my incision is not healing right..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

my incision is not healing right..... my incision is not healing right.....

Unread 04-16-2008, 02:22 PM
my incision is not healing right.....

Hi,

I am looking for sugestions as to what can I do so that my incision heals corretly because 4 of my stitches are open and have a small wound, the doctor looked at it and said to keep it dry and to put a gauze, which I am....the problem is

that I have a small "apron" (I've had 2 previous abdominal surgeries so I have like a dent) and my belly falls right on top of my incision so if doesnt "breath" . so to keep this dry, I have to lay in bed so that my belly is stretched out and keep it dry....have you ladies have this problem? how did you manage to keep dry your incision and still be able to walk around.....

any suggestions?

blessings,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2008, 02:59 PM

I had a similiar problem. I just had to lie down and hold it open to get the air there. Even after about 5 weeks when I started wearing pants and thought the incision was healed, I ended up with a rash. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Unread 04-16-2008, 03:18 PM

I have the same problem. I have been using the 4x4 squares of gauze. What I do is unfold 2 of the squares, stack them on top of each other and the roll them up. My "apron" of skin holds it in place and I change it out a few times a day. That has really seemed to help keep it clean and drier than without it. The problem is that since it's basically skin on skin our body oils and sweat collect in the area which keeps it moist. Obviously that's not helping matters. I hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2008, 04:24 PM

Jenn1175:
the doctor gave me the 4x4 squares, but I have difficulty keeping it in place, so I tried with a tape, but this irritates my skin around it, you say you roll two of them together (lenghtwise right?)

thank you for your great I will try it tonight and see how it goes, it doesnt fall out does it?

blessings,
Unread 04-16-2008, 05:11 PM

4hisglory,
Sorry, yes, it's lengthwise that I roll them together. It stays in place pretty well for me, I have a pretty big overhang of skin so I just tuck it in there pretty tight and it actually feels pretty good too. It helps keep the itchies at bay as the incision heals. I can't use any kind of tape at all. I have incredibly sensitive skin and the tape was literally ripping off pieces of skin when I would remove it. And that was after letting it soften up in the shower first. I can't even use regular band-aids without having some kind of irritation, now that's pretty sad. haha

Good luck, I hope it works for you by rolling up the gauze first, let me know how it goes!
Unread 04-18-2008, 06:55 AM

Jenn1175;

well I did roll up the gauze and it worked

thank you... by the way, my open stitch is getting better....
Unread 04-18-2008, 07:15 AM

I'm so glad it worked! It will definitely help your skin heal from all the trauma of using that horrible tape. Mine is already improving so much since I quit using the tape.

I'm so happy to hear you are doing better!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register