If it hurts, don't do it! Huh? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

If it hurts, don't do it! Huh? If it hurts, don't do it! Huh?

Unread 09-15-2005, 07:35 AM
If it hurts, don't do it! Huh?

I have a slight dilema. I am 3 weeks post-op today. I am not clear about doing certain things - like vacuuming, sweeping, laundry, dishes, etc. I was told by my doctor, "If it hurts, don't do it." Seems so simple, right? I can and have done all of those things at least once (I KNOW,I KNOW, I'M BAD) It didn't hurt. I was uncomfortable bending down to pick up rugs and moving dining chairs out of the way, but I was very careful not to reach or bend in places I knew would be too much. If it doesn't hurt, does that mean I can do it? What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2005, 07:37 AM

I think you are very early post surgery to be moving chairs. My doc said 8 weeks before I was to resume normal activites. Take the time your body needs to heal, we only get one chance........
hugs
snickers
Unread 09-15-2005, 07:52 AM

My doc said 6weeks and then I could get back to exercizing. But I'm doing all those things you mentioned and I am almost four weeks post-op. If there is nobody around to do things for me I just do them myself. Besides, everyone else is so busy with their own stuff.
I'll yell at you for you and maybe you can yell at me for me!
STOP IT! GO LIE DOWN! IT CAN WAIT!
There. I said it.
Heal well...
Kathryn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2005, 08:01 AM

Just stop it and sit down, the housework will still be there when you are stronger. You are still very early in your recovery and need time to heal properly.You shouldn't be hoovering or mopping this early on and thats an order!
's

Hazel.
Unread 09-15-2005, 08:09 AM

Get your butt back on that couch lady!!!!!! I am 3 weeks and doing laundry (kids carry it up and down) straightening up, light sweeping, but no way am I vacuming, moving chairs no lifting pulling or pushing! I was too active week 1-2 now I have a hematoma!!!!! Please take it slower.
Unread 09-15-2005, 08:16 AM

The only thing my doctor said was no sex and no heavy lifting. He said I could start driving at 2 weeks post op. But that was only after I asked him about driving.

My doctor is great but if I don't ask questions he isn't too forthcoming with instructions on how I should be proceding with my normal activities.
Unread 09-15-2005, 08:59 AM

My list of instructions were clear - but vague, at least they seem vague after reading so many warnings from all my hyster sisters:

After discharge from hospital: no lifting over 10#, stairs to a minimum, no bath and no driving until 2 weeks, no sex until okayed from doctor at post-op appointment, walk, eat healthy, drink water, etc. I was given the basic things to look out for (drainage, redness, fever.) There were no other physical limitations set for me except: if it hurts, don't do it.
Unread 09-15-2005, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSLW
If there is nobody around to do things for me I just do them myself. Besides, everyone else is so busy with their own stuff.
I'll yell at you for you and maybe you can yell at me for me!
STOP IT! GO LIE DOWN! IT CAN WAIT!
There. I said it.
Heal well...
Kathryn
I right there with you. I can't constantly expect people to do things for me all the time. I'm not like that. I get depressed sitting around watching other people do what I am supposed to be doing. I'm not being a martyr, I really and truly am not. I just hate feeling so incompetent!

I do tell myself that most things can wait, but when I see something that needs to be done and no one else does it, I do it. I think I know when too much is too much. I don't know.
Unread 09-15-2005, 09:34 AM

I have heard that from my doctors also.

My post op instructions were as follows.

No sex for 6wks, no driving for 2wks, no baths until 2 wks, lift nothing over 20 lbs, light household duties, avoid bending and lifting. no vaccuming for 6wks (I have done once, didnt hurt and didnt pay noticibly for it either) I have been walking alot since I had my catheter out. They told me walk walk walk, its great for you. Just take it slow and easy and stand up straight. Yesterday (im 4wks post op today) I walked to the store and back with my son. I did get a bit tired and had to go slow, but it went really well.

as for the "if it hurts dont do it" I CANT follow this. Because I have done things that dont hurt and I DO pay for it later. So I stick with my release info for the most part.
Unread 09-15-2005, 10:15 AM

Did you know that if you vacuum too early that your uterus could grow back?

I think that could apply to anything.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register