Made it thru the pre op, surgery around the corner! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Made it thru the pre op, surgery around the corner! Made it thru the pre op, surgery around the corner!

Unread 02-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Made it thru the pre op, surgery around the corner!

Made it thru the pre op with flying colors. Only a blood draw and pee test, no xrays, yay! The 1st half was with my dr. to get the lowdown on what's happening. I'm having a TLH and will be going home the same day. If my ovaries are not diseased I can keep them. He said after a week I can drive and decide what I want to do about work, etc. Of course I'm not going back in a week! I can take a bath after a week and exercise. He warned I will be sore and to do everything in moderation. He's putting stents on my ureters when the surgery begins then taking them off at the end, said he doesn't do it that often but because of some of the stuff he's doing (I assume cleaning out endo) it's best. Anyone else ever had that?
Sounds like I'm gonna be one of the lucky ones (one can only hope) that recovers fast!!! I got all my scripts today too, have to take cipro and flagyl the morning of the surgery and gave me zofran in case I get nauseous that night, etc.
So, I'm all set and rarin' to go! But, I must say, while I was in the dr's office waiting for him to come in I got pretty scared and nauseous, I think it's finally hit what's going to happen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2006, 07:04 PM

Driving after a week OMG, good luck and make sure you check your insurance policy re: major surgery coverage. I know in the UK, some insurance companies have clauses regarding when you can drive again following this type of surgery. In regards to the stents, my surgeon inserted uroglow catheters (glow in the dark) into the ureters and removed them afterwards. I was told that this helps in preventing accidental damage to these delicate structures. Sounds horrible I know but I didn't have any after effects from it. I've been where you are now journeying and for me that was the worst part - it made me feel anxious and nauseous too. God bless and watch over you, i'm sure all will be well.
Unread 02-06-2006, 07:15 PM

Congratulations! It feels good to get through the pre-op. I know I was more at peace with everything once the pre-op was done. Best wishes for a great surgery and speedy recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2006, 08:17 PM

Getting through the pre-op procedures is one more hurdle.... congratulations for making it through.

and I wish you the best on your final preparations. Make sure you do something "just for you" these last few days!! Remember, you will soon be a .
Unread 02-07-2006, 05:49 AM

Thanks sisters! I'm actually starting to feel excited. Strange but true. I'm glad to hear someone else has heard of those stents, sounded weird to me but now I'm glad because they will be protected, I know I have endo on my ureters (was told in my last surgery) so I'm sure this dr. wants to be sure everything is safe and sound!
Unread 02-07-2006, 08:49 AM

One more hurdle for me too Andreah! I had my pre-op yesterday, and am glad it is over. After the blood draw and pee test, I went over to the hospital and had the x-ray and ekg. I wasn't expecting it, but was aware of it thru these postings, so thank you sisters!! I am having a TLH as well, and read there could be possible incontinence later and that the cervix kinda holds everything together. My Dr said not to worry, if I dont have it before the surgery, most likely I wont have it after the surgery. Any comments sisters?? I have one more hurdle today, and that is a breast biopsy. If all goes well with that one, my surgery will remain on the 16th. I find out the results of the biopsy on the 13th. I got my pre surgery night "goodies" at the Drs office as well as the scripts for pain and what everelse. I am going to fill those today, so one more thing to check off my list. Thank you ladies!!

sue
Unread 02-07-2006, 09:39 AM

Sue, I've done alot of reading and while I'm sure some women DO have problems after the cervix has been removed I have yet to read of many problems. Every person I have talked to (even the nurse that did my pre op yesterday) that had their cervix removed have not had any problems with incontinence, etc. I plan on doing kegal exercises once everything starts to heal to keep my muscles in good shape. I guess we won't know for sure until we're on the other side, I just try to think positive at this point! Good luck with your biopsy!
Unread 02-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Countdown to Feb 10th

hi andreah
well, our day is fast approaching. I am not sure how i am feeling. My bag is packed, very lightly after reading the postings here. What i find hard to understand is that i am also having a total 'hysterical me', but leaving the ovaries if they are healthy. yet i will be in hospital for 6 days, and then a nurse will visit me at home for the next 10 days. My house is spotless...no dust or dirty dishes in the sink.

Yesterday I had a day of grieving for my womb. I say this because I could not stop crying but really did not know why, so when my family asked me why, that is what i told them. Soon had them all laughing.

In reality, I cannot wait to get this over with. My problem is that I have to call the hospital in the morning and check whether there is a bed ready for me. If there is not, I will have to be reschudeled again. I sure hope this does not happen coz I could not bear to go through the womb grieving process again.

Andreah, I wish you God's blessings on your op. As soon as you can post again, please do so we know how it all went.
Unread 02-08-2006, 01:23 PM

Thanks for your reply Andreah - We can worry about all of the "what ifs" but wont do us abit of good. I plan on taking your advice on the kegals, and of course the positive thoughts! I wish you well on your surgery on Friday! I hope you are doing well! And Shesan I hope they have a bed for you, as it ***** getting worked up and anxious for the surgery and then to have it postponed. Good luck to you and will be thinking of you guys.

sue
Unread 02-08-2006, 04:12 PM

Hi shesan! I'm really starting to get nervous but think it's a good nervous! I haven't really cried yet or anything which is weird. I'm sure my moment will come. Mainly I'm trying to keep a stiff upper lip for my husband, I hate seeing a guy get upset, you know? I know he's worried about me and won't say but if he sees me crying he may break down himself! I didn't have to pack a bag because I'm going home the same day but got thinking I'd better pack a couple things and leave them in the car just in case. I'm definately bringing a pillow for my tummy! My mom is coming with us as well which brings me comfort.
No idea why you'd be in the hospital for 6 days? You must be having some extensive work done. Always listen to the dr! Are you have a TAH? I'm thankful I found a dr. that does it all laparoscopically! You've got to be nervous and apprehensive about having to call in the morning. That would make me crazy. I wish you all God's blessings as well. I'll be praying for all my sisters. I'm sure you'll hear from me tomorrow night...in between running to the potty (gosh I hate bowel preps!).
Sue, glad to hear you've let go of the what ifs and are on the postive thinking side! We're all scared and worried about what things will be like on the other side but I refuse to believe it will be worse. Hey, maybe we should start a kegal club!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register