cervix--2 keep or not-how it affects orgasm - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cervix--2 keep or not-how it affects orgasm cervix--2 keep or not-how it affects orgasm

Unread 08-06-2003, 11:50 AM
cervix--2 keep or not-how it affects orgasm

Hi Ladies

Good news for me to!!!! The big "O" is MUCH better than before!!! and I had it all removed!!!! Don't worry to much...there are better things to come!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2003, 06:20 PM

I just had to reply to this...I too was concerned. I found out the day of my surgery that the Dr would take it too. But I am happy to report that the Big O is great. Very different but very good

I am now three months post-op and doing great! As my Dr put it to my DH at 6 weeks "Sir, you are good to go"

Good Luck

Tracey
Unread 08-06-2003, 07:10 PM

I say get it out .... clean house!!! Had my TAH on April 1st and the big "O" is now more like the big "OOOOOOOO ... YEAH!!" heheh. Not sure why so much better, and definately not going to question it

Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2003, 07:24 PM
All of mine is going...

I have been wondering about this also. But my Dr also pointed out that I'd not have to have annual Pap smears anymore. No chance of ever developing cervical cancer! He assured me that the only reason to leave the cervix in place was "because it makes the operation faster", and that he'd rather spend the extra time taking it all and making sure I never had pain again!!! I was concerned that orgasm would not be as intense, or would maybe never come (no Pun intended), but I also considered pain free sex. What a novel idea!!
Unread 08-06-2003, 09:26 PM

I always thought my great orgasms were because of my cervix. Boy was I scared to have it removed. But there was no choice. And I find afterwards that it had nothing to do with my great orgasms. They are still there, and just as plentiful. Nothing has changed except the fact that I can have them more comfortably and more often!!!!!
Tricia
Unread 08-06-2003, 10:31 PM
Re: All of mine is going...

Quote:
Originally posted by Imeldav
my Dr also pointed out that I'd not have to have annual Pap smears anymore. No chance of ever developing cervical cancer!
Dear Imeldav,

My surgeon (a uro-gynecologist specializing in pelvic reconstruction) told me that the uterus, cervix & vagina are all embryonically the same. There is no dotted line in there for the surgeon to use when removing your uterus and/or cervix. Therefore, cells from the uterus & cervix could be left behind after a hyst.

Once I had my post-op check-ups behind me, I returned to a *regular* ob/gyn for an annual check-up. We are HMO, but he automatically did a pap & suggested that a healthy test result means I could have the pap smear on alternate years. I spent many years using birth control pills, so I am *accustomed* to annual check ups.

I am past 40 (ack!!) and I have decided to continue *annual* (more or less) visits to my doc. My car goes for regular check-ups, my dog needs shots every year to get a license... and gosh darn it, I think *I* am worth some regular check-ups too. And as long as I'm in there (& naked ), I may as well get the works.

I hope you will settle on some sort of annual or bi-annual doc visits. Your good health is an asset worth maintaining (and you're WORTH it!).

Sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 08-06-2003, 11:30 PM

Dear Fran,

I see that many women have reported to you that losing their cervix did not affect their orgasms but sadly, I cannot say the same. Before my surgery, sex was the greatest pleasure of my life and I enjoyed it on a daily basis, ALWAYS having an orgasm. I knew that my orgasms were not only clitoral, but uterine and cervix involved too. Therefore I wanted my cervix to remain but my doctor took it anyway. I have not enjoyed sex since. (Jan 2002) While many women enjoy a clitoral orgasm, it was never my cup of tea. I think a better question to ask, than how it has affected other womens sex life is how YOU define orgasm. If you don't know whether YOUR orgasms are clitoral only or involve the cervix, then you should do some more research before you decide. Since my surgery, having been more educated on the subject, I have asked some of the wome who told me before that their sex lives were just as "good as ever" some more detailed questions. To my horror (too late) I have discovered that their ideas of "great sex" and mine were completely different. I have one friend who is as damaged as I am now and she made this comparison: It's kind of like the fourth of July ... if you haven't witnessed a "grand finale" before, then the sparklers are fun and exciting, but if you are used to the big grand finales, well, then you are going to be disappointed. As for me, now I can't even get the sparklers lit.

As for the cancer issue ... your chances of not surviving the surgery are higher than your chances of getting cervical cancer. Pap smear? Big deal. I would have one a week if I could orgasm again.

By the way, not only is there a bundle of nerves involved in your cervix, but the cervix also has glands that produce much of the lubrication for the vagina.

Before you decide, you might want to check out http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6874/2/1 which is an article my NEW gynecologist/endocrinologist, (who is trying to help me, as much as possible, with all the damage I had done to me) handed to me just yesterday. It is the LATEST research on hysterectomies and sexual function out there. (2002) Don't make my mistake and rely on uninformed or outdated information. I paid a very high price for my ignorance and would hate to see this happen to anyone else.

Fondly and sincerely,
Unread 08-07-2003, 06:56 AM

I am also one who can achieve clitoral and vaginal orgasm. And they are different. But since I had my cervix removed I have seen no difference. I still have fantastic 'vaginal' orgasms. Sorry to confuse the matter more. (I find clitoral orgasms more intense, but vaginal orgasms more satisfying). I am so sorry that you are having this difficulty.

This is like any other post here. We are all DIFFERENT. What works for me may not work for you. While just because I still enjoy sex vaginally does not mean you will. You must decide this for yourself.

Tricia
Unread 08-07-2003, 08:30 AM

I stated before everything was taken in my case - cervix, uterus, tubes and ovaries. I have no problems lubricating without my cervix. My DR suggested that I use a lubricatant, but have found no need for one.

I'll agree that my "O's" are different than before, but I think they are stronger and last longer.

Trish

TAH/BSO with bladder repair
Unread 08-07-2003, 09:48 AM

Great. When I was in my 20's I gave up drugs, last year I gave up cigarettes, now you're telling me my orgasms are at risk?!?!?
Next you'll be telling me I can't consume alcohol while on my pain meds, or drive my strick shift for 6 months (LOL)!!
Thanks for the tread Ladies, it's given me alot to hink about before my pre-op visit.
jp

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register