TAH Tiredness 2 months post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tiredness 2 months post hysterectomy Tiredness 2 months post hysterectomy

Unread 11-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Tiredness 2 months post hysterectomy

Hi there

I am 2 months post op TAH for large fibroids and heavy periods. Surgery went well and I am mending but I do feel very tired every day. Usually when I wake (even though I sleep all through the night now) and find I need an afternoon nap! I'm only 47 years old. My iron levels were borderline on the day of surgery due to the heavy periods. I have had a hemi-thyroid surgery a few years ago. I am delighted that I have managed to achieve the goal the consultant gave me to walk 3 miles by the end of November (3 months after surgery). I wish I could shake the lack of energy - the dips and tiredness. My scar is larger that normal because during surgery they found additional fibroids, cysts and polyps which needed space to come out. The scar is curing really well.

I am not sure if it is related but on my upper abdomen (by my right rib cage) I have a dull ache that builds up during the day too. I am wondering if this is related to my TAH or potentially to my gallbladder surgery again a few years ago - the gallbladder was removed entirely. Any suggestions?

And finally, should the discharge have ceased? I get some very light appearances ... and a swelly belly at times.

Otherwise I am fit, doing well and glad to be on the road to recovery. I am not sure that I will be fit for work after 3 months and think it might take until after Christmas. The time off bothers me. I teach and in a very demanding role/team.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and help.
Berny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Re: Tiredness

I was tired everyday by 2 pm after I went back to work. It lasted for 4 months. Now I am up till 11:00 every night , then up at 6:00 am.., just like before. I still get swelly belly at 10 months out. I also have the dull ache and my rib cage hurts at times. I was told the muscles are still weak by the ribs. However my tumor was pushing up on the rib cage as it was so big. My body is still healing and everything moving back into place. Long recovery on my part..
Unread 11-22-2014, 02:09 PM

I'm almost 2 months post op and I'm still super tired. I have no energy which really bothers me. I have one more week off and then I'm back to work. I also teach and have a very busy class, I'm not sure how I will manage.

I still get swelling in my stomach and it's still sore. My scar has healed nicely but I do have the dreaded "over hang" above my bikini scar. It took me a full year to shrink after my C-sections so I'm hoping this too will go down in size.

We just got back from the mall, we were there 3 hours and I'm exhausted!

I can't wait for the day I wake up and forget I even had this surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2014, 02:18 PM

I also get tired very fast and very emotional. I will be 6 weeks post TAH on Tuesday and I am released for normal activities, even sex. Im a bit anxious about going back to work next week. We just have to listen to our body's . I wish I could take naps but I have a bad case of insomnia . Up all day go to bed about midnight . Hope you feel better soon and remember , you are not alone.
Unread 11-28-2014, 06:28 AM

I am 47 and a second grade teacher and I had the TAH just like you. I took 6 weeks off because after 5 I knew I would not have the energy to get through a school day. I am 6 months out now and back to where I was before with my bootcamp workout weights and walking. You too will get there, just give yourself time. I didn't have the discharge but swellybelly for sure. Even now I get it when I do a lot of AB work or lots of bending. It takes time. hang in there, you are doing fine. I went back to work for just mornings my first week back and was thankful to be able to go home and take a nap. Talk to your principal to see about coming back slowly. Your students are fine and you need to take care of yourself <3
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Berny View Post
Here

I am 2 months post op TAH for large fibroids and heavy periods. Surgery went well and I am mending but I do feel very tired every day. Usually when I wake (even though I sleep all through the night now) and find I need an afternoon nap! I'm only 47 years old. My iron levels were borderline on the day of surgery due to the heavy periods. I have had a hemi-thyroid surgery a few years ago. I am delighted that I have managed to achieve the goal the consultant gave me to walk 3 miles by the end of November (3 months after surgery). I wish I could shake the lack of energy - the dips and tiredness. My scar is larger that normal because during surgery they found additional fibroids, cysts and polyps which needed space to come out. The scar is curing really well.

I am not sure if it is related but on my upper abdomen (by my right rib cage) I have a dull ache that builds up during the day too. I am wondering if this is related to my TAH or potentially to my gallbladder surgery again a few years ago - the gallbladder was removed entirely. Any suggestions?

And finally, should the discharge have ceased? I get some very light appearances ... and a swelly belly at times.

Otherwise I am fit, doing well and glad to be on the road to recovery. I am not sure that I will be fit for work after 3 months and think it might take until after Christmas. The time off bothers me. I teach and in a very demanding role/team.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and help.
Berny
Unread 11-28-2014, 08:26 AM
Re: Tiredness 2 months post hysterectomy

I am 6 years out and happy I did it. Just know all you are going through is perfectly normal. It takes at least a year to get back to your normal self. Three months is just a point of starting to feel more like your self. All I can recommend is move around and get active. Don't over due it! As hard as it is, I know, let people help you and rest and nap when you need to for the first three month. You will be like me in 6 years looking back saying "yes! I made the best decision." You may not think it now but all will be wonderful. Good luck and happy healing.
Renae
Unread 11-28-2014, 08:34 AM

I'm 18 weeks post-op. Some days I have a lot of energy, some days none at all. The insomnia is gone, moving my workout schedule to the evenings, after work helped. My drowsiness usually starts at 3 pm. Drinking coffee or a caffeine soda makes me sick to my stomach. Before TAH, I took a 2 hour nap on Saturdays. Now it's 4-5 hours. But on the bright side, I know this is only temporary.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register