Any Teachers? How long before you felt up to teaching? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any Teachers? How long before you felt up to teaching? Any Teachers? How long before you felt up to teaching?

Unread 01-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Re: Any Teachers? How long before you felt up to teaching?

I'm going back tomorrow and as I said earlier I teach Title 1 to 1rst-5th grade. Thankfully Monday is my planning day. I decided to take Wednesday off to break up my week. Crossing my fingers I make it through the week. My husband is already prepared to make sure my evenings are spent doing nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2014, 02:50 PM

I teach 5th grade math an science. I had a very hard time also with my students having a sub. Many of my students do not have a lot of support in their homes. But, I took 3,weeks; one was the week of Thanksgiving. Then 2 more following our break. I went back for 3 days right before Christmas break. Monday was good but I was very sore and extremely tired. Tuesday was about the same but i was feeling so tired, i was worried about my sorness and everyone kept telling me how bad I looked. I called the doc. And my principal told me to atleast take a half day and go to the doctor. I did and i was feeling good when i left for my appointment. I am so glad i went, i had to have granulation removed on the cervical cuff. I have read that this is not too bad but, i completely disagree! It was very difficult. All of this to say, listen to YOUR body. If i had listened to my body i would have waited and called the doc. sooner. Everyone is different, i am so sick of hearing about people who were exercising before their 6 weeks. I am happy for them but everyone is different. Go with your gut instinct! Lastly, I wish I had thought of working half days. That may be the happy medium.
Unread 01-05-2014, 03:26 PM

I was suppose to go back tomorrow-one day shy of 5 weeks. However--it snowed❄️❄️❄️❄️!! So thankful to have an extra day to just rest!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2014, 07:25 AM

I teach first grade also. My doctor said that 6-8 weeks is the norm for being out of work. I'm healing slowly, still in pain and tons of pressure. I am scheduled to go back on the 13th, but my dr. Said to push it back to the 27th. Feel very badly about not being there for my students , but know that getting up and down off the floor 10-12 times a day will be very painful at this point. Guess I'm going to listen to my doctor and go back at as close to 100% as I can.

I also have 4 little boys at home, so I know there will be no resting when I get home for the day.
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:43 AM

Please, sisters, if you're able: take as much time as you need! I can't believe how much you do. I am returning to the university classroom today and my TAH/BSO was October 9. The 6-week mark for me was right around Thanksgiving, and, while I was able to be with our friends, I couldn't sit, had trouble wearing clothes, and had to go lie down in the middle of the feast! I couldn't bend to tie my shoes till Week 7! I suspect I'm older than the majority posting here, my surgery @ age 58…. but we all need time to heal. Happy new year, sisters! Romy
Unread 01-06-2014, 04:37 PM

I teach high school math and coach. My doctor said not to go back until Jan21st and I'm going to listen. Too many people have told me that they went back too soon. When I go back it will be wide open and 10+ hour days so I want to be on my A-game. Don't want or need a set back....the school will run without you and the kids will be ok with a sub. I felt guilty for awhile, but it has passed. I don't think I could go back at 100% right now. I have to take too many rest breaks. Take care of you or you won't be able to take care of the kids.
Unread 01-06-2014, 06:33 PM

I went in and worked in my classroom today (sitting behind my desk doing grades and creating lesson plans for substitute only...nothing too strenuous) and by hour 3 I thought I was going to fall asleep at my computer. The pain was awful too. (I didn't take any meds because I had to drive). I still had a little upset stomach this morning too.

I have a sub the rest of this week and will see how I feel on Sunday to make a decision then about next week. I will be out of paid leave soon...but gosh, I am not sure I will make it. I was SO TIRED today. My doctor doesn't place limitations after week 3 of recovery with the laparascopic . It is at our own discretion and comfort level...

I have to be honest and say that I thought I would be one of the people who "bounces right back" but I believe I was wrong. This is much harder than I thought it would be. Boo. It WILL be better in the end, though. Happy teaching ladies!
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfullyLivin View Post
I am 17 days post op from Da Vinci. My recovery has been pretty smooth - incisions healing well and so far no spotting or bleeding at all! I still get tired quickly and am fighting insomnia. Otherwise, I can't complain. I am returning to work tomorrow...I teach 6th grade. Tomorrow is an inservice day, so just meetings and sitting. I'm nervous about the rest of the week, but have already told myself if it is too much, then I will take this week off. I made sure my lesson plans were done for January prior to my surgery, so I am prepared just in case! I really hope I can handle being back though, as I am getting pretty restless here at home. Fingers crossed!
Well.......I'm eating my words tonight! Today's inservice day did me in. I ended up at my doctor this afternoon because I felt so bad and she convinced me to take this week off and possibly the next. I'm taking her advice and that of others on here, as hard as it may be. My wonderful hubby went to school with me tonight and helped me get things ready for my sub. We all know how hard it is to be absent as a teacher....but I am putting myself first for once. Back to my recliner, Kindle and HGTV
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:26 PM
Any Teachers? How long before you felt up to teaching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfullyLivin View Post
Well.......I'm eating my words tonight! Today's inservice day did me in. I ended up at my doctor this afternoon because I felt so bad and she convinced me to take this week off and possibly the next. I'm taking her advice and that of others on here, as hard as it may be. My wonderful hubby went to school with me tonight and helped me get things ready for my sub. We all know how hard it is to be absent as a teacher....but I am putting myself first for once. Back to my recliner, Kindle and HGTV
I am 2 weeks ahead of you with dvh and I still have another week and 2 days. I am kind of nervous about going back then. I can't imagine how tired you must be! I know weeks 2 & 3 were tough for me. Cramping, random sharp pains, and fatigue that hit me out of nowhere. I have had a super easy recovery but I still feel it and am resting most of every day. Take the time off to heal and your kids will be fine. It's amazing we love our students so much we are willing to risk our health for them. My doctor has been totally insistent that I will take all 6 weeks off. Rest up guilt free!
Unread 01-07-2014, 05:14 AM
Any Teachers? How long before you felt up to teaching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslaceynicole View Post
Hello Ladies!

I teach first grade and I had my surgery on the 23rd of December. I am scheduled to return to work on the 9th of January, and I am starting to panic a little bit. I am still having some pain and a lot of swelling in my belly, not to mention being EXHAUSTED. I am just wondering how long before you were feeling like teaching? My boss has said that I can take off the rest of that week if I need it, so that is good, but that would mean that my class would come back from a 3 week break with a substitute for the entire week. YIKES!

I am on my feet all day long in the classroom, and moving around the room constantly. The thought of that right now would be impossible. Any tips and advice appreciated! I am so nervous about this.
Hi, I'm not a teacher but have a very high stress job where I'm on my feet for 9 hours like you are, I went back @ 3 weeks post TAH and it was the BIGGEST mistake of my life!!!! For many reasons!! I'm now resentful and sore!! I am encouraging any ladies no matter what they do for work to take as much time as they can!!! You really do only get one shot @ a great recovery so don't waste it like I did!! All the best, you deserve a medal for dealing with grade 1'ers, uugghhh lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register