Weight loss | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Weight loss

Hi sisters! I had my TAH on 12/1. My recovery has gone okay, had some regression after a bad episode of vertigo. I have a question about weight loss. I've lost 8 pounds since my surgery on 12/1. I'm not overweight, I was weighing pre-op right in the middle of my ideal weight. I am now under my ideal weight. I am eating, probably not as much as usual, but still eating decently. My appetite is not huge, but I do make myself eat. I am very tired, but that is no different than the beginning of my recovery. I saw my doctor yesterday for my first post op, and she suggested that I drink Ensure shakes (yuck, no thanks) and take a prenatal vitamin (can't take the iron). Do you have any suggestions? I'm going back to work on Monday, just for 6 hours a day this first week. I'm interested to know if anyone else has experienced this. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad about the weight loss, but it's definitely not normal for me, and my doctor didn't seem to concerned. Thanks, in advance!
TAH 12/1/09
Kept ovaries and tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Re: Weight loss

Hi earlady,

I had a TAH on the 11.25.09 (kept ovaries too) and had lost a couple of pounds before I went in for surgery due to stressing myself out about the op. I've also lost another 6 pounds since surgery, but I wasn't worried about it as I was eating much smaller meals than usual even though I'm not doing any exercise at the moment.

I'm on iron tablets as doctor told me to take them for a month after surgery. I feel tired, but I think that's more due to the recovery process and insomnia.

No suggestions I'm afraid, but it does sound like you're going back to work too early. Haven't you been told to wait until 6 weeks after surgery? 6 hours a day still sounds a lot to me, couldn't you build it up more gradually? If you're feeling tired now it might get worse once you go back to work.
Unread 12-31-2009, 05:08 PM

Well......my doctor said she wants me to wait for 6 weeks, but I promised her I won't see patients, I'll just sit at my desk and do paperwork. If it's too much, I won't do it. I just want to try, as I am making a job change 3/1 and feel bad for not going back to let my boss know I'm leaving. Make sense?

Glad to know I'm not the only one losing weight. Maybe it's not a big deal and I should just be happy to be under 120 lbs for the first time in 20 years?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2009, 05:55 PM

I had a TVH on the 4th and I lost weight (about 12lbs) which wasn't good at all since I only weighed about 112 before the surgery. I am taking prenatal vitamins and drinking Ensure and Boost. They do have some pretty good flavors (like butter pecan) and if you make sure they are cold it's not so bad. I can say that I feel a lot better after starting the Ensure and vitamins. The vitamins can also increase your appetite.
Unread 12-31-2009, 06:04 PM

Maybe protein shakes are a better option than Ensure. Try buying some protein powder and mixing it with fruit and ice...you can make a smoothis type thing. I drink those everyday. 1 scoop vanilla protein with strawberries, banana and some ice...YUMMY! Great alternative to the Ensure. Or you can just mix it with water or milk, but that's rpetty similar to the Ensure taste. You can find all kinds of recipes online for protein powder shakes. You can get the protein powder at Walmart or GNC has a variety or kinds.
Unread 12-31-2009, 06:32 PM

I had gained a lot of weight before my surgery, and I have lost some after now. I think that the endo was making me gain weight, and my belly was as big as a pregnant lady!!!!! I would just keep trying to eat healthy, and more smaller meals? I am hardly eating at all now, really wasn't eating a lot before either though.
Unread 12-31-2009, 07:02 PM

I hope I lose some weight. My inactivity from my back and front thigh hurting has not helped me. Guess I will have to keep a check on that. I am trying to eat healthy also. I don't have much of an appetite for eating right now either.

I have used the Protein Shakes from a health food store in the past. I use water and put in almond extract with the chocolate powder. I have also used strawberries in the shakes too. My one grown son uses the the GNC protein powder to make shakes all the time. (He adds banana and peanut butter to his). Guess I will have to get back to doing them also.
Unread 01-01-2010, 12:16 AM

I am back to drinking 3 cups of Spearole tea everyday.... it help me lose 11 kilo before my Op....... Weight is going up and down something chronic atm but guess its due to the "Silly Season" so now its over hopefully things can get back to normal......... lol
Unread 01-05-2010, 01:07 PM

I am 2 weeks ish post op and i have lost weight... I gained a "lot" of weight over the past year.. I am eating normal.. and my hubby has noticed over these weeks i have thinned out.. I like another blame my UTERUS for my weight gain.. and I am praising it for the loss too... but I guess, if their isn't the extra to lose, that's not good, heath food stores have people that can point you in the direction of weight gainers.. but i wouldn't jump right into drinking that stuff, the weight loss may be very temporary...

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register