Uti | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Uti

I had a TVH on 7/21 and have developed what is most likely a UTI--I took the home test on Sat. that showed positive for leukocytes. My dr. called in an RX for antibiotic, which I have now taken for 2.5 days out of 7.

I am drinking lots of water and cranberry juice and also taking cranberry extract.

I am frustrated because otherwise I feel really good. I have a low grade fever/achiness that keeps returning after the ibuprofen has worn off.

Any suggestions for additional things I can do? I have only had 2 previous UTIs in my life, several years ago, so I'm not sure what to expect, or how long it takes to start feeling better. I also have pain in one kidney area, which is something I had with my previous UTIs.

Thanks!
Diana in OR
TVH with anterior repairs 07/21/2010
Kept left ovary
43yo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Re: Uti

give the meds more time to work...and keep resting and drinking your water and juice. honestly, a uti can make you feel like you have the flu! The fever and achiness can all be part of it.

I would say if you have not improved in another day or 2 or your fever gets higher, or you really take a down turn, call the doctor back.

I usually get them after having a cath in but this time did not.
Unread 07-27-2010, 04:34 PM

UTI's can be very draining. So rest, rest, rest, and drink water- 80oz - 100 oz. per day or 1/2 your body weight but taken in oz.'s. I like to use a heating pad on my back on med. heat and place a towel/pillow case between the pad and your back.
I take Advil for the pain but you will be on prescribed meds so just use those. I have used ice packs between my legs when swelling of the urethra is in issue with the UTI. Just cover the ice pack with a wash cloth. If you dont' see enough improvement after 3 days, call the Dr. Hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2010, 04:54 PM

try adding a probiotic to your diet as well -- something with L. acidophilus for your intestinal health, and bacillus rhamnoses and bacillus reuteri for your bladder/vaginal health. the product i use is called "fem-dophilus" by jarrow products. pricey, but i honestly believe it helps.

i also drink bragg's apple cider vinegar (diluted in water) to support intestinal health and balanced ph. so much of what we eat can support or hinder our insides. cut out any bladder irritants you can think of for now, and keep pounding the water down. if cranberry juice is too sweet, try adding some drops of fresh-squeezed lemon juice into your water -- use some real lemons for this, not anything in a bottle.

i hope you get better soon!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register