Hysteroscopic Sonogram (?) and Hysteroscopy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysteroscopic Sonogram (?) and Hysteroscopy Hysteroscopic Sonogram (?) and Hysteroscopy

Unread 01-16-2003, 03:11 PM
Hysteroscopic Sonogram (?) and Hysteroscopy

Hi,

This is my first posting, and I suppose I'm going to jump in with both feet.

I'm 42 years old, and divorced. I have one child, a 23-year-old son. I was diagnosed with fibroids, and an enterocele, in June of last year, which came as a total surprise to me.

I have a history of nominally heavy periods (not any heavier than usual, lately, just a bit of clotting and pre-period cramping, for about a week or so, off and on, before my period), and a history of chronic anemia, for the past 2-3 years or so.

I went to see my gyn today, to discuss treatment options for the fibroids. The first option was a laparascopic supracervical (?) hysterectomy, which is not on my list of things to do, if I can avoid it, the second option was an endometrial ablation, and the third option was a hysteroscopy.

I'm scheduled for a hysteroscopic sonogram on February 14th. He said it is an in-office procedure, in which a hysterscope is inserted into the uterus through the cervix, and saline solution is pumped in, in order to allow them to get a better picture of the inside of the uterus. He said there might be a little discomfort, when the saline solution is being introduced, such as cramping, but that it should cease once they stop injecting the saline. The procedure is supposed to take about 30-45 minutes, and I'm supposed to be able to drive home (or back to work) afterwards.

My question is this: Has anyone had such a procedure, and, can you give me any head's up on it, as far as what to expect, level of discomfort afterwards, will I *really* be able to drive myself home, is there anything I need to know or ask him?

As furthe background, I have five fibroids, one that is supposedly the size of a lemon, according to my first gyn, who's only treatment option was a hysterectomy "at my age," and, apparently, based on my most recent vaginal sonogram, about two weeks ago, a uterine polyp, and a thickened endometrium.

I'm not really sure that I *can* have another child, and I don't have a Mr. Wonderful right now (and haven't, for years), although I want to leave that option open, so that I can try for it, in the future, as long as I haven't yet gone through menopause.

Also, if anyone can tell me of their experiences with hysteroscopy, I would really appreciate it. Again, he said the recovery time is fairly quick; it involves a day surgery; and I could go home that afternoon, and should be able to return to work in a day or two.

Thanks, in advance.

Sincerely,

Brianna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2003, 10:21 PM

Hi Brianna,

Welcome to Hystersisters! I didn't have the procedure you're talking about, but maybe it's more comfortable than the transvaginal ultrasound I had! I had to drink a lot of water because they need you to have a full bladder to get a good reading....By the time I got to the office I was actually in pain! The tech performed the ultrasound outside my abdomen, then gave me a probe to insert into my vagina. There was no pain (except for needing to go really badly!)

Then I had to empty my bladder and she did it again (again, no discomfort).

Don't be upset if the tech doesn't tell you what they see --- I think by law they're not supposed to diagnose..

I hope this helps!

z
Unread 01-17-2003, 10:40 AM
something similar

Hi!
I had what is called a hysteroscopy resection (and a laparoscopy)in November. I think it is a little more invasive than what you are having done because mine was done as outpatient surgery. I had 2 submucous fibroids which they removed during the hysteroscopy resection. I think the removal is where the resection part comes in. I had slight bleeding for almost a month after the procedure and bladder contractions when I tried to empty my bladder, but like I said, what I had was more invasive so I don't know that you would have that. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck to you in your journey to find relief from the pain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2003, 12:07 PM

Hi,
I had a hysteroscopy but instead of using fluid they blew the uterus up with gas to have a look around then took a sample of the tissue. The sample taking was a sharp nip but over very quickly. I did take some anti inflamatories first for pain relief, but get OK from Dr first.

The whole proceedure was ok, slight bleeding afterwards.
I was glad that Dh was there and able to drive me home, felt a little light headed. Was told to take it easy for a couple of days. Had slight cramping for 3 days, but nothing worse than period cramps, found a heating pad helped.

He injected a local into the cervix first, that stung a bit, you know like a local dental injection does. I'd almost forgotten that bit! The whole thing was over pretty quickly, quicker than they'd said.

Personally it wasn't bad at all, nothing to stress about, hope yours goes well,
Vicky
Unread 01-17-2003, 12:28 PM

Hi,
I'm fairly new here too. Just joined tuesday (Jan 14). THis site has been very helpful and informative. It has relieved alot of my fears of having a hysterectomy. I have heavy bleeding, severe cramping, endometriosis, painful intercourse and a strangley tilted uterus and cervix which made it impossible to do a hysteroscopy. It was tried and the uterus was perfroated.
I had the hysterosonigram thing in Dec and it was very uncomfortable for me. They like to do it while on your period. I was on the fifth day of it and was still cramping so that just made the cramps worse. The good thing about it was they were able to find a polyp that they hadn't been able to see in any of the other ultra sounds. They use the same wand thing that they use with an transvaginal ultra sound. But with the polyp I'm now able to get the hysterectomy. The old dr I had wanted to do the ablation procedure but my new dr says to go ahead and take everthing out. YEAHHHH!!!!!!! About time. I've been complaining of these problems for over 10 years. With the Hysterosonigram they might be able to find something that they haven't been able to find before.
Unread 01-27-2003, 07:16 PM

Regarding the hysteroscpoic sonogram, when I had it done they use the transvaginal wand with the saline injected through a little tube, I had some mild cramping and slight bledding after the procedure. I would check the doctor to see if you can take some advil before the procedure to take the edge off. I haven't had the hysteroscopy resection done, because I wanted to try the Loestrin Fe 1.5 b/c pill for 3 months as a more concervative approach, and it hasn't been very successful. I would like to hear more about the resection if you have it done after your hysterscopic sonogram.

Best Wishes,
Michele

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register