SEVERE Pain when sneezing/coughing | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

SEVERE Pain when sneezing/coughing SEVERE Pain when sneezing/coughing

Unread 05-15-2010, 08:23 AM
SEVERE Pain when sneezing/coughing

Hello ladies, i have not been here in a while. I hope those of you who have recently had surgery are healing well.

Please let me give some back history here. I am 1 1/2 yrs post TAH and appendectomy.. About 4wks after my TAH, i had a second surgery for a trapped nerve, and they also repaired a hernia they found during that surgery. About 8 more weeks later, i had a third surgery for two more hernia repairs. Now, being a 1 1/2 later, i do still have a bit of the "muffin top" stomach, and find it hard to do ANY abdominal exercise, as it causes pretty bad pain.
Now, the sneezing/coughing problem has been since day one. But you would think that it would not be an issue after a yr & 1/2. It is almost EVery time i sneeze or cough, if i am not bent over or in the fetal position when laying i experience SEVERE pain, (like screaming, w/ tears rolling out) pain. The pain subsides w/ in a few minutes (1-2) but then i am left w/ cramping type pain for a few hrs afterwards (def. liveable pain as far as the cramping goes).
I am wondering if anyone is still dealing w/ this and what they think it is???? I am so scared that i have multiple hernias or something since they pain can happen on the left or right side (lower abd, sorta where ovaries would have been)....Does anyone have any insight? I know i will need a new surgeon and maybe my gyn both involved, but i REALLY do not want to have more surgery.....HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Re: SEVERE Pain when sneezing/coughing

Shannon,
After my last c-section, I had severe pain if I did not bend over (or pull my knees up if I was laying down) and sneezed or coughed. My pain was from adhesions. That particular pain has gone since my hysterectomy and they removed the adhesions, but I am afraid I have other pains now that may be due to new adhesions. They are a vicious cycle. Please talk to your doctor to make sure it is not something more serious.
Unread 05-16-2010, 04:52 PM

Thank you for your reply. I have also wondered about adhesions...I used to have them alot from the other 6 abdominal surgeries. I had one that was attaching my stomach to my intestines that was causing problems.

Im so scared to go back to the doctor tho, i have already had a total of 7 abdominal surgeries, and i have two children at home that i care for, and i just don't want to put myself or them thru anymore of this.

At this point, if i do have more surgery, i want to make sure i have my GYN, my surgeon & a plastic surgeon all in the OR at the same time!!!!! I really want to put an end to this, but im so conflicted. I really thought my hyster would be the end of all this pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2010, 08:45 PM

I'm 8 weeks post op TAH and sometimes when I sneeze, but not all the time, I feel like my insides are going to explode. I don't understand it. I have to still hold my tummy. The pain almost hurts in my vagina and where the uterus used to be. I have no idea what it is, I chalked it up to still healing. I'd ask your doctor!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register