LAVH Still not myself | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still not myself Still not myself

Unread 11-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Still not myself

Hello everyone,
This venting session may be a bit lengthy... SORRY--(sigh)

It's such a struggle to feel "well" these days. While the acute pain of surgery is gone, I have such deep nagging achy pain. The only way to describe it is a hollow aching center where my uterus used to be. I can't sleep because every position is uncomfortable. I can't stand up for too long, because the bottom of my tummy starts to hurt and burn. Yesterday I was standing on the front porch chatting with some neighbors and this burning sensation wrapped around from the back to both sides and then finally the front. I had to go lie down for a few hours and I hadn't done ANYTHING. I can't sit for too long because the same deep ache starts again. Yesterday I had some discharge that was a cream colored dark reddish/brown. My emotions are all over the place.. My mother says I am evil... and I do feel evil sometimes. I don't get the support I need around here so ... Yeah I am mean sometimes(so I am told) but noone understands how it feels to be confined to bed and home for WEEKS. I am so SICK of my bed..LOL..

I am 36 years old, and my mother lives with me and my children since I am divorced. However, she is such an irritant sometimes. Critical of every move I make. So, naturally after so many scolding sessions, I may jump in the car and drive to a friends' house, or go somewhere.. anywhere but here....If there are any pains later, she is a classic "I told ya so.." I can't LIVE in my bed you know?

My teenagers don't understand. Although they are mommies' babies, they are confused and don't know what I am feeling and are more of an irritant than anything too...
I am worried about returning to work. Winter is coming and we need money. Bottom line. I have it in my head that I would allow myself 4 weeks to be out. I still feel so weak sometimes and the daily pain is draining. What do you guys do to get through this. Is what I am feeling normal? I just don't know how much longer I can stand feeling this way. I am starting to regret even having the surgery. I am told that the deep "ache" is here to stay. It's the consequence we pay for having things removed...

I hope that everyone is doing better than me, and if you aren't, I hope you feel much better. Oh yeah, I don't have an abdominal binder. Would that help me?

BronzeCaramel
LAVH/October 20, 2010
Ovarian/Uterine Fibroids
Endometrioma/Endometriosis of Bowel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Re: Still not myself

i'm sorry things are going so rough for you and the deep ache should go away mine did there is no "price to pay" for choosing to try to have a healthy life whoever told you that is just not very understanding ..i used an abdominal binder for quite awile and i thought it was the best thing ever ..also an icepack on your sore belly may help again it did me ...no you can't live in bed but remember to go slow
Unread 11-14-2010, 10:36 AM

Thanks @ mam123
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2010, 10:44 AM

i think you should cut yourself some slack. youre not even a month out of surgery. i was home for 6 weeks and it took many more months before i felt physically better. i am at 9 months now and sometimes still have aches in my pelvis region when i stand too much. it can take up to a year to heal. be patient with yourself . and if youre kids are teenagers, they probably understand more than you think. ive got 3 of my own.
Unread 11-14-2010, 10:51 AM

My surgery was October 5 - I went back to work (teaching) the 25th. I worked 8 hours, came home - ate and fed my children - and went to bed until 6 am the next morning. I did that every day for a week; then slept the whole weekend... only just now do I not feel like I need 20 hours of sleep a day.

For the pain - I had 800 mg Ibuprofen. I took it every 8 hours whether I was hurting or not.

I go back to nursing next week (at my 6 week date).
Unread 11-14-2010, 11:24 AM

I am ashamed to say that I actually liked the way the narcotics made me feel. It seemed that I could accomplish anything around the house that I wanted to when I was taking them. I haven't had any for about a week, but boy do I miss em. Sad huh?
Unread 11-14-2010, 12:27 PM

Sad, IDK - I've always been afraid to take narcotics; both biological parents spent a lot of time in the federal prison system for drugs - I figure I got a double addiction gene.

Ibuprofen might be what you need for the ache, though.
Unread 11-14-2010, 12:50 PM

Take it easy on yourself. You are still early in your recovery. I had that achy feeling too but no discharge. It did go away and never came back. I used ice on my belly and took Aleve.

Have you talked to your doctor about the discharge.

In time when everything settles down you will feel better about the surgery. I'm 8 months now and feel better now than I have in years.

Sending you some support
Unread 11-14-2010, 04:00 PM

I just had to check the calendar to see how far out from surgery you were. You are just over two weeks. Give yourself time!!! The pain does get better little bits at a time. I do think a call to the dr might be in order to find out about the discharge and burning pain. I am not sure that is 100 percent normal. I will say though I am almost six weeks out and still take a little something almost every day for aches. Lately it is a little tylenol in the morning and then maybe a little ibuprofen before bed. Beyond that...you are early enough in your recovery to still take pain meds fairly regularly. Cut yourself some slack...slow short walks...sitting then laying then standing then laying etc seemed to help a lot for me. Changing positions. Maybe some books or magazines? a short trip to a friend's house...then coming home to rest. Things to break up the monotony!
Unread 11-14-2010, 04:43 PM

I would definitely stop being so hard on yourself. And please,your mother says you are evil. That is absolute bs in my opinion. I think you are dealing with a lot of stuff and need to be kind to yourself. Don't allow others to run you down. I have a dad who did that and even told me that this was a payback for my "wild and crazy' days!! Yeah right wild and crazy was working 10 hours a day, seven days a week, no vacations, and not real good pay. So I am sure my god sat there and said let's punish her. don't think so!!! Hate to say it but some parents are total idiots. Sending supportive hugs and please be kind to yourself. It may take time but it is worth is.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register