no appetite - anyone else? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

no appetite - anyone else? no appetite - anyone else?

Unread 10-28-2008, 03:23 PM
no appetite - anyone else?

My appetite has been low before the surgery and now after the surgery it's even lower. Nothing sounds good and I have no desire to fix anything for me. I'd just rather not eat or drink for that matter. I do because I know I have to but it takes me forever to find something.

Sue Huls
TVH w/vavult and suspension with TVT sling Oct 7, 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2008, 03:55 PM

I also have been having eating/gastro problems - my GYN had me convinced that it's all in my head - she told me I was just being anxious. I actually made an appointment with a shrink since the GYN acted so disgusted that I would think this has anything to do with the surgery. I cancelled the appointment after being particularly sick one day. I did end up with a CT scan with contrast and nothing was structurally wrong. I think in my case it was just that my insides didn't appreciate being handled and rearranged and what ever they do to them while they're in there. My pelvic organs were all inflamed too. On top of all that I had a UTI. Things have improved since I started on antibiotics. I still have gastro problems although my appetite has improved. I had lost 24.5 lbs. I've gained a couple back, but have added an hour of walking to my routine so as not to gain any more weight back. I've only added a light lunch (unflavored nonfat yogurt and fruit), and occasionally an egg to my diet, but my metabolism must be just about nil from not eating for so long. I have also noticed the smell/taste differences in foods and have nausea, especially in the mornings. Very strange! The final insult has to be that chocolate tastes gross!! I tried some yesterday and spit it out......
Hope all turns out well for you girls. Hopefully this all will pass soon. As someone said on one of the other threads - this is just a bump in the road.
Cheers,
Katie
Unread 10-28-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bether
I too am at 6 weeks post op this week. I lost between 10-15 lbs. since my hyster, which was a TVH with a bladder sling, the good type I can tolerate soups, jello, puddings, oatmeal...soft foods such as these and only once, maybe twice a day. And foods that I enjoyed previously smell and taste nasty. I am seeing my gyno tomorrow, October 28. I am going to ask her about this phenomenon, among other things, like why am I still spotting...

Well, I dutifully went to my 6 week check-up. I was given silver-nitrate for a bit of a spotting and cramping problem. I did ask my gyno/surgeon about the appetite issue that we are all having. I expected her to say, as she did to all of my other questions, "Oh, sure that's normal.", but she didn't, she looked very puzzled and had me repeat the question, which I did. She shrugged her shoulders and said, "perhaps general anesthesia?" ...So there you go ladies...no help whatsoever! If any of you beautiful hystersisters get a better answer, please let us know!

Bether
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2008, 04:30 PM

I can only hope this happens to me Tomorrow will be one week post-op

I had a pretty good appetite at first but admit it's been dwindling as the days go on. My dad even brought me a piece of Pumpkin Cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory Sunday night (my absolute FAVORITE) and it's still in the fridge, box unopened.
Unread 10-28-2008, 04:49 PM

Well I am 3 weeks post op TVH and I've lost 8 pounds. I could stand to
lose alot more. Since op I find I am just not hungry and I only eat
about half as much as I did before. My since of taste is off and some food
just down right stinks. If I over eat I get cramps and gas also.
Maybe it's the HRT? I plan on asking the Doc at my 6 weeks. It's not
like I'll waste away to nothing.
Unread 10-28-2008, 06:10 PM

I don't think that it's HRT Estertwo because I'm not on any! I was 4 years post-menopause before my surgery. I wonder how many hyster-sisters are post-nauseous, food-tastes-different, losing-weight like we are?
Bether
Unread 10-28-2008, 07:29 PM

I am 12 days post op and I have no appetite and I also eat only because I know I have to ... I asked my dr about this last week when I was getting one of my other kids checked out for something and she said that sometimes with the hormone differences - because our bodies don't require the same amount of fat and stuff that it would if it were thinking it was going to grow a little person - that it isn't asking for it...it could take up to a year before things are "normal" but for me - I am trying different things and I can only eat a little at a time...probably something to do with not eating any food for three days pre and post op...I am snacking and eating often because if I eat until I am "full" I get terrible indigestion and chest pains...take it easy...don't worry about and don't let yourself get run down...important thing is to eat lots of fruits and veggies to keep your iron and other mineral/vitamen intake up ... GL
Unread 10-28-2008, 08:12 PM

Hi ladies,

I too had this issue of no appetite. It lasted for awhile. I'm almost 6 months out from a TAH, and my appetite is much better, but I still have some days when its not so great. It still is not the same since my surgery, but is getting better every month.

I agree with KATIEUSA...all the rearranging of our organs affect some of us differently. This problem of no appetite is more common than people think. I have no idea why doctors act like they have never heard this before when we bring it up. That really makes me mad

You ladies will get your appetite back. It just take longer for some of us.

Hang in there,

lala
Unread 10-29-2008, 01:26 PM

hi sisters, i went to lunch with an ex co-worker today and she had surgery in feb (breast lump removed, no cancer, and reduction). i asked her if she had this no appetite thing after surgery and she said she did too. i am thinking its the anthestesia as Bether's doc said. i still dont like it though.
Unread 10-29-2008, 01:46 PM
no appetite for me

Hi Ladies,
I too have not much appetite and am 7 weeks post-op. I asked my Dr. at my 6 week check up and she said that is perfectly normal. She said everything is just rearranging itself in there and it just takes awhile for you to feel normal again. She said not to feel completely normal for 9 months. I too no longer like chocolate. Before I absolutely loved chocolate, in fact I was known for carrying chocolate in my purse at all times. Don't want it anymore. Wierd!
Also I am nauseous almost every morning but it gets better through the day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register