I think I'm having hot flashes?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I think I'm having hot flashes?? I think I'm having hot flashes??

Unread 07-19-2013, 08:05 PM
I think I'm having hot flashes??

I had a TLH on Tuesday July 16 kept both ovaries. I keep getting really hot even a little sweaty. I'm a cold natured person and my husband isn't. I asked him if it was hot in here or is it just me, he said its me. The heat comes in waves.
I am 41 years old. Does this sound like hot flashes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Re: I think I'm having hot flashes??

I am afraid that it does sound like hot flashes. Sometimes, the blood supply to the ovaries is disrupted and that can result in hot flashes.

This diagram explains how the blood supply to the uterus and ovaries can differ for various women. According to the info in the diagram, 56% of women have their ovaries get their blood supply from both the uterine and ovarian arteries. 40% of women have the blood supply come from the ovarian artery only and 4% get the blood supply to their ovary from the uterine artery only.

During surgery, the uterine artery is cut so you can see how the blood supply gets disrupted. For the 4% that have only the uterine artery providing the blood supply, it would logically seem that if that blood supply gets cut off, then the ovary would stop functioning. And for the other 56%, it would take time for the ovary to get used to have only part of its blood supply. I would assume that the 40% would be the ones feeling the least of the effects.

I am not a doctor but I think that my assumptions make sense when one views the diagram. I hope this helps.
Unread 07-20-2013, 12:02 PM

Thank you for responding. I knew my ovaries could go into shock and possibly shut down. I sweat like crazy when I'm sleeping to, my entire body drenched. Hopefully it will subside a bit. I've never had a hot flash so I wasn't sure if that's how they felt but feel like it maybe hot flashes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2013, 12:08 PM

I'm having similar symptoms, having really bad night sweats. I kept both my ovaries too.
Unread 07-20-2013, 03:59 PM

I had hot sweats during the night for the first 10 days or so. I had TVH July 5, all settled down now..hope you settle soon also.
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:34 PM

I have noticed hot flashes as well. Whew. It is def something I was not expecting as I kept both of my ovaries.
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:39 PM

I knew that even though I was keeping my ovaries I could experience some menopausal symptoms due to the ovaries going into shock from the surgery but after the surgery I forgot all about that until I started having the hot flashes and night sweats (nap sweats LOL). I'm optimistic that they will subside, they haven't been too bad just don't like waking up drenched.
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:33 PM

The other morning I had one soooo bad I couldnt catch my breath after a shower - I had to sit on my bed until it passed (about 20 min). It was soooo bad (I am 39, will be 40 in Dec). I had had symptoms like this prior to the surgery too (in fact for the past 12 yrs) - drives me crazy. I sure hope it subsides.
Unread 07-21-2013, 05:33 AM

I'm 48 and 7 weeks post op. Started hot flashes yesterday. No ovaries. I was dumb enough to think.... Ah ha, I'm gonna get away with this..... Nope.
My doctor warned me symptoms could pop up ANYTIME and we would treat as needed.
Hope things settle for you ladies. Crazy what our hormones do.
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:14 PM

I am 5 1/2 weeks post op and tlh with keeping one ovary. I have had these waves of heat and sweating, starting from my abdomen they aren't consistent like most people say at night and I'm not drenched, but now I am hoping that my ovary didn't stop working? I am 42. Is that like any of your hot flashes?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register