Trying not to be panicy! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Trying not to be panicy! Trying not to be panicy!

Unread 08-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Trying not to be panicy!

Has anyone heard about the recent report on heart problems in women who have had hysterectomies with ovaries taken out? Today was the first I had heard of it. The report said that women have their ovaries out for preventative reasons, so they don't get ovarian cancer later and they have more of a risk for heart problems. I guess I shouldn't worry about something that hasn't happened yet. If I did I wouldn't drive a car or cross the street for fear that I get run over.
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Trying not to be panicy!

i have read about that its not worth worrying about it
having the hyst does make us at a higer risk for heart disease and osteperosis but sometimes we have to make choices to better our health at the moment always eating right taking vitamins and getting exercise help prevent these risks and many others we just need to be good to our bodies....and take your calcium mag everday i learned its not only good for our bones but alos for anxiety it works like a natural tranq> good luck to you all
Unread 08-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Trying not to be panicy!

Debbie, I heard this info on the news this morning and was shocked! I haven't read much about it yet but will be looking for info since I am at high risk for heart problems due to family history / HBP / high cholesteral and so on. Kinda too late to get them darned ovaries back now!! But I want to be armed with all info to keep me heart healthy. And yes, manwhatever, I do take calcium / d, multi vits/minerals, exercise and eat a great diet. It helps and we do have to make decisions about our health. It is give and take
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Trying not to be panicy!

I didn't hear this "latest study", but I figure, you gotta do what ya gotta do? If we all needed our hysterectomies & if that meant taking our ovaries, so be it. I mean, there seems to always be some negative effect to anything we do in life anymore and you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what is best. I have to admit, I'm not preoccupied with worry about heart problems even though my Mom has a lot of heart issues and I have a heart murmur & small defect. I guess I just figure this is what I had to do at this point in my life and whatever will be, will be. There's only so much a person can do. I try to take care of myself, eat good, healthy foods and let the pieces fall where they may. We only have so much control of our lives, the rest is out of our hands... that's my long- winded take care! zanylynn
Unread 08-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Trying not to be panicy!

Well, Zanylynn...you took the words right out of my mouth!

I agree, don't borrow trouble. We are dealt a hand of cards, we play them, and hope for the best. I too have heart problems in my family history, among other things. But, I can't sit and worry about what *might* happen to me. I have to do what is best for me and my body at the moment, and take it as it comes.

Ladies, if we worry about every little thing, we will go stark raving mad! It's just not worth it. Live your life and be happy! Take it one day at a time.

Life is good!
Unread 08-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Trying not to be panicy!

I'm not worrying about it..we're all going to die eventually, i'm not going to spend whatever time I have on earth stressing myself out over a heartattack...that'll just make it come that much faster. As long as you take care of yourself, and do what you're supposed to do, it's in God's hands after that, if he wants you, there isn't anything you can do to stop it. Just eat right, exercise, take your vitamins/minerals, keep your DR's visits and if you feel something funny going on..get checked out... you should be fine.
Hugz
Bernadette
Unread 08-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Trying not to be panicy!

My friend is a nurse and she said that HRT is also tied to heart disease, so you're messed up if you do and messed up if you don't!!! The best things you can do to prevent heart disease are to eat right, exercise regularly, get your doctor for checkups, and avoid tobacco.
Unread 08-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Trying not to be panicy!

It is true we are at higher risk of heart disease and osteoporosis without our ovaries and the natural hormones they provide. HRT use also carries the risk of heart disease and increased risk of breast cancer. The way I rationalized it, leaving the ovaries you are at increased risk of ovarian cancer and the only symptoms you would have early on would be a change in menstrual periods. If I am not having periods, how will I know? Survival rate of ovarian cancer is lower than that of breast cancer. If I am diligent about monthly self breast exams, mammograms and watch my diet and excercise I have done all that I can to try to stay healthy and the rest is in God's hands.

TAH BSO and Anterior and Posterior repair
Unread 08-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Trying not to be panicy!

I agree with you all!! Besides in a few years they will publish new results that will be contrary to this opinion anyway!! We all did what was best for us, end of story!
Unread 08-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Trying not to be panicy!

Pyung Ahn, Years ago it was eggs are bad for cholesterol so don't eat them, and now we can eat them in moderation. You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! Go to sleep, wake up tomorrow and it'll be different!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register