New here, considering partial hysterectomy | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here, considering partial hysterectomy New here, considering partial hysterectomy

Unread 09-09-2001, 08:48 AM
New here, considering partial hysterectomy

Hi all:

So glad I found this board. Here is my story, please let me know if anyone else has some similiar problems.

I have been having bleeding between periods for over 4 yrs, since I had my tubal, and at times it is quite heavy. I hemmoraged after each of my children was born, right after delivery and two weeks later, not sure why that happened.

For about three years, I have had itchiness before my period, severe back pain, severe cramping, and you can imagine the amount of PMS symptoms I have having my period twice a month.
I literally have the same symptoms twice a month!!!

There is something else that has been happening that has me perplexed: I am getting large cystic acne lesions on my buttocks and groin area, I have to have one removed from my leg on the 17th. My ob/gyn feels that if I have a partial hysterectomy that will help reduce or get rid of those cysts. But I feel they are hormonally related, since I get them two days or the day of my period. They never have a chance to heal, because my hormones never get back to normal for very long. If we leave my ovaries, I will still be producing hormones..will I still have PMS but no bleeding? Will my hormones get "normal" until menopause?

My mom had to have an emergency partial hyst when she was 40, and because she was anemic it took her about a year to recover, so needless to say the dr doesn't want to wait until I am anemic, nor do I.

One other thing, I know that your cervix can be saved if there is nothing wrong with it, but my dr seems to feel that the itching before my period mean there is something wrong with my cervix.

I am still waiting for the lab reports, but the dr didn't see any
endo.

I truly trust this dr, I have seen two or three other ob/gyn's in the last three years, this dr. delivered my last baby and did my tubal. But since then I have been bouncing around to other gyn's, who have told me the only thing that I could do forthe bleeding (which is not the only reason I was seeing them) was to take the pill, even though that fails in two months. They never addressed the pain in my lower back..never told my I had prolaspe, never told me I was tipped again. He told me all this at the time of my exam. I totally forgot to mention the itching, and he aske me!! He also asked about other symptoms that I didn't think were related.. so I am confident in his diagnostic skills as do alot of other people around here since he is so hard to get into see. He even asked about my sister's history and my mom's.

I do have some options, but at this point, I just want the pain to go away and the bleeding to go away!!!

How can I find more information on cervical problems???
How can I find more information on partial hysterectomy?

He said he wouldn't have to do an open hysterectomy, so I know I won't have as long a recovery, but I haven't been able to talk to anyone that hasn't had an open.

Has anyone had a partial hyster?

Thanks and take care, looking forward to talking to everyone.

Anna

PS I will not do the Lupron, I don't have alot of fibroids or polyps just enough to make me bleed twice a month and cause back pain and bloating and cramping twice a month!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2001, 11:02 AM

Hi annar, wow! you have alot going on best of luck to you. You mentioned some cysts in your groin area. I also get some strange large cyst like growths in my groin area. I've never had them diagnosed because I always forget to discuss them w/ my doctor with everything else that is going on. They are always very painful and take a few days to go away. They show up in various areas usually around the panty lines where my underwear rub. Even after the swelling goes down there is a hard spot and usually dark bruising like discoloration that never goes away. Sometimes they get so big that a large blood blister forms. Does this sound like what you're experiencing? and if so what did you Dr. tell you about them? Thanks, Kelleen
Unread 09-09-2001, 11:43 AM
Cysts

Hi Kelleen:

I have had these on and off since I was 18. I always went to a dermatologist or a surgeon for these. Mine can get so bad that they have to be removed, because they never heal, they just keep weeping, usually I have to have them opened atleast to drain them. This is the first one I have had to get removed in a couple of years. But since my periods have been coming twice a month, I am getting these and they aren't healing. Mine are on the insides of my legs, but I can get them high up on my buttocks.
Not always around my pantie lines.

The dr's havetold me not to shave with a close razor, this has helped, I use a razor with two blades instead of three. I have also been told this is folliculitis (bacteria in the skin, reacts when cut and forms these cysts). I was put on med's but they made them worse, as does the birth control pill, I happen to fall into the 1 percent of people that react that way.

Sounds like you have the same thing..could be related to hormones as acne is. I know when I had my kids I always new when I was pregnant or about to go into labor, I would get these painful cysts right on the inside of my legs, they would go away about a month after I had my kids.

Yes, I also have some purple spots.

Anna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2001, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the info. My family Dr. said one time that they might be a follicle infection of some kind and prescribed a huge supply of antibiotics but I never got to try them because I was diagnosed w/ thyroid disease right after that and my endocrinologist took me off all meds while he was treating me. The shaving advice from your Dr. surprised me, I've been afraid to shave for fear of making things worse. Maybe I don't have to be all hairy after all! Thanks again! Kelleen
Unread 09-16-2001, 09:39 AM

Dear Anna,

In regards to the term *partial hysterectomy*, which parts does your doc want to remove? It sounds like you have troubles with your hormones (ovaries), and your doc is concerned about your cervix. And the fibroids are inside your uterus, and prolapse is the uterus falling out of place.

It sounds like your doc is advising a vaginal hysterectomy removing the uterus & cervix (possibly ovaries?). Keep reading & asking questions of your doc.

Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

Sending cyberhugs

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register