I have a 9-10cm mass (think grapefruit) on/around/involving my left ovary and it must come out. He doesn't think it's cancer, but the path will be done while I'm on the table so he can do anything else he feels is necessary. That is why he's going abdominal. I've since had a CT scan which showed nothing but the mass, thankfully. So, next Thursday will be very interesting to say the least. I think my panic subsided after my second meeting with him. The mass must come out, I can't change that or what it is, but I can control how I react to all of this. For my own sanity, I am trying to keep a positive attitude and I redirect my focus when I feel those annoying "what ifs" creeping back into my head.

Hopefully, you have a good network of live support (family, friends, etc.). You certainly have tons of virtual support here with your sisters!
Unread 04-16-2010, 06:35 PM

I understand what you're going through. It is terrifying! The same thing happed to me in 2007 when they found a 10cm cyst on my ovary by U/S. It turned out to be an endometrioma cyst...I feared that it was the Big C because my CA125 test was elevated too. Thank God it was only endometriosis!

Then, last summer, my general practitioner felt a lump on my large intestine and immediately booked an ultrasound. A test that could have been only 20 minutes, ended up turning into over 2 hours on two different machines, two technicians, and one radiologist examining me! They found a tumor on my liver and did not know what it was. I stayed longer in the hospital, because they arranged to have a CT Scan done that same day. The scan did not diagnose what it was, but it gave them some ideas of what it could be. (I was still afraid of the possibility of cancer.) 3 months later, my GP booked an MRI...6 months later, the hepatologist booked me for a nuclear scan, through which they were finally able to discover what it was. It turned out to be a benign, hormone dependent liver tumor. It was caused by the birth control pills that I was taking to treat the endometriosis. It took over one year for them to finally figure out what it was! It was a very nerve wracking experience.

Hang in there and let us know how you're doing. You are in my thoughts and prayers!
Unread 04-16-2010, 06:43 PM

((Hugs))

I certainly understand how worried you must be. I would be too. I worry about everything.
Remember that an abnormality doesn't mean cancer, and I'm so sorry that you have been put into this panic mode because of these numbskull technicians who could have used a little more discretion.

Thinking of you....
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:09 PM

I totally understand. I had an ultrasound 5 years ago, took about 20 minutes and showed a uterine fibroid...wasn't causing problems so no big deal. Two months ago, went in for my annual exam and doc wants another ultrasound. This time it took almost an hour with the ultrasound tech muttering to herself the whole time.. you abolutely know something is wrong. I came home and immediately called my doctor and he called back that night with the results..said bigger fibroid, mass in ovary... so hystertime.. total shock.. but everything was benign...and it actually was a tumor hiding behind my ovary not something inside of it... so, hang in there and don't think the worst...

Unread 04-16-2010, 09:21 PM

H! I am a tech in the medical field, ultrasound is a scan that requires technicians to have a very high degree of training, it also can be very difficult to acquire a good view of a specific area because of other factors: the patients anatomy, or other artifact on the image. I would not worry until your dr says it's time to worry, the tech's were probably just trying to get a good / clear view of your existing issues. Just like when we call you back for additional views, this usally means the views we took did not come out for whatever reason: most likely machine related. It doesn't mean necessarily there is something wrong. I hope everything is ok, try not to worry. Kirstin

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register