Omg quit smoking? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Omg quit smoking? Omg quit smoking?

Unread 08-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Omg quit smoking?

my hysterectomy is friday and i cant quit smoking i am way to nervous, there is no way i can do it but i have cut down. im afraid of dying. has anyone else done the surgery and didnt quit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Re: Omg quit smoking?

My doctor has never said specifically to quit smoking. I am down to 5-6 a day though, in anticipation of being in the hospital and not able to smoke while in. I have bought the nicotine patch to wear while in the hospital. I haven't talked to my doctor about it yet, but will do so Thursday. I would say talk to your doctor and see what the doctor advises. I'm like you and way too nervous to quit entirely. Will definitely not smoke the morning of my surgery (putting on the patch as soon as I'm done showering). I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. I'm following you on Aug. 31.
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:56 PM

Mine didn't tell me I had to quit, but he did tell me that I couldn't smoke at all the day of the surgery. I smoked my last cigarette around 8 pm on the 16th, my surgery was on the 17th. I didn't have any complications or negative issues as a result of smoking the day before. However, I have not had a cigarette since the 16th. With all the anesthesia during the surgery and pain meds since, I just haven't had the desire or urge to smoke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2010, 11:02 PM

When my surgeon asked me if I smoked I said yes but I'm trying to quit. He said aren't we all!!!!

Anyway, the last thing I did before going into the hospital was have a cigarette and I thought I would be able to quit then.

One of my nurses asked me the day after surgery if there was anything I wanted and I said a cigarette. She actually gave me one and a hospital volunteer took me out to the smoking section in a wheel chair. That one held me until my family got there and they were able to take me out!!!

I know I should not be smoking but I find that I am calmer when I do. I am one of those weird people that smoking actually lowers my BP. If I stopped now, my already high BP would be through the roof!!!

Good luck with your surgery!!

Hugs,
Suzanne
Unread 08-23-2010, 11:03 PM

Hi there,
I've had two abdominal surgeries, and I didn't quit before either of them. You won't get to smoke until probably the day after.My hospital also had a policy that I couldn't go down to the smoking area by myself, so at night I was at the mercy of a security guard that also smoked, so when she came by, she wheeled me down, LOL.

When my husband went thru his cancer treatment these past 7 months, I knew I was going to need the smokes, so I did. I also promised myself that once we came thru this, I would "requit" and I did. I'm on day 20 smoke free, and my surgery is in another 2 weeks.

Other than illegal drugs and massive amounts of alcohol, smoke as you like. About the withdrawal symptoms in the hospital, depending on the type of hysterectomy you get, you won't really feel like smoking anyways.

Good luck to you and speedy recovery ;-)

Becky
Unread 08-24-2010, 05:45 AM

My doctor tole me she wouldnt ask me to quit smoking because she didnt want to add to the stress involved leading up to the hysterectomy. I smoked right up to the time of walking into the castle on the morning of my surgery.

I had worried about being a smoker and going under anesthesia, etc. I had no trouble at all. I didnt even have the sore throat associated with the breathing rube inserted during the prodecure. I developed no congestion afterward either.

As far as craving a cig while your in the castle.... I never did. They offeredto place a nicotine patch on me for my stay there but I didnt even want that. I am not a light smoker either! I smoke a pack to a pack & half a day.

Its always best to quit.... but not always possible.
Unread 08-24-2010, 05:52 AM

I smoke too - had hoped to quit, but just couldn't. So much going on at work and with the pending surgery - I know, just excuses! BUT, I did semi quit a few weeks ago - bought one of those e-cigarettes - liquid nicotine that vaporizes and you inhale and exhale. Looks like smoke, sort of tastes better (they have flavors and I love blueberry). I got down to 5 or less a day and then last Thursday, right back up to a pack a day. I am taking the ecig with me to the castle. They said I probably could use it - no flame - just a battery operated thingy. My plan is to quit completely after surgery. I finally WANT to quit, no longer just "need to", you know what I mean? If you're interested in checking the ecig out -google e-cigarette forums and you can read all about them. My other two friends have quit completely after more than 20 yrs of smoking and only 'vape' now. They feel so much better!

Just a suggestion. Best wishes to you all on speedy recoveries and quitting, if you so choose!
Unread 08-24-2010, 06:29 AM

I have been struggling with this issue also. I am a moderate smoker I guess 1/2 to 3/4 of a pack most days but for over 30 years. I am in the medical profession and know that I should quit smoking and all of the health reasons why, including anesthesia. However, as a person who smokes I also know all of the reason I don't quit, including it would be miserable for me and all within a forty yard radius ... LOL. My surgery is in sixteen days and the closer it gets it seems the more I smoke. I have just come to believe the anxiety of trying not to smoke makes me want to smoke more and is harder on me than I imagine the effects of having smoked post-op will be. I have had general anesthesia three times now, twice in emergency situation and my lungs have made it through just fine. Of course it is always better to quit smoking anytime you can, not just before surgery but, sometimes you just can't and the effects of the stress of trying not to smoke coupled with the physical withdrawl from the nicotine can be harder on you than the smoking is.
{Just one smokers personal opinion}
Unread 08-24-2010, 11:13 AM

I've been told to quit by my doctor before my surgery next month, but I too know what you mean about smoking more. When I had my laparoscopy,etc two months ago, I smoked way....more than normal and it was all related to nerves. That however, caused some minor alarms to go off in recovery.... This time I am going to try to quit a few days prior or at least cut down, but I am not sure my nerves will be able to take it.
Unread 08-30-2010, 08:32 PM

I quit about two weeks ago. I had been put on birth control recently and between the hormones and smoking, I got a blood clot in my lung. Obviously, I was one of the lucky few to get to the hospital on time. I have not had one since the day I was taken to emergency. I still get the urge, but then I remember that is part of what almost killed me and i no longer want one.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register