How are you handling the holidays? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How are you handling the holidays? How are you handling the holidays?

Unread 12-15-2013, 11:06 PM
How are you handling the holidays?

A lot of us on here have had surgery very recently, and I was wondering how you are going to handle the holidays?

Did you shop beforehand?
Did you decorate before surgery?
What are you doing Christmas Eve/Day & New Years?

We told our kids (they are older...24, 18 & 16) that we are only doing gift cards. My hubby will have to shop for our 2 granddaughters (2 1/2 & 3 mos.). I let everyone know beforehand that family needs to step up this year and handle details, since we host the family X-Mas Eve. I just didn't have it in me to think about Christmas before my surgery. I was too nervous and preoccupied. My therapist told me to just step back and let others serve me this year. I am the one who always bends over backwards for everyone else. It's hard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2013, 11:09 PM
Re: How are you handling the holidays?

Definitely scaled back this year. We ordered presents online, and decorations were minimal. I'm 5 weeks out and have no energy.
Unread 12-16-2013, 04:48 AM

We ordered everything early or online. My wonderful sister is hosting the Christmas meal, and the kids (and small grand kids) are aware of the "reduced" holidays this year. Most importantly, let others help you! You need to take time to heal. Even if you start to feel good, don't let it show too early, as once you get up and start helping out, everyone will assume you're ready to begin normal life, which is not the case. Take care,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2013, 05:45 AM

I cut back. Our children are acting like complete brats and are being scaled back accordingly. I ordered gifts from amazon and there are a few that will be donated to charity because our children don't deserve them. My son is mad at me because we did not go to Legoland because I can't do all the walking for it. Last night all the children, ages 7, 13, 17 refused to talk to me because they didn't like being reprimanded for acting like brats at a Chrustmas concert and a restaurant. Well guess what? Mom Santa is done. No respect for me means I don't care anymore. It's really sad but I nearly died due to complications and all my kids care about is themselves. It is so evident now and I really resent it. I bought gifts for myself from me and I'm wrapping them. Tables are turning very abruptly in my house. I'm most important and if they don't like it, too bad!
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:00 AM

I decorated before hand. It is definitely scaled back though, I ran out of time between work, Thanksgiving, and getting everything ready for my surgery. So it isn't what I usually do. I will go to Christmas Eve at my in-laws. She is fantastic, taking care of everything! I just need to show up. My DH and daughter 24 y/o will prepare Christmas dinner here and clean up. As for presents, I search the ads and my DH goes and gets it. I am hoping to be able to do little errands to finish soon. There's never enough time, lol!
Unread 12-16-2013, 07:43 AM

I let everyone else do the decorating, and only bought the absolutely essential gifts for those closest to me before surgery. I am going back to my parent's for Christmas, I have not seen any of my family since before my hysterectomy and divorce. My Oncologist was kind enough to supply me with some refills to my ativan so I saved it to refill before going!
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:09 AM

I did most of my gift shopping online before my surgery. We decorated the weekend of Thanksgiving, as usual. Hubby and my two boys have been so helpful and sweet. They come and get whatever I need and give me time to nap and watch TV with me when I am awake. They ask if I need anything and give me lots of hugs when I need them. I have a wonderful hubby that coached the kids very well. And I have very caring and loving boys. Hubby is hosting a Holiday party with coworkers (planned before surgery date) and he's taking it all on himself! Christmas Eve with my folks and my aunt will be laid back this year, and they are bringing soups! I usually cantor at church,and this time I am letting others do that. So, I just need to wrap presents, which gives me something to do besides nap, eat, and walk. And my mom is spending sometime with me, too, and I know she will help wrap presents, too.
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endolady509 View Post
I cut back. Our children are acting like complete brats and are being scaled back accordingly. I ordered gifts from amazon and there are a few that will be donated to charity because our children don't deserve them. My son is mad at me because we did not go to Legoland because I can't do all the walking for it. Last night all the children, ages 7, 13, 17 refused to talk to me because they didn't like being reprimanded for acting like brats at a Chrustmas concert and a restaurant. Well guess what? Mom Santa is done. No respect for me means I don't care anymore. It's really sad but I nearly died due to complications and all my kids care about is themselves. It is so evident now and I really resent it. I bought gifts for myself from me and I'm wrapping them. Tables are turning very abruptly in my house. I'm most important and if they don't like it, too bad!
I'm so sorry to hear that your family isn't supportive. Sounds like they need a good kick in the pants, if you don't mind my saying! Fortunately, I'm very lucky. My fiancé and his kids (ages 16-23) have been great. He always takes care of the Thanksgiving and Christmas meals, as everyone comes to our house. So that wasn't/isn't an issue. I cook the rest of the year lol. The 16 year old boy has been a little bratty, but that's typical for him. He gives me a hard time about helping with anything. His older brother (19) gives him a hard time when he talks back to me, so that helps.

Unlike everyone else, I did pretty much nothing to prepare for the holidays prior to my surgery! Oh yes, my fiancé does all the Christmas shopping for the kids, his parents, etc. I only have to shop for him and my mom, which I'm going to do today. The decorating? We have a huge Victorian home, and I'm decorating every room on the 1st floor while listening to old fashioned Christmas music. It's just me and the dog and the cat. I am having a blast! Just taking it nice and slow, taking lots of breaks, and whatever isn't done by Christmas...oh well. I decorated a 9 foot tree yesterday.

New Year's eve isn't planned yet. We just usually "wing it" every year. I'm sure I'll feel up to going out for an evening by then.

I've been very lucky and blessed with a good recovery...so far. Happy holidays everyone!!!
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:48 AM

Well, my husband has been laid off the past year, so Christmas is light anyway. When kids were little, I loved the big display-the play kitchens and lego sets. As they have gotten older-everything is technology. I miss the big "surprise" moments-but suppose that's part of growing up! My kids are 13, 16 and 20.

I limited Christmas decorations but its still nice. Headed out to aeropostle to finish up this am.

Our minister's children get 4 things-- Something to wear, something to eat, something they want and something they need. Love that and wish I had started that when young. As a Christian, the way they do gifts-the real meaning is more in the spotlight.
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:02 AM

My husbands loves to shop (I no he is strange)but he does it all I do little shopping on line and as it goes for decorating he does the outside and me and the kids do the inside my boys are older now so they put up the tree and we all decorate it son does underneath as he loves that job .I have daughters who are older 25 and 29 that will help cook ,as it goes for baking i buy or family does extra and gives some .It all works out in the end .As it goes for New Years I can never stay awake that late so we go to bed .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register