finally decided to do it | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

finally decided to do it finally decided to do it

Unread 05-01-2004, 05:44 AM
finally decided to do it

I saw my dr. 3 weeks ago and he found numerous fibroids-one the size of a 12-week fetus-and a cyst on my left ovary. he left the decision up to me. I made an appointment yesterday to talk to him and set up a date for surgery. I'm sick of the pain and heavy bleeding. I'm so nervous and cry so easy at everything. I'm so glad I found this site. My mom had a hysterectomy at about this same age(I'm 45). About 2 weeks after surgery, she had major blood clots, so I'm very worried about that. I'm making a long lists of questions to talk to my dr. about, any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2004, 06:53 AM
finally decided to do it

Hi, welcome to Hystersisters, a great place for hyst related info and support.

There's a great list of pre op questions in the pre op articles here click here

Best wishes, please let us know what you decide.

s
Unread 05-01-2004, 09:29 AM
the big decision

I understand how hard it is to make the decision. Major surgey or live with the pain? I tend to be proactive about my health issues and so I think having the surgery is a great decision! I bled for pretty much about two years before the surgery, sometimes so much I thought I busted a gut! But, I also had a d&c, and other treatments, and thought I should keep going with other treatments, perhaps I was being to drastic deciding on surgery. Maybe I should try changing my diet,vitamins, or other noninvasive things, and so on. Many girlfriend would boo-hoo a hyst and seem to think I was overreacting based on their own experiences. Others said it was the best thing they ever did. I tended not to look at bleeding as being "too" sick, becaue I could still go about my normal life. A good doctor friend of mine finally pointed out that the pain and bleeding was debilitating, affected me and others who had to live with me, and so surgery was not too drastic of a move. I am one week post-op, and feeling great. Best of luck,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Crying is normal

Do not worry. Crying is very normal. Actualy I got worried and angry too.

I cried because I could not understand how it could happen to me. I said Why ME??????????? forever. When my Dr. told me I needed a hyst, it was the WORST personal moment (besides deaths in the family) of my life.

I worried because I had fibroid(s) the same size as you. I did not know if I should wait or have an immediate hsyt. Actually my first Dr. suggested a TAH only and I changed Drs and had a laparascopic procedure w/ estrogen blocking shots instead. I was a candidate.

And - I was REALLY angry because why did my Dr. not see this sooner. I had a normal exam in the fall 2002 and then fall 2003 - big fibroids. I could not understand it. I think in my heart the fibroids started growing and they were overlooked in 2002. I had fast growing fibroids. Some women have fibroids that stay the same size or grow slowly.

And with a cyst also ?? Does not sound like the end of the world. It probably feels like it though. But...it isn't.

As far as clots?? Did not have those. Also - when did your mom have her hyst?? There has been SO much advancement just in the last ten years.

Just hang in there. Check all the info. on a TAH, LAVH or a LSH. You can find links on this site. Everyone is different.

Good Luck. You WILL get through it. It is tough but all Hyster Sisters have an inner strength. YOU HAVE IT TOO!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register