Terrified and want to back out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Terrified and want to back out Terrified and want to back out

Unread 12-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Terrified and want to back out

Last night as I laid in bed during yet another sleepless night, I thought this is not an emergency, I will not die without surgery, I feel okay right now. Now today, as I start my last visit with Aunt Flo and I feel shaky and like I want to vomit I know surgery is necessary for me to feel normal (whatever normal is!!!). How do you quell the nerves? Is anyone else feeling this way? Also who is scheduled for 12-27-04?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2004, 11:07 AM

I know what you mean!! I can't sleep, can't concentrate on work or Christmas stuff, am totally consumed! I think if you read some of the stories, tho...MANY ladies feel so much better and I see closings saying "it's the best thing I've ever done"...so hang in there. screw up your courage, and get it over with, I say. We'll be fine!! You have lots of sisters sending healing thoughts your way! I go the 17th, and am having the same anxiety--good luck, and look for the postive stories; there are many!:
Unread 12-02-2004, 11:22 AM

Think of it this way... What is life going to like without the hyst? Full of pain and bleeding!!!!!!!! I know that is not the way you want the rest of your life to be like. Have the surgery now and then you can start the rest of your life not having to worry about bleeding all the time. Let me tell you that I can't wait for my surgery (1/7)!!! What is life going to be like not having to carry tampons and pads around all the time cuz you never know when you are going to start? I don't know but I can't wait to find out. Hang in there and don't back out now, you have come so far already.

Good luck and I hope every thing goes very well.

Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2004, 11:27 AM

Several times prior to surgery I wanted to back out. Then I'd get my period or have more bloating episodes and decide to stick with it. I am very glad I did! It's only been a little over three weeks since I had my surgery, and the bloating is gone. I feel great! I only wish I'd had this surgery earlier.
Unread 12-02-2004, 11:58 AM

Hi Gin and others, just a note of support and comfort from someone just back from the castle. My TVH was Tues 11/30 at 3pm. I came home Wed nite 12/1 around 6. They took it all, uterus, cervix, ovaries and did rectocele repair. My doctor told me that my uterus was more than 3 times normal size and had 'tangerine sized fibroids'. As I sat in the surgical waiting area my only thought was "I can still just JUMP UP and RUN OUT of here..." Glad I didn't. We are all different, but I have had minimal everything: pain, bleeding, discomfort. I can walk around and made my own breakfast this morning. At this point in time I can say that I have had periods that flattened me more. Maybe it was the fact that the TVH caused no external incisions and my bladder was not involved, but I feel pretty darn good and it only hurts when I laugh. So, don't give up, waiting (and catastrophizing) is a pain, I agree. But you know, the 'other side' can be so worth it. J
Unread 12-02-2004, 12:06 PM

OMG!! I am so glad to hear you say that. My surgery is 1/5 and I feel exactly the same. People have said to me "don't you want to live to see your son grow up?" Yes I do, but even if I don't have the surgery I WILL LIVE. Mine is not life threatening either. Just the quality of life stinks.
And other than 3 days of massive bleeding and a slight period that lasts 3 weeks. I'm ok.
So, is it worth it??????
Unread 12-02-2004, 12:16 PM

I am 8 days away from my surgery-feel as if I may have a slight cold. I hope I am over it by next week or they will probably cancel the surgery. I will probably feel more nervous closer to time, but right now I just want to get it over with. I am lucky in that I do not have any horrible symptoms, I have a prolapsed uterus, and everything sagging.!!!
I trust that everything will go well for you, take courage that with modern medicine and techniques, you will be ok. Think to the future when you will be feeling so good and strong, and you will know that this was the best decision for you.
Unread 12-02-2004, 12:18 PM

Ladies. You are all sending such truth out and I am receiving it all.
Going to see my Dr on Monday to finalize THE DATE. I was 100% sure that this is the right thing and then the butterflies in my tummy started.......then the cramping started and right now my back is aching and I am bloating (my period is due on next Friday) my pain is a 5 heading for a 6. I agree that this is not how I want to live my life. I'm only 37. I want to have more than 2 weeks out of the month that is pain free.
I am praying for strength and peace of mind. I really believe you get what you ask for. Don't be afraid to ask and be as open to receive.

Cre
Unread 12-02-2004, 12:26 PM

Worth it to me, and I'm the queen of Thinking of All the Bad Things That Could Possibly Happen - filling out the durable power of attorney and living will directives was particularly intense. But hey, my DDIL reassured me that hospitals today are extremely well-equipped to SAVE lives and I decided that she was right. In any event, these surgeons do this routinely and generally are fairly expert at dealing with the possibilities. My DH keeps looking at me as I putter around the house this morning and says "I can't believe how well you are doing". Me neither. J - Age 57 and finally menopausal!
Unread 12-02-2004, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the support ladies. I know that it is for the best but sometimes I want to run and scream. I have never had an incision before. I have 3 kids and 2 jobs and am soooo worried about everyone but there are days when I am in such a foul mood that I don't care who's feelings I hurt. This website is really such a blessing. For information and for just sounding off. I know I won't backout especially today since I feel soooooo crappy and I know it will be worse tomorrow.

Everyone on the site is soooooo great!!!!

Thanks again!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register