TAH- a much better experience than I expected | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH- a much better experience than I expected TAH- a much better experience than I expected

Unread 08-09-2012, 10:26 PM
TAH- a much better experience than I expected

After almost two years of painful, blood clot filled, month long periods caused by multiple fibroids, I decided to have my TAH. My life was completely taken over by my heavy bleeding. There were days when I could not leave the house bacause I would bleed through an ultra tampon and a pad in less than an hour. I had more "accidents" while out than I care to remember, and working under these conditions was unbearable.
My mother had uterine cancer, and even though fibroids are rarely cancerous, my doctor and I decided that TAH was the best option for me.
I had my surgery on August 7. I was scared to death! I had read of so many bad experiences on this site. I was literally crying an hour before my surgery until my wonderful doctor came in to see me. She set my mind at ease as we discussed my fears, and though I was still afraid, I knew I trusted her and she would take the best possible care of me. In to surgery I went and 2 hours later I was in recovery with moderate pain. I LOVED my morphine pump- within an hour, my pain level was at a 1 and I was resting comfortably. I spent the next two days in the hospital. Early the second morning my cath was removed. I was very worried about the whole catheter issue, but i didn't even feel it when it was in and it didn't hurt coming out either. On the second day my pump was taken from me and I was started on oral pain killers. I had slight nausea and a slight fever for a few hours. My nurse suggested I take a shower , which made me feel human again. I started walking a little in the hallway on my own as I was suffering from insomnia. Gas happened and though it wasn't pleasant, it was not as painful as I had feared!
I came home earlier today and have been resting. I am really good at doing literally nothing, just laying around reading and watching tv for a few days is going to be great! I hope that all of you have as good an experience as I have had so far. I know that having this hysterectomy is the best decision I have ever made. Adios uterus, hello fibroid free life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Re: TAH- a much better experience than I expected

Thank you for sharing your experience. It will reassure our pre-op ladies. In the meantime, continue taking good care of yourself by walking as much as your body will let you (when your tummy gets heavy, it is time to go horizontal), drinking lots of water, eating well and getting lots of rest. Take care! :hugs5:
Unread 08-11-2012, 12:30 AM

I'm happy to hear that everything went well and that you are on the road to recovery. Isn't it great that eventhough we have pain from the surgery, we experience a better quality of life immediately!
Happy healing and lots of ((HUGS)) to you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2012, 02:10 AM
TAH- a much better experience than I expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandatd View Post
I'm happy to hear that everything went well and that you are on the road to recovery. Isn't it great that eventhough we have pain from the surgery, we experience a better quality of life immediately!
Happy healing and lots of ((HUGS)) to you!!!
It is amazing that four days post surgery I am having a better quality of life! I have decreased my pain meds to just before bedtime though I am still taking Motrin regularly. I am just so happy with how good I'm feeling- I will not over do it, but it's tempting! Hope you are doing as well yourself. Stay positive sisters!
Unread 08-11-2012, 06:23 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience! So glad to hear that everything went well for you. All the best for a smooth, easy & fast recovery! Welcome to the other side.
Unread 08-11-2012, 07:24 AM

I also had a great recovery. I went out for a few hours at day 4 and 6 (I did not drive) DH went back to work at day 7 and I was up and down doing things by myself. I was back to works at 2 weeks post op cleaning homes and went to an amusement park at week 4 It was great to be able to get back to feeling like yourself. My only complaint is that sometimes I get very tired. Other than that I feel great. Best surgery I ever had. I love the new me. But everyone heals not at the same pace. Some ladies here really have a hard time. But it is always nice to hear the positive sides also
Unread 08-11-2012, 08:04 AM

Thanks for posting the good news, BBB70!

I'm a week and a half out from my TAH, and I, too, am amazed at how well I feel. I really feared being bed-ridden for weeks after this surgery, but I'm going out for walks every day. I've been taking only Ibuprofen since around day three, and I'm not even sure I need that any more.

Happy healing.
Unread 08-12-2012, 06:58 AM

I hope your recovery continues on that path just remember to follow the docs rules no matter how well you feel and it should be smooth sailing and you'll feel like a whole new woman in no time at all
Unread 08-12-2012, 07:47 AM

glad it went well. Continue to take it easy
Unread 08-12-2012, 07:54 AM

Thanks for sharing as it was nice to hear another positive story. I really stopped refusing meds after 24 hours and though I've had occassional panadol I'm surprised 1. I feel no pain and 2. That I have an appetite and3. I'm not tired. It's day 3. I hope I continue to feel this way! After my last lap a few months ago I was back playing light roller Derby a week later. I won't push it that quick this time but gives me confidence that I can go back sooner than the 3-6 months I was told.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register