how soon were you out of bed after tah with vertical incision - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how soon were you out of bed after tah with vertical incision how soon were you out of bed after tah with vertical incision

Unread 02-23-2007, 09:46 AM
how soon were you out of bed after tah with vertical incision

I had a TAH with a vertical incision and was up and walking within 3 hours of returning to my room. I was walking myself within 2 hours. I was released 48 hours after the operations. They said that all the walking I did meant going home a day earlier.

Take care Lyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2007, 11:41 AM

I had TAH 12th Feb and was out of bed up and walking the very next day, and came home on the Wed. I was very suprised how I felt, heard lots of horror stories and it wasnt anything like I heard it was. Everyone is differant and cope with things in their own way. I am very strong willed and tend to not let things knock me down so I knew before surgery I would be up and about the next day!!!!!
Just do things as you feel fit and you will be just fine.
Good Luck x x x
Unread 02-23-2007, 12:35 PM

I had a TAH w/RSO w/vertical incision on Jan 30th. I got to my room around 6:30pm. Had a clear liquid diet and stayed in bed until morning when they removed the cath. I stayed in bed for about another hour until I had to go to the bathroom. After that, I started getting up about every two hours whether it be to sit on the the edge of the bed or walk to the hallway. Later that day I started walking the halls. I didn't push myself too hard but wanted to make sure I moved so my bowels wouldn't be a problem.

I too work in a small hospital but not as an RN. My DR allowed me to write my own orders so I did feel a little in control of my recovery. I had some things schedule instead of PRN so I wouldn't be forgotten. Try to see if your DR will allow your input on your recovery. I stayed in the castle 3 days due to a fever. As soon as I got home I hit the couch and rested. But, every once in a while I would get up just to walk around then hit the couch again.

I really recommend you to work at your own pace. Don't over do it. Remember, you only have one chance to heal properly.

Just one more word of advice about the vertical incision... Not to scare you but just minutes after my staples were removed, I got up off the table to get dressed in the DR office. I dropped my panties on the floor. Dummy me bent over to pick them up and my incision split open. I am a big girl and had no business bending over. Now I am having to deal with that issue. So, my advice to you with the vertical incision... If you drop something, act as though it is a million miles away from you and have some body esle pick it up.

Keep your chin up, you will be fine. Please trust me when I say that waiting for the surgery is the hardest part. Or, at least it was for me.

Good luck and
Charlene
Unread 02-23-2007, 01:47 PM

I was in surgery by 8 am,out by 11:45 am.Wide awake til 5:30 pm,slept til 6:30 pm.Nurse had me sitting for a little while,back rub and massage.Walked for 5 minutes-Sat in chair for 15 minutes-Back in bed by 7:15 pm-Asleep by 8 pm.More walking Saturday and Sunday.I'm still a little sore but do what the nurses say
Unread 02-23-2007, 07:28 PM

My surgery was at 7:30 AM, I was in a room by 11:00AM. They had the pump things hooked up to my legs and I had a catheter. They only let me have ice chips the whole first day. I begged the doctor for some juice when she came that afernoon. She quickly told me 'no' because it would make me throw up and she upped my IV fluids. I had dura-morph during the surgery, maybe that's why. She had told the nurses at 8:00 PM I could try juice and sure enough I threw it up. TMI, I know.

Anyway the next morning when she came around they removed the catheter and the leg pumps and thanks to my sister's help I got up and walked around a little. I had a liquid breakfast and liquids until I passed gas. Then they started giving me solids.

Forgot to add, I had a SAH with a long vertical incision.
Unread 02-23-2007, 08:31 PM

Hi,

I also had a vertical incison.

Was out of bed for the first time the morning of the next day following surgery.

Did not walk the halls much until the next day.

I did not find the pain bad at all. Took only Mortin after my PCA was removed. My Dr. was kind enough to have me sedated with a demerol/phenergan shot before he arrived to pull my JP drain. I cannot imagine how bad it would have hurt with out the shot.

I am also a nurse. Just ask for a No Visitors sign on the door-most all respect that. I did not want to be worn out by too many visitors-or for that matter, have anyone and everyone, see me looking like that. What I told everyone, was to please visit me @ home, when I got lonely. I took 8 weeks off and do not regret the decison one bit. I had one of my best nurse friends spend the first night with me-it helped alot-she was a former OR nurse.

Best wishes. None of it was anywhere as bad as I thought it would be.

I send a

Sweetpea
Unread 02-24-2007, 07:07 PM

Seems like everyone gets up and walking at least the morning following the surgery. I was think of thinking they'd let me get up that afternoon of the surgery, but they didn't. I guess it's according to what meds you had in the surgery and the doctor.
Unread 02-25-2007, 01:52 AM

Hi Aurwhe
My surgery was late in the day, so I didn't get up until the next morning. I was a bit shaky at 1st, but that soon passed. After that I walked the halls constantly until I went home. The pulling on my vertical incision was not as bad as previous caesars which were horizontal cuts. I was also sewn up, not stapled.
I think it helps if you are reasonably fit to start with, so get some walks in before surgery.
Good luck.
Unread 02-25-2007, 10:02 PM

Aurwhe, Hi, I too was scared when I had my surgery on Feb. 12, 2007. It was my first surgery and I also work in a hospital as an RN in ob/gyn. Sometimes knowing what can happen makes it scarier even though most cases are uncomplicated. I had a TAH for cancer with ovaries, tubes, uterus, cervix, and 42 lymph nodes removed. It was painful when I woke up but they give you a lot of pain medication I had a pca pump and was able to give myself medication when needed. It was not as horrible as I had myself believing. The next day I was walking the halls and went home on 3 days post op. I chose to go to a different hospital then the one I worked in because I wanted some privacy and I work with about 150 people. At the hospital I went to I did not get the care I would have gotten from the people that knew me but at the time it seemed the best decision for me. Where I went to it was busy the nurses were understaffed so they weren't able to get me up to walk. So I got up 3 times a day and walked the hallway when a friend would come to visit. I believe that speeded up my recovery. Hope this helps. Good luck I know you will get through this. The hardest part for me was the waiting. Cindy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register