seroma post op | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

seroma post op seroma post op

Unread 08-10-2010, 10:54 PM
seroma post op

hello everone ive had my hysterectomy july 13 2010 and on august 4th ive noticed alot of clear watery fluid coming out i went to the emergency room and they told me it was a seroma and said its normal after surgery but im not sure today i had a ct scan but im not sure if this is a serious issue or not im wondering if this is common should i be worried about this or is this truly normal and will this stop eventually i would appreciate any feedback thanks

eloina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Re: seroma post op

I'm not positive what a seroma is. I think is is some sort of fluid filled sac that can develope after surgery. You could google it to get more information. I have been battling the vaginal discharge/seems like peeing off and on. Not too bad. I would advise talking to you doc though.
Hang in there. This is what this site is all about.
Unread 08-11-2010, 07:28 AM

I had a seroma as well. It was a very small opening and is completely healed now. The trick is to get it to heal from the inside, and not have the skin heal over the outside, thus trapping fluid in.
Did the er show you how to pack it to drain it and how to care for it to heal correctly?
My dr had me go to a wound clinic. They are the experts at this type of thing. They showed me what to do and what to check for and I had a couple follow up appts with them to keep an eye on it.
Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2010, 09:49 AM

Hi,

I have had a seroma in the past due to breast surgery. From what my doctor said they are so what common after surgery. The thing that really sucks about them is that you just have to wait for them to heal. Some times is takes weeks! Depending on how big it is you might end up getting a drain put in to remove the fluid. During this time it is going to be very important to keep that area very clean! You do not want it to get infected. It is also important to not do to much because to much activity can cause it to create more fluid. I hope this post will help you! Good Luck!!
Unread 08-11-2010, 09:58 AM

eloinag,

What type of hyst did you have? I had a total lap hyst (TLH) on 07/09 and developed a seroma at the vaginal cuff a few days later. I started running a fever and went in to my doc and found out about the seroma. It started draining after that visit. I also had a CT scan to be certain no other fluid sacs were in the pelvic area. Seromas can develop at an abdominal incision or, in my case, internally. Hang in there.....things are bound to get better.
Unread 08-11-2010, 05:15 PM

thank you for your comment, it makes me feel much better. Im just concerned that if im losing that much water what can i do to replenish my fluids in my body? I had a full hyst but i kept my ovaries. I developed my seoma about three weeks later. how long did yours last?
Unread 08-11-2010, 06:43 PM

thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my post
Unread 08-11-2010, 06:55 PM

Eloinag, when I went for my last post op visit on 08/03, it had drained significantly and was clearing. I still have a very slight pink-tinged drainage, but nothing like it was early on. There were times I'd sit on the toilet and hear it dripping into the toilet. I have not had to wear a pad for a little over a week, as it is decreasing and not getting on panties.
Unread 08-12-2010, 06:17 AM

Drink pleny of water to replenish your fluids.
Mine started at the inscision a little over a week post-op. I packed and bandaged it as directed and it was healed correctly a week later.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register