245 days out 365 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

245 days out 365 245 days out 365

Unread 01-25-2010, 09:25 AM
245 days out 365

Thats how many days I have had a cycle in the last year.

Good Grief....I hadn't done the number but I was putting together medical history and doing a menstral chart for my doctors appointment. When you look back it can be very suprising.

I finally made a decision and am set to see the doctor (again) Tues. But they have already told me an ultrasound has to go through an approval process first. I am not on insurance, this is their own approval process at the doctors office. I guess to determine if they feel its necessary?

Anyhow I have to go through all of this before they can schedule me at the womens center and give me rates for a hysterectomy...

I am so tired of being tired....But I guess I gotta get it rolling somehow..My QOL definately stinks right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Re: 245 days out 365

Wow that is a lot of days on your cycle!
when I was first going through this process I didn't have insurance and the ultrasound that the Dr wanted me to have was going to be $500 so I put it off for 5 months and now am at 8 months later and am now miserable. I have large fibroids and an enlarged uterus. I found a private ultrasound place that offer affordable scans done for $100 way more affordable. After my Dr. saw the results she said that I needed to have the TAH done as soon as possible. It took me a little longer because I was in the process of getting insurance but am now covered and getting the surgery on Feb. 2nd. I guess I said all that to say this - If you can - go ahead and get the process started as soon as possible because waiting only makes things worse.

P.S. ask your Dr. about starting an iron regimen. When mine started me on 325mg ferrous sulfate or 65 mg elemental iron 3 times a day I started getting some energy back, now just miserable at the size of things in my abdomen. Don't start this without talking to your Dr. first though you have to be careful with taking too much iron.
Unread 01-25-2010, 03:29 PM

hystersisterdi
Good idea to talk to your Dr about iron. Sometimes it makes you bleed more but sometimes it just does the energy thing.
I completely understand about being tired of being tired!!!!
Hope everything goes well.
Hugs,
Suzanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2010, 11:10 PM

i had to have an iron infusion after heavy clotted (almost miscarriage-looking) bleeding for 4 weeks non stop (and this is my normal period every month).....my hematocrit (iron level) was at 19- after a 6 hour infusion at the hospital and 4 weeks on iron supplements my hematocrit is up to 39....i was having a hard time functioning from the exhaustion and lack of energy...i feel so much better now- and now i can go ahead with the scheduled surgery (feb1st) ......ck into getting some iron with your doctor...it really makes a tremendous difference!
Unread 01-26-2010, 05:32 AM

Thanks for the replies...

My hemoglobin level has come up alittle. It was a 6.1 in august. I took a test on Jan 2 and it was at 7.1.

I currently take ferrous sulfate 325mg.

Got my fingers crossed that today will be a good day and this doctors office/clinic will help.
Unread 01-26-2010, 05:45 AM

i was waiting for an ultrasound. I had found a place and they were going to do it for free as part of a study locator. I talked to one gal and was waiting as instructed then about a month later I got another call for someone higher up letting me know it was getting closer. Then she asked about ins. (said I did not have ins) she said they would call when they were ready to schedule. But I knew that it was over. the pre screening was to find out who could participate, but it was all going through the ins for the charges. so that left me out. no call and they were not returning call either. So I was back to figuring something else out.
its hard to stay positive when you keep hitting brick walls. We tried to get ins. But preexisting/rider applies and the rates get bumped on top of that. well who can afford to get sick under those circumstances....

so we decided to go see the dr get the us so we know what we are dealing with and decide what to do from there....I know now there will be more records for the ins co to use against us....oh well.
Unread 01-26-2010, 10:47 AM

you might check around on the insurance a little. I don't know what state you live in but in Oklahoma they have a state insurance program that covers pre-existing conditions. After we paid our premiums, all i have to do is wait until the start date and my surgery is scheduled for the next day after the start date. The Co-pays are reasonable also. It covers health and major medical. It doesn't cover vision or dental. Private message me and i can try to help you find something. Another thing to look at is clinical research studies on pain medicine, often they will cover the cost of surgery and medication - you just have to get back and forth for the checkups after surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register