Breast feeding after a hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Breast feeding after a hysterectomy Breast feeding after a hysterectomy

Unread 09-19-2005, 07:37 PM
Breast feeding after a hysterectomy

I would like to hear from some of you who did breast feed after...Did you have any problems?? My doctor says there is a hance of my milk drying up and not being able to nurse any more. I would like to know your experieces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2005, 08:12 PM

There's an excellent response about breastfeeding by member Shellebelle in this thread:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/showthread.php?t=54658

You may also find this article interesting:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsarticle.php?id=97142

Hopefully, someone will come along who has personally had a hysterectomy while nursing a baby.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsarticle.php?id=97142
Unread 09-19-2005, 09:41 PM

Hi Bfamily:

I have a five month old daughter. Had my hysterectomy on the ninth of September. I breastfed her right after surgery and continue to do so today.

Talk to your child's pediatrician concerning what type of drugs you should avoid during bfeeding. Also talk to your surgeon and tell him or her that you plan on breastfeeding and want drugs that are compatible with it. They also have a book at the hospital in which they can look up whether or not the drug is safe during lactation.

I had an epidural, and my daughter's pediatrician said that women bfeed right after a csection and have no problem. I thought that was a great point.

So...the answer is yes, you can successfully breastfeed. My supply hasn't lessened a bit

Eleni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2005, 04:45 PM

Okay, I need to try and at least see if he will take a bottle just in case my milk does dry up. So does anyone have any ideas how to get him to suck on a bottle. He is only six months old...I've tried pumping and putting my milk in the bottle. I've tried every kind of nipple I can think of. I'm worried about doing a sippy cup, because he may not get all that he needs right now. I've tried apple juice. I've tried just keeping the bottle right there so he will get used to it. Is there anything else that I can try. He cries and cries. I feel so bad. I don't want to quit nursing him, but I don't want to keep hurting and bleeding all the time either. My doctor won't let me do a hysterectomy unless he will take a bottle. Just in case my milk dries up he needs to be able to fall back on something. None of what I am trying has worked yet.

Thanks for you help.

Cindy
Unread 09-22-2005, 05:15 PM

Cindy,
I don't understand why your dr. won't do the hysterectomy because you won't bottlefeed. My Dr. even made sure my meds didn't clash with my breastfeeding. If it's important for you to bf, don't back down. I'm glad I continued.

If in doubt, Talk to your baby's pediatrician. You can also contact a la leche representative in your area who would be more then happy to answer your questions. Their website also has a wealth of information.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/

I've never heard of milk supply drying up. I have heard that it my diminish a little, but other than that, you shouldn't have any problems.

Regarding a bottle, have someone other then yourself feed him as your baby looks at you and only wants the breast. When he gets used to the bottle, then you can give it a try.

My husband bottle fed at home and I breastfed her at the hospital. It worked better then I expected.

Hope I was able to inspire you to continue to BF

Eleni
Unread 09-22-2005, 08:09 PM

Cindy,
Try the platex bottles that have the disposable liners, the nipple is more shaped like a woman's nipple. My DD would take those when I was at work and I would just pump enough milk to get her through the hours that I was at work. If you are afraid your milk might dry up take a breast pump to the hospital with you and pump as often as your baby would feed.
Hope this has helped a little bit. Good luck and 'S

Shan
Unread 09-22-2005, 09:59 PM

bfamily,
there s actually a bottle called the breast bottle...that is shaped like a breast/nipple...it can be ordered from "step ahead" i purchased them for my son and had no problems...stores may even sell them.
Bernice
Unread 01-09-2006, 03:43 PM

I just wanted to follow up. I had my hysterectomy. I breastfed the day after my surgery. The surgeon was great to work with me. I am breast feeding to this day. I'm so glad that I did it. My baby had a hard time the first day at home with Grandma. But as soon as I came home he was fine.

Thanks for all of your support and responses

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register