What to wear "below the belt" in and out of the hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to wear "below the belt" in and out of the hospital? What to wear "below the belt" in and out of the hospital?

Unread 08-26-2004, 11:11 PM
What to wear "below the belt" in and out of the hospital?

My surgery is coming up really fast here and I've not seen anything on this topic, but wondered what you all would say. My question is about what to wear leaving the hospital and once at home for recovering. I've planned to wear some big tees for lounging nighties, but what about panties, bottems, whatever?

What will I NOT be able to wear?

And what the heck do I wear to leave the hospital? I am having a TAH. Any suggestions appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2004, 12:02 AM

Well, I wear gowns/nightshirts anyway so that is what I wore when I got home. Of course I wore underpants too!

As for coming home, I took a pair of capri pants which I knew were large on me. I came home with my catheter, but was still able to wear those home.

I would say the only thing you might not want to wear right away would be tight jeans.
Unread 08-27-2004, 01:40 AM

I wore a loose cotton knit dress to and from the hospital with "granny panties."

Once I was home, I either wore comfy nighties or loose mens jammie pants and a huge t-shirt. Comfy is definitely the name of the game!

I stayed in jammies most of the first 4 weeks. It reminded both my family and me that I was still recovering from surgery. Anytime I overdid it after that first 4 weeks, I was back in jammies for a day or two.

s
Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2004, 06:54 AM

Hi there

In the hospital, once the catheter was removed, I wore an older, stretched out pair of bikini cut panties and loose cotton jammie shorts.

After I got home I wore loose, drawstring men's sleep shorts (made of t-shirt material). You can get them at Target. I also had several sweat shorts, and big baggy t-shirts.

Good luck to you, may your surgery and recovery be uneventful!
Unread 08-27-2004, 07:13 AM

I'm a big girl, (5'7", 330) and I bought a couple of colorful knee length mu-mu type dresses to wear to and from the castle. They're very comfortable but also send the message that they are for lounging, um, I mean recuperating, not for working, lol!

I also have several dresses that are essentially long polo shirts. They are big, soft, baggy and comfy and I can wear them when people come to visit or I begin to go out to church and the like. I also have several baggy Ts and an old pair of sweats with streched out elastic if I get chilly.

Hope this helps the "Size 20+" club!
Unread 08-27-2004, 07:14 AM

I wore a pair of mens longer pants and bought some overly large underpants so that nothing would rub on the stomach. I just got home last night and immediately went into a large tee shirt nightee. The over sized unders allow for comfort and more mobilit not that I move around well but the comfort is much better.
I have my ice packs and they help allot. Make sure you have pads for any discharge you may have.
Good luck
Unread 08-27-2004, 08:02 AM
thanks!

All this is SO helpful...thanks gals! I am trying to "hurry up" and get all this set up...it's less than 2 weeks away and I'm making a list.

I was not sure that I could wear undies or loose cotton baggie shorts with elastic waistbands at all. Guess it's ok if the elastic is around my waist up high away from the incision.

I've got other "crucial questions" not addressed on the other boards, so I may be calling upon you again!

Ya'll are wonderful!!!!
Unread 08-27-2004, 02:52 PM

I wore the same clothes leaving the hospital that I went in with. The first two weeks I just wore my nightgown's around the house.

Tina
Unread 08-27-2004, 06:08 PM

I'm the same as Tina, just wore nightgowns and since I had very little discharge, I did not have to wear pads.
Unread 08-27-2004, 08:47 PM

At the castle they gave me mess undies. I wore those until I stopped bleeding. But one thing I did wear was a pad and placed the soft part over where my incision was. I had a binki cut so it was nice that the undies didn't rub against my incision. At first the one thought I was crazy but after seeing what I did and how I positioned it she said that it was a good idea. I mean hey what else was I suppose to do with all of those free pads. After I came home I lounged in my night-gown and undies, I think I took home about 4 pairs of the mess undies from the castle. I paid for them might as well take them home.

After a couple of weeks I did wear DH p.j. pants he's a large man (44 waist) and just rolled them down really low and wore really extra large shirts, during the day when I was home by myself I would raise up my shirt and let the air hit my incision. It made it feel better.

jane

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register