Touring Castle July 2nd!!! LOLOL | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Touring Castle July 2nd!!! LOLOL Touring Castle July 2nd!!! LOLOL

Unread 06-12-2002, 06:01 AM
Touring Castle July 2nd!!! LOLOL

WOW! I am having a TAH BSO ( cervix included ) on July 2nd! I am so nervous! Could someone possibly tell me how long I will probably be in surgery? Like, is it a couple hours or so?? I have to be there 2 hrs prior for my PRE-OP testing. Don't laugh but Im more worried about having catheter put in, and I see alot of you talking about a Bowel Prep... what the heck is that?? LOL Oh boy,I am so nervous, but I think I already said that. hehe Anyhow if anyone could answer my questions I'd greatly appreciate it, thank you!!!!!
Be Blessed!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2002, 07:03 AM

ApacheTears,

I just had TAH/BSO on May 28. The bowel prep is no big deal. The day before surgery you just take a good bowel cleaner like Citrate of Magnesia in the morning and have bowel movements all day until there's nothing left. Feels kind of good to have your system all cleaned out. Then you can't eat or drink anything after midnight on the day of your surgery. They put the catheter in me after they gave me the anesthesia, so I didn't even know it. I had it in after awakening for a couple of days. You just have to tote the bag with you when you get up to walk. No problem. It really didn't hurt when they took it out and I was able to urinate immediately without a problem.

My surgery took less than two hours and I had grade 1/stage 1b endo cancer. I require no more treatment and my recovery, so far, has been uneventful. I know it's easy for me to say don't be nervous, but it's over with before you know it and each day is a little better. Good luck and God bless.
Unread 06-12-2002, 07:44 AM
Apache Tears

I had a TAH/BSO on May 2nd.
My surgery lasted 1 hour and 15 minutes.
The catheter was placed after I was asleep and removed along with the IV the following morning.
As far as bowel prep I used a Fleet enema the night before.
Your Doctor will be covering all this with you at Pre-Op.
Also keep in mind every Doctor is different, some have you do a bowel treatment, others don't.
Whichever you may have ( no bowel prep or you have a bowel prep to be done ) follow your Doctor wishes to the "T"
They have their reasons as to whether we do them or not!
And as always, if you have any questions never be afraid to give your Doctor a call and ask. That is what they are there for!!
s and s
Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2002, 07:46 AM

ApacheTears,

As each surgery is different pending any complications if they arise it's hard to tell you about how long you will be in the O.R. I would guess a couple of hours is about the norm. I had an uncomplicated TVH and my surgery was 1.5 hours.

As far as the bowel prep, some have to do it and some don't. It depends on if your doctor orders it or not. If he doesn't order, don't do one yourself. Follow your doctors instructions to the "T." You won't feel the foley catheter being put in, as you will be under anesthesia when they do it. As far as it being removed, you might feel a little discomfort but it's nothing aweful. Take a couple deep breaths when its being removed. Urinating the first time might sting, that's normal. You should not be in pain after removal, if you are.. let them know.

So, July 2nd is your castle date huh? Just in time to celebrate on July 4th. Of course you won't be able to do it in the normal fashion, but you can still celebrate.

Best Wishes to you and if you have anymore questions, don't be afraid to come and ask. WE are here for ya every step of the way.

s
Amy
Unread 06-12-2002, 07:47 AM

Hi, Welcome to Hystersisters, the best place on the net!!!!

Its normal to be nervous, if you wernt, we would be worried about you!

I had a TAH/BSO 3 weeks ago and I had to be at the castle prep room 2 hours before my surgery was scheduled too. They need that time to start your IV and other meds and you can talk to your doctors before hand too. You can tell them when you get there that you are nervous and they will give you something in your IV and you probably wont even remember going to the OR.
You will be in surgery approximately 2 hours, depending on what they need to do in your case. Some prep is done in the OR like getting the catheter put in and the pump stockings on your legs or feet, anesthesia and all that, then they start your proceedure. No need to worry cuz you will probably be asleep before you get in there.

Some of us sisters here have had to do a bowel prep. That is usually to help prevent cross infection incase you need bowel work or it gets nicked. Some have had to go on a liquid diet 2 days before and some have had to use enemas. I did the Golytely drink the day before my surgery. That is you drink about a gallon of salty solution, an 8oz glass every 10 minutes till the stuff is gone. This takes quite a while so you might wdant to set up your bathroom with the phone and a book or tv or radio.
Others got the Fleets enema. I dont know about that except that you have to drink less i think and it may not take quite as long to finish.

Ask your doc about all this. Have you had your pre-op appt. with them yet? Write down all the questions you can think of and take it with you whenever you get to see them.

I was probably a rare case but I was taken back to the OR at 12:30pm and out by 2:30pm, out of bed and walking by 10pm that same night. I was hardly in my room after that.

I had morphine and toridol in my IV pump for pain control while in the castle....best stuff but make sure they give you something good for pain control for when you get home. I only got motrin 800mg and Darvocet. NOT good choices for me. Not good pain control and it upset my stomach. I really only needed anything for the first few days home, after that I was getting better every day.

Anyway, the waiting is the hardest part. Once its over, you will be FREE!!!!!!!!
Dont do anything until your doc clears you to. Mine said no cooking or cleaning of any kind, no driving till I was totally off the pain meds and of course no sex till usually 6 weeks post op.

Rest, drink pleanty of fluids, walk....then do some more resting.

I know you will get through this with flying colors and you will look great in your new princess crown!
It is soooo cool to be on the other side! See you when you get here!

Hope I helped ya feel better!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register