How much bleeding is normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much bleeding is normal? How much bleeding is normal?

Unread 03-12-2005, 09:40 AM
How much bleeding is normal?

Hi...

I had an LSH 6 months ago, and then 10 days ago I had my cervix removed.

I haven't come across anyone here who's had a trachelectomy (removal of cervix), so I'm just figuring that this would be similar to an LAVH. I've now got the cuff--but my uterus was gone already.

I'm bleeding like a pretty heavy period. Bright pink blood all the time. The doc said I would have some "spotting." I'm also having trouble peeing. I called doc yesterday afternoon, but didn't get a call back, and now it's the weekend. I'm trying to figure our if I should bother him at home or not. Does this sound typical to you LAVH girls?

Also, I still have quite a bit of pain and am taking vicodin. My DH leaves on Monday for a 5 day business trip and I've got a 4 and 5 year old. I'll be OK during the day, because they can be in kindergarten and then daycare for most of the day. But I haven't driven yet, which I'll have to start doing. And I'll have to do the bedtime routine by myself.

Unfortunately, we don't have much of a support system of friends and family. I'll be able to get some help from a sitter for a couple evenings, but, frankly I'm getting scared!

The doc lead me to believe I'd be back to my old self in a few days. ????? I was in surgery for 3 hours and also had a bladder repair and some endo removed.

Thoughts? Thanks everyone !

Margot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2005, 09:46 AM

Hi,

If you're bleeding heavily or bright red, like a period, I would either call your doctor again or go to the ER. You should just be having light spotting, not heavy bleeding.

Hope everything is okay! Let us know what you find out.

s,

Lisa
Unread 03-12-2005, 09:51 AM

Me again...

Yikes! I just passed a giant clot and now have dark red blood. Shashi, I'll put in a call to my doc right now. I just need your support in the meantime. I will let you know what he says.

Thanks!

Margot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2005, 09:54 AM

That definitely needs to be checked out!!! Might be nothing major, just old blood passing, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Big s and many prayers,

Lisa
Unread 03-12-2005, 10:32 AM

Hi...

Spoke to doc. He said that the sutures usually dissolve between 4 and 7 days, and perhaps mine have dissovled too quickly.

He is going to see me at his office at 1:00. He said he may have to put in a stitch or some silver nitrate.

This works out well for me! The office is over an hour away, and I hadn't figured out how I was going to get myself to the 2 week post-op on Tues. Hopefully this will take the place of that appt.

Thanks, Lisa

Margot
Unread 03-12-2005, 05:51 PM

Reporting in...

My doctor is *so* sweet. He came in the office to see just me and he had his wife and kids there. His kids played with my kids....He played with my kids....It's so nice because I went through a really bad experience with the LSH 6 months ago, with an awful doctor. Traveling a bit to see this doc is totally worth it.

So...my cuff is fine, but I had granulation on the incision from my bladder repair. He put on some silver nitrate and said that other than that I was healing well. I told him I thought I'd be feeling better by now and he said "Come on, Margot...we did 3 surgeries on you at once and we were in there tugging and biopsying for 3 hours!" I told him that I'd thought he'd said I'd feel better in just a few days before the surgery. He said "Well, I always *hope* that will be the case...."

So, I'm feeling better physically and emotionally. And I get to delay my 2 week post op to 3 weeks, so I'm sure I'll be up to driving by then. Seems like this whole event was a blessing in disguise.

Thanks again, Lisa!

Margot

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register