Scheduled TAH 3 1/2 hour drive to job | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 1/2 hour drive to job 3 1/2 hour drive to job

Unread 04-01-2011, 07:58 AM
3 1/2 hour drive to job

I have been reading the threads here on recovery time and now I am concerned. I know everybody heals differently. I am scheduled for my TAH on April 20th. I work 2 jobs. One is a desk job in Oklahoma and the other is in a bagel shop in Kansas on the weekends. It takes me at least 3 1/2 hours to get to Kansas. I am one that doesn't like idol time and want to get back to work sooner then later. I was hoping to be able to go back at least part time in 4 weeks including going to Kansas. But after reading how your energy doesn't come back for months, I am worried when it would be practical for me to make the drive. I have somebody that will play chauffeur for a couple of weekends but the other delimna is I usually work long hours while I am there (15 to 18 hour days).
This is my first surgery too so I am scared on what to except and I don't want to do anything jerpordize my recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Re: 3 1/2 hour drive to job

I had my lsh/bso last Tuesday and finally felt up to going out to dinner with my fam to get out of the house. The ride was only 10 min, but the potholes hurt, and even just riding in general. It wasn't terrible pain, but when we got home I was beat and sore. It may take a while to recover, so its good to be flexible about when to return to work.
Unread 04-01-2011, 08:23 AM

((())) I am scheduled for surgery the 13 th and planning (out of necessity) to go back to driving my kids to school and home the following monday. I have discussed this with my doctor & he seems ok with it as long as it is short spurts & I am responsible about my pain meds.obviously its not optimal, but you do what you have to do for your family. I hope things work our smoothly for you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2011, 12:38 PM

With that long of a commute, I'd take as much time as possible. If you decide to go before 6 weeks, allow extra time & stop to walk around about every hour to prevent blood clots.
Unread 04-01-2011, 05:23 PM

If you can take the time take it. I know for me at 4 weeks post op I had a lot more energy and was walking & driving no problem. everyone is different so listen to your body. Good Luck.
Unread 04-01-2011, 06:21 PM

Wow! A 3 1/2 hour drive. Think about what is involved. To drive safely, you have to be off the narcotic medications, which stop the pain. You need to be able to stop HARD, which pulls on those abs that were operated on. You need to be able to TWIST around in order to go in reverse or see beside or around you.

And the basic being aware.

You may or may not be able to do that. AND working 12-18 hours? Probably on your feet and moving around?

I would talk all of this over with your doctor. I doubt he/she would recommend what you have in mind.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register