Upcoming hysterectomy 2/10: Glycoprep-c lemon flavour bowel prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 2/10: Glycoprep-c lemon flavour bowel prep Upcoming hysterectomy 2/10: Glycoprep-c lemon flavour bowel prep

Unread 02-04-2015, 02:14 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/10: Glycoprep-c lemon flavour bowel prep

Hi ladies this is getting real picked up my bowel prep and antibiotics today to do on Monday not looking forward to this any advice would be great is it as bad as my nurse told me she even said I'll need to use Vaseline and baby wipes..should I just eat very light the day before?? Also I have a high bed will I have trouble getting in and out? And will I need a pillow fort to keep me slightly elevated? And should I be eating more protein before surgery..also I'm still bleeding quite heavy for 2 months and losing clots as well..will I be able to wear pad going into surgery? Hugs x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 2/10: Glycoprep-c lemon flavour bowel prep

I did the Colyte bowel prep - it was a gallon to drink over four hours.

I made the solution the night before and placed in fridge to get it extra cold.

I started the prep the next morning. I used a martini shaker with lots of ice with one cup of unflavored solution. Shake it like crazy and strained it into a chilled glass. I used a straw and gulped it down. Did this every 15 minutes and my prep was not bad at all. Start the prep by coating your butt with a lot of Vaseline. This will save you pain later.

I used hard cinnamon candy to get the flavor out of my mouth. I didn't find it to be so bad because making it super cold with the martini shaker essentially eliminated almost all flavor.

Good luck!!
Unread 02-04-2015, 08:12 PM

Hi KatVonDj -

I did a magnesium citrate bowel prep, and did not need baby wipes or Vaseline. While not a pleasant experience, it was not as bad as I thought. Just be sure you are home when you start. I ate normally the day before my bowel prep, but had specific instructions regarding food intake the day before my surgery (the day of my bowel prep). So, talk to your doctor and get instructions for the days before surgery.

For you high bed, you may want to have a step stool next to it so you can get in and out easier. You probably will not need an extra pillow to keep your head elevated, unless your doctor is requesting you do this. But sometimes you have to sleep slightly differently after this surgery. Just see how you feel and adjust from there. I needed an extra pillows across my abdomen to protect against cat visits

You should have no problem wearing a pad into surgery. Just let them know you have one on, and they will take the necessary measures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2015, 10:43 PM

Bowel preps just suck. I have never had a good experience with these. Some people say they have no problem with them though! I hope that's how it works out for you

Yes, eat light of you can. One of my docs said no bread no meat and potato type meals and no legumes.

I, typically, end up sleeping in the bathroom. If your bathroom isn't close to your bed I would suggest using a guest room if that is closer to the bathroom.

I've gone in while I've had spotting and I wore a pad in, let my nurse know, she brought me a new pad with my very sexy mesh panties. When I woke up I was laying on another new pad. They'll take care of you, you just have to let your nurse know.

You're almost on the other side of this! Time to think of all the things you'll be able to do when you've healed! Sending you warm thoughts
Unread 02-04-2015, 11:06 PM

Thank you Sisters for your advice and support I'm having moments of little panic attacks..so trying not to overthink to much lol trying ��
Unread 02-07-2015, 06:14 AM

Picked up my antibiotics and bowel prep gear yesterday. My instructions state a "low residual"diet Saturday, clear liquids only on Sunday. The laxative for mine is Picolax dissolved in 200ml of water to be taken at 5pm and just followed by water every hour. Diarrhoea within 3 hours. Then all antibiotics to be taken at 6 am Monday morning with a 7 am admission.

Low residue diet allows steamed fish and chicken, mashed potato and white bread. Skimmed milk is the only dairy allowed. Definitely states no red meat, eggs, green veg, wholegrain, nuts or fruit. Fluids allowed are same as on day of prep, so water, no-pulp juice, cordials and broths, black tea and coffee. Only solids allowed is clear jelly. Good luck Aussie sister, I'll be waiting for you on the other side.

Kat, my general information book from the hospital says those having bleeding on surgery day have nothing to worry about. They will "pack" the vagina and that packing usually is removed the day after surgery.
Unread 02-07-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatVonDj View Post
Hi ladies this is getting real picked up my bowel prep and antibiotics today to do on Monday not looking forward to this any advice would be great is it as bad as my nurse told me she even said I'll need to use Vaseline and baby wipes..should I just eat very light the day before?? Also I have a high bed will I have trouble getting in and out? And will I need a pillow fort to keep me slightly elevated? And should I be eating more protein before surgery..also I'm still bleeding quite heavy for 2 months and losing clots as well..will I be able to wear pad going into surgery? Hugs x
My bowel prep was miraLAX mixed with 64 ounces of Gatorade. It took me a minute to drink but I managed to get enough inside of me. Also, eating light will help as well with cleaning your system out. I didn't use Vaseline or wipes just regular tissue. I hope this helped.
Unread 02-07-2015, 02:29 PM

Thanks AussieH I didn't know about the low residue diet 2 days prior I guess today I'll be doing that today thank you again. I've been eating very light the last few days anyway..i have to start the prep monday I eat normal breakfast which now will be white toast not eggs then mix prep up midday and drink within the hour and only clear fluids. Then wake up at midnight to take 4 antibiotics. Be at hospital by 6.30 am hopefully not to much of a wait before surgery that when I'll get very panicky. Good luck to you for tomorrow be thinking of you x
Unread 02-09-2015, 12:43 AM
Bowel prep

hi I did my bowel prep 6 hours ago I waited for 1 hour before anything happened and then not much happened I went to toilet 3 times very watery and now I feel so bloated is this normal?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register